Maxima help please

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I’ve had my maxima for about 5 years now. I’ve grown this clam from 2” to its current size around 8-9”. I have noticed over the past year it was getting too big for its little perch on a rock but it was happy as can be.

over the past two weeks, it started to lean forward off the rock. At first I thought it was because of GSP bothering it, so I trimmed that back. Didn’t work.

finally I woke up Christmas morning to the clam on the ground on top of GSP. I moved it to the right side of the tank in a groove on the rock where it should be comfortable. It has not opened since. Any suggestions? Could it be possible the foot ripped and this clams a goner? Some pictures below show where it was and where I moved it to and how it looks right now. Those green mushrooms have been on this clam for 3 years. Never had a need to snip them off.
Thanks!!!

47F8FF4E-B6D2-4930-B8E2-0F76E86A02B4.jpeg DA57C7CD-3337-474F-A470-20365A9113A3.jpeg 958C5DEE-E692-47E9-91D1-17284796A525.jpeg image.jpg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have clams, but no expert. Mine seem to stay closed after any kind of disruption like moving etc. hopefully it fell from trying to move which would mean it let go and didn’t tear free. I would monitor. If the mantle starts to recede (pull loose from the shell) then I would worry.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all!

I’ve had my maxima for about 5 years now. I’ve grown this clam from 2” to its current size around 8-9”. I have noticed over the past year it was getting too big for its little perch on a rock but it was happy as can be.

over the past two weeks, it started to lean forward off the rock. At first I thought it was because of GSP bothering it, so I trimmed that back. Didn’t work.

finally I woke up Christmas morning to the clam on the ground on top of GSP. I moved it to the right side of the tank in a groove on the rock where it should be comfortable. It has not opened since. Any suggestions? Could it be possible the foot ripped and this clams a goner? Some pictures below show where it was and where I moved it to and how it looks right now. Those green mushrooms have been on this clam for 3 years. Never had a need to snip them off.
Thanks!!!

47F8FF4E-B6D2-4930-B8E2-0F76E86A02B4.jpeg DA57C7CD-3337-474F-A470-20365A9113A3.jpeg 958C5DEE-E692-47E9-91D1-17284796A525.jpeg image.jpg
Mine tears its foot here and there but it sounds like its trying to move and will try if its suddenly stressed. Is there a change in light or water flow recently ?
Pic on left- clam looks pretty darn good. Cant really see one on right
Assure also Temp and salinity did not suddenly rise out of range

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything else in the tank is great and open. No swings that I’ve known of. I truly think it outgrew its spot and just weighed too much off the rock. I have no other space for it, so the pictures of it being closed are on the other side of the tank now. Here’s a full tank shot now. The clams perch was on the top left. And you’ll see it now on the right closed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: clam has turned itself sideways in that same area. A little close to my nem. But glad it moved a bit. Hoping it’s settling in the new spot. As of now, still completely closed

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything else in the tank is great and open. No swings that I’ve known of. I truly think it outgrew its spot and just weighed too much off the rock. I have no other space for it, so the pictures of it being closed are on the other side of the tank now. Here’s a full tank shot now. The clams perch was on the top left. And you’ll see it now on the right closed
I love your tank. It looks like a reef jungle.

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank. It looks like a reef jungle.
Thanks! It just takes upkeep and trimming of the GSP. As you can tell from the picture, it’s due for a trimming as it grows up the glass! Lol

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It just takes upkeep and trimming of the GSP. As you can tell from the picture, it’s due for a trimming as it grows up the glass! Lol
Would you ever add xenias to your tank? I saw a tank on YouTube that resembles yours:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks shallow enough for the clam to be on the sand. Especially if is too heavy for on top. Falling a lot could be trouble. Nice clam. Great job raising it!

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those mushrooms on the side of your clam will sting the mantle.
Really?? They’ve been there for years. I guess since it’s closed now is the time to cut them off. Just didn’t want to bother the clam too much. Going on 3 days closed now.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Really?? They’ve been there for years. I guess since it’s closed now is the time to cut them off. Just didn’t want to bother the clam too much. Going on 3 days closed now.
You might not need to cut them off. Maybe take a powerhead and blast them for a little while and they might release in their own.
Then you could weigh down a plastic bowl with a rock and put them in it hoping they will attach to the rock. Then you can put the rock somewhere cool.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see conflicting reports on mushrooms whether they can do any damage to clams or not. I wouldn't risk it, but that's just little ol paranoid me.

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any suggestions on the safest way to remove the mushrooms? I’m worried I’m going to lose the clam at this point. Still closed today. I’m worried to take a razor to the mushrooms and scratch the shell? I could try cuticle scissors maybe? Not sure they are strong enough

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
any suggestions on the safest way to remove the mushrooms? I’m worried I’m going to lose the clam at this point. Still closed today. I’m worried to take a razor to the mushrooms and scratch the shell? I could try cuticle scissors maybe? Not sure they are strong enough
Scratching the shell shouldn’t hurt the clam as long as you don’t break the shell. Using a razor blade or something to get smoothly under their foot can work. On a rock I would blast with a powerhead or set out for a while and they loosen up, but you don’t want your clam out of water.

But the flow of a power head might work.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite a long time to stay closed. Good luck.
IF you are concerned about shrooms, use razor blade and remove in the water. Any handling could tick it off more.

Make sure nothing is suddenly after it.

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m worried at this point that it possibly ripped it’s foot when it fell off its original rock. It fell off Christmas morning and has been closed ever since. Not sure what else to do at this point. Going to try and clean off some of the mushrooms and I’ll try and position it better on its new rock. I do have an open frag rock hanging on my glass, do we think that’s a better place for it? Not sure the foot would want to attach to something like that.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if you can get a nice stable rock under it. Mine have sat on bottom without attaching to things in the past with no issues.
I really am hoping for the best. I hate losing creatures I have had a long time.

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just got off 5 or 6 of the mushrooms near the mantle. So maybe that will help. I positioned it a bit better on the rock. The clam was very responsive the whole time, closing further when touched/moved. So it’s definitely not a goner just yet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back