Maturing without Livestock?

PlasticOcean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question to all you experienced reefers out there is how long a tank can mature with phantom feeding and no livestock?

The reason - I began a cycle a week ago and everything is going well. But I've recently felt the need to cut back on spending for a number of reasons (including the huge startup cost and a hefty deposit to my landlord). To be clear, I didn't irresponsibly start the tank - I am aware it is an expensive hobby and can handle necessary purchases. But I'm hoping to clamp down on spending for a while, out of caution (freelancer).

So I'm wondering, how long can my tank go (post-cycle) without any livestock (this includes CUC) to speak of? Would phantom feeding be enough to keep the nitrifying bacteria happy for another 30 days or so - post-cycle?

An added element to the Q is whether I can get by for a month or so without adding a light? Was thinking I could introduce window light after nitrites and ammonia read zero for a week. Diffuse, nothing blasting the tank but enough to allow the algae blooms to start.

What are your thoughts on this approach and if possible, is there anything I should look out for? Thanks in advance for your help!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I can see we are at the classic no link stalemate, I accept that arrival. We disagree.

PlasticO can consider whats been sent of the work by MSteven1. The thread sent certainly wasn’t a collection of failed bacteria when tested in various ways including the unassisted cycle + ammonia testing same as we do on fed cycles, just delayed three months

Food gets into the unassisted cycling reef because its not sealed, where we debate is whether humans have to buy and directly add the food. there are multiple natural feed inputs you are omitting.

the day we find one single example of a fallow-starved cycle I’ll make it link #1 here

We can send a message to any entrant to track out how their cycle prediction panned out. No reef cycles stall or starve, that remains top claim till we get a working example from you. If anyone wants to add to testing make an unassisted batch of rocks, wait three and a half months as it stews and it will carry fish at the end of the wait, with you never having to feed or add bottle bac even once. The specific start date for any unassisted marine cycle is three and a half months, add your unassisted testing outcomes to page twenty of that thread. The actual start date may prove sooner than 3.5 months with more seneye testing updates like what NeonRabbit is doing currently in the chemistry forum, but until new patterns emerge 3.5 will do well enough to keep the safe start trend going above for the public if they want to test the method.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I can see we are at the classic no link stalemate, I accept that arrival. We disagree.

PlasticO can consider what he was sent, he’s able to discern if what your writing is correct.
I mean, for the record, you’re the one making the assertion (that reef tank bacteria are ‘self feeding’), the burden of proof is on you. And also, I posted a link that was an article about a peer-reviewed scientific study on the topic of what bacteria do when there is a lack of a food source (and it was about marine bacteria), you posted no links (but referenced a link you left a month ago to a thread where the sole evidence of your assertion was an ammonia test (you simultaneously use ammonia tests as proof when it is conducive to your assertion and claim that they are false and useless when they aren’t)). So, the whole ‘no link’ thing is as much, if not more you than it is me. But fair enough, we disagree.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I like to do is leave predictions scattered around on various threads regarding filtration so when digital testing (such as seneye nh3) takes off, outnumbers API one day in status reports, we will have things to measure and reflect upon. Your predictions are logged just the same

it’ll take about three more years before digital testing takes off in popularity / prices drop but by then we will have thousands of 2021 era filter and cycle posts to pick apart. It’ll be so fun you gotta admit, to see what becomes of new cycling science predictions

as soon as 20 of 20 testers have the real ability to discern what their ammonia controls do, and by when, we will indeed have the missing proofs of today.

one neat aspect of todays forum search ability is we can now source out about 150 clear seneye cycles to begin extracting timelines from, this is key especially if we ourselves don’t plan on owning one. What other people find and post in pattern is handy and legit science

Last edited:
Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back