Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm still fairly new to reefing and this is my first wrasse and I've never had a parasite issue before, so bare with me.

Couple days ago got a Melanurus Wrasse from my LFS and never noticed anything on him when I got him and hadn't noticed any weird behavior at the store. He was eating great and very energetic. Well today during feeding he started doing this quick rub against the rocks every now and then. I haven't really seem him do it much since, but I did notice this white dot near the back end of his tail. Should I be worried?? I didn't QT because I use this LFS all the time and never had issues and they've always been top notch, but now I'm worried he may have ick. Any recommendations on what to do or thoughts? Like I said, he's been eating great and very energetic. I also read that they may do this as part of hunting for pods?

Any help is very appreciated!

IMG_20200120_213759.jpg Screenshot_20200120-214740.png

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine just keep an eye on him if you see more spots develop then it might be a concern but for now he looks great. Also just for future reference use safety stop bath if you don’t QT as that will help you considerably. See the link

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I have ich in my tank (practicing ich management) and I have 4 wrasses. All my wrasses sometimes scratch the rock. I was thinking it was a hunting for pods, but it usually means ich.
My wrasses usually only slightly show it on the fins...its really hard to see. If they are scratching, they have flukes or ich, and it looks like ich.

Be on the lookout for it. I have 2 tangs and 4 wrasses, 2 which are sand burrowers, so it was impossible for me to catch them all. Just try to keep stress free and feed good foods. Wrasses have more natural defense with their slime coat for ich.

Also, keep in mind a lot of LFS run low levels of copper that hide ich/velvet for many weeks/months. Ich can be in the gills and never present on the body.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm still fairly new to reefing and this is my first wrasse and I've never had a parasite issue before, so bare with me.

Couple days ago got a Melanurus Wrasse from my LFS and never noticed anything on him when I got him and hadn't noticed any weird behavior at the store. He was eating great and very energetic. Well today during feeding he started doing this quick rub against the rocks every now and then. I haven't really seem him do it much since, but I did notice this white dot near the back end of his tail. Should I be worried?? I didn't QT because I use this LFS all the time and never had issues and they've always been top notch, but now I'm worried he may have ick. Any recommendations on what to do or thoughts? Like I said, he's been eating great and very energetic. I also read that they may do this as part of hunting for pods?

Any help is very appreciated!

IMG_20200120_213759.jpg Screenshot_20200120-214740.png
Although this could very well be nothing I would watch him for a bit.

If he continues to scratch on rocks and the sand it could be an indication of something other than ich.

If the spots dont get worse and he continues to scratch and then starts hiding and not eating as much it could be flukes.

If he continues to scratch and the spots get more intense you could be dealing with velvet.

I'm not trying to scare you but you don't want anything to get out of control before it's too late.

As long as nothing changes in the next day or so you should be fine. Just keep a close eye on him.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's to hoping it's nothing serious, but will definitely be watching him. I may have to revisit this thread if so and start up a separate QT tank for corals if this ends up being the case and have to treat. All new to me, so hopefully not.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Well here's to hoping it's nothing serious, but will definitely be watching him. I may have to revisit this thread if so and start up a separate QT tank for corals if this ends up being the case and have to treat. All new to me, so hopefully not.
Standard treatment is copper. You can't have corals or inverts in any tanks that has been treated with copper so if you go that route, you need to take fish out and not coral.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back