Maybe getting an Eel

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was at my LFS, admiring the Snowflake moray eels that they had in stock, had one probably about 12-14" and 2 babies, probably around 4-6", and my dad casually drops "hey son would you like one?" Granted I wouldn't mind out, they are cool looking, I have a 120 gal display for it and could move around my rock work (going to have to do it anyways) but I politely told my dad no as I need to get a lid for my tank and a few other things. I'm afraid that my dad might still try to get it for me, and i mentioned if he did I would rather get a smaller one over a larger one, and watch it grow.

If I were to somehow get one, any care tips?

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you currently have in the 120?

Currently, Dwarf fuzzy lionfish, 2 Clarki Clowns, Longnose Butterfly, Foxface, Purple Tang, Tomini Tang, Copperband Butterfly, Orange Timor Wrasse, Pyramid Butterfly, and I believe that's it. Smallest fish might be a clown but everything else is good size.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflakes are notorious carpet surfers so you are correct in a lid, but really much more. I mean you must seal every crack and crevice because they will find the tinyest of openings. Covering the top of overflows also. A 12=14" is actually a good size to start out in a 120g. I like to start eels out in an observaton tank 1st, to accustom them to living in captivity and get them on a feeding routine. Do your research on feeding eels. Especially with such a full tank I would get more of medium sized one and establish his feeding routine before introducing him into the display.

Your tank is currently covered though, correct, fuzzies and wrasses will jump.

AnacapaReefs

Lover of Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snowflake swam down the drain (After squeezing through the overflow grate) and lived in my sump (50 gallons) for 4 months until I found him while cleaning.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back