Medications to keep on hand

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Can I use the fake decorations from Petco in a qt. There's some branching ones that look look branching rock. The reason I ask is because one of qt is a 30 gallon hex so it's tall and I'm getting ready to put my long nose hawk in but wanted something at different levels for him to test on but wasn't sure if these still absorbed copper or anything

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Can I use the fake decorations from Petco in a qt. There's some branching ones that look look branching rock. The reason I ask is because one of qt is a 30 gallon hex so it's tall and I'm getting ready to put my long nose hawk in but wanted something at different levels for him to test on but wasn't sure if these still absorbed copper or anything
I wouldn't recommend using any decorations in QT. If they are deemed reef safe they would be fine in a DT.

We just don't know enough about decorations to know exactly what they are made of and if they will absorb meds.

It's safe to use PVC for hiding caves etc.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend using any decorations in QT. If they are deemed reef safe they would be fine in a DT.

We just don't know enough about decorations to know exactly what they are made of and if they will absorb meds.

It's safe to use PVC for hiding caves etc.

Thank you. Yea I planned on using then for the bottom but wanted something that would add some height. My long nose perches on my gyres in my dt but I had a potters show signs of velvet after being in the tank for months so I'm trading all them out and treating

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i treated my QT w/ prime to bring ammonia down a bit. how long should I wait before adding general cure and cupramine? Do I need to drop in activated carbon before I being adding general cure and cupramine?

bug5447

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In quarantine process, do you first use a dewormer like prazipro, then anti-parasitic like cupramine, and lastly broad spectrum antibiotic like Furan2?

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i treated my QT w/ prime to bring ammonia down a bit. how long should I wait before adding general cure and cupramine? Do I need to drop in activated carbon before I being adding general cure and cupramine?

Prime and cupramine can be a fatal combination. I would definitely wait at least 48 hours. I don’t think carbon would remove Prime so I would just wait.

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In quarantine process, do you first use a dewormer like prazipro, then anti-parasitic like cupramine, and lastly broad spectrum antibiotic like Furan2?

I would Google different QT methods and pick the one you think will work best for you. I don’t think there’s clear cut “right” method. I used to to Prazi and then cupramine but I’ve decided that I’m just going to do Prazi from now on after losing a fish in QT. I think QT is stressful for the fish and I don’t have a ton of expensive fish in my display tank so I’ve decided I’m willing to assume a little more risk. If I had a fully stocked 180 with a thousand dollars worth of fish in it I would probably take a different approach.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump.gif

The original post of this thread has been updated with new information.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost have all these now! I am going to start heading over to my LFS that is known for not having the best fish tanks and see if I can start Saving fish.... I am hopeful I can then sell them to good homes with the 99% chance that it is 100% healthy and won't infect peoples DT. I also hope to be able to sell them VERY cheap to any school that may want to get a Saltwater Tank but can't Quarantine.

Know @Humblefish your reach is widespread sharing your knowledge as you do. I humbly thank you sir.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a question on meds that leech into rocks

so i have 2 copper QT tanks going, and was going to then transfer the fish into a 40 gallon breeder for additional observation. i was going to make the 40 gallon into a decent FOWLR type tank with rock and sand and all that jazz. if i did that, would i be able to use meds (not copper or CP) in there and then use that rock later in a reef tank?

@4FordFamily @HotRocks @Humblefish

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have 2 copper QT tanks going, and was going to then transfer the fish into a 40 gallon breeder for additional observation. i was going to make the 40 gallon into a decent FOWLR type tank with rock and sand and all that jazz. if i did that, would i be able to use meds (not copper or CP) in there and then use that rock later in a reef tank?

I would probably give the rocks a quick muriatic acid bath (10-15 minutes) for good measure. Because if you start having issues with corals/inverts, you don't want to wonder in the back of your mind if it's because of meds leaching out of those rocks.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably give the rocks a quick muriatic acid bath (10-15 minutes) for good measure. Because if you start having issues with corals/inverts, you don't want to wonder in the back of your mind if it's because of meds leaching out of those rocks.

hmm yeah i hate to risk it unnecessarily. that would kinda defeat the purpose of making it live rock, though.

this qt stuff takes too many tanks! lol i feel like my house is suddenly flooded in tanks

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband thinks our apt looks like a pet store since I have a conditioning tank, a hospital tank, and will probably convert one of my tanks to a frag tank. ofc... then all my display tanks.

:p

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be careful with muriatic acid reacting with other chemicals. First you done know what toxins could be produced. Second you don’t know if muriatic acid does anything to copper etc.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful with muriatic acid reacting with other chemicals. First you done know what toxins could be produced. Second you don’t know if muriatic acid does anything to copper etc.

Purely anecdotal, but I've used muriatic acid dozens of times on rock I had previously exposed to copper. All muriatic acid does is eat away at the outer layer of the rock where the copper is stored.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im currently dosing metroplex prophylactically in my QT with 6 fish its 55g can i use metroplex with prazipro? tank has more then enough water movement just trying to make the most of these 10 days that im dosing metroplex i didnt plan to dose copper unless i needed to the fish will be in QT for 30 days

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i have a royal gramma with a bacterial infection:

IMG_0823.JPG

i'm about a week in for copper treatment and round 1 of GC dosed. can i dose round 2 of GC and start kanaplex + metroplex + furan 2? if memory serves the ABX require lots of water changes, so how long does GC need to run for to be effective before i water change it out? Thanks!

@HotRocks @4FordFamily @Humblefish

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i have a royal gramma with a bacterial infection:

IMG_0823.JPG

i'm about a week in for copper treatment and round 1 of GC dosed. can i dose round 2 of GC and start kanaplex + metroplex + furan 2? if memory serves the ABX require lots of water changes, so how long does GC need to run for to be effective before i water change it out? Thanks!

@HotRocks @4FordFamily @Humblefish
GC does it's work in a few hours. I cannot make anything out of the photo. When mixing this many meds, pay attention to cloudy water (it can be deadly, indicating bacteria is consuming oxygen in the water). Be prepared for water changes, re-dosing meds prior to adding the new water, and ensure a bubbler and small powerhead are breaking the surface to increase oxygen saturation as this is a somewhat common by product of mixing meds.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC does it's work in a few hours. I cannot make anything out of the photo. When mixing this many meds, pay attention to cloudy water (it can be deadly, indicating bacteria is consuming oxygen in the water). Be prepared for water changes, re-dosing meds prior to adding the new water, and ensure a bubbler and small powerhead are breaking the surface to increase oxygen saturation as this is a somewhat common by product of mixing meds.

yeah sorry, the fish hides under the filter when i'm in the room :confused: i'll see if i can get a better pic today

i have a powerhead aimed at the surface and an airstone filter thingy, so i should be good for oxygenation, but i'll keep an eye out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back