Media Reactors vs Calcium Reactors

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm completely new to reactors and got an IM reactor in a recent tank pick up. I guess my question is, what is the difference between media reactor vs a calcium reactor? Can you use one for the other or are they completely independent?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally different... A media reactor is for filtration media, such as carbon or GFO to remove waste compounds from your tank. A calcium reactor has its own pump for a recirculation loop that will also require feed pump and CO2 supply to melt calcium media (old coral skeletons) to supplement calcium and alkalinity for the coral your tank.

Last edited:

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media reactors are just a remote container with consistent flow through it. You can use them for many thing like whats listed above. Calcium reactors are more intricate with the introduction of CO2 and its own dedicated pump. Each does something different.
Here is a basic idea of what each is for. Please feel free to correct me, I am just throwing out what I know off hand.

GFO= phosphate removal
Carbon= water clarity and toxin removal
Algae=phosphate and nitrate removal (requires light in/around reactor)
Biopellets=carbon dosing and phosphate removal, Nitrate reactor is similar to this
Kalk reactor= calcium and alkalinity
Calicum reactor=calcium and alkalinity (more complex system but more stable results)
Zeovit reactors= specific to the zeovit system

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I would just do extensive research into anything you add onto your tank. I made the mistake early on trying to run a fuge and GFO at the same time.

Kinda off topic but my girlfriend has a saying when it comes to tattoos: Wait 1 year before getting any tattoo you want to make sure you really want it. That doesn't exactly apply here, but the idea is the same. Take your time, nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I would just do extensive research into anything you add onto your tank. I made the mistake early on trying to run a fuge and GFO at the same time.

Kinda off topic but my girlfriend has a saying when it comes to tattoos: Wait 1 year before getting any tattoo you want to make sure you really want it. That doesn't exactly apply here, but the idea is the same. Take your time, nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.
Ain't that the truth. I got my first tattoo at 20 and didn't get my second till 7 years later. Haha

I think I'm going to run it for just carbon on this new set up I'm working on and go slow. It's probably just going to be a frag grow out tank.

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am about to add a GFO reactor to my sump/refugium. Can you explain why it's not a good idea?
Sue

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They strip phosphate incredibly fast. What are your phosphate levels now?

Just checked: between .25 and .5. I need to get my nitrates to around 10 if possible.... that seems to be where my seahorses get active and happy. Don't know if I should add media reactors, biopellets, algae scrubber, carbon dosing, etc. My sump has a center section with chaeto but it's not really growing at all.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back