Melanurus wrasse jetlag?

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I got a melanurus wrasse since a week now and the Last 2 days where the first days he came out- he looks healthy swims around and eats good- the only thing is he only comes out at night and is burried all day- he suddendly is here when the lights Almost completly off and the moonlight starts then he swims around through the whole tank and eats- as soon as the moonlight is out (2 hours from start to finish) he burries himself again and only comes out again at moonlight- even during the day when i feed he isnt Here only at Moonlight. Could he have a jetlag? Is something like that possible for Fish ? Can i so something to „help“ hin to be awake during day and sleep at Night ? Or will je adapt to my schedule over Time ?
Thank you in advance!:)

16A96DD0-18B2-45D4-BDE9-A6319493085A.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that his internal clock is still on the timezone he came from, or another possibility is someone is harassing him during the day so he emerges at night to avoid a bully. Since it's only been 2 days he's likely still adjusting to your tank's schedule.

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that his internal clock is still on the timezone he came from, or another possibility is someone is harassing him during the day so he emerges at night to avoid a bully. Since it's only been 2 days he's likely still adjusting to your tank's schedule.
Thank you for your answer! There is noone else und then a copperband and 3 anthias and when he is out they all are at peace no chasing or fighting- yeah he came out 2 days but he is in the Tank for a Week allready

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave em be, they can figure out when it's ok to come out. No poking or proding.
Yeah he comes out everynight at moonlight since 2 days and was burrief a week before

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Every burrowing wrasse needs a few days to acclimate to your tank. I've had them hide out up to 2 weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Compromise your lighting by lowering white intensity to make tank dimmer and see if it favors it.

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Every burrowing wrasse needs a few days to acclimate to your tank. I've had them hide out up to 2 weeks.
Thank you for your answer! I understand but he burried for a week and now he is coming out every day but only at moonlight or is this Maybe still a process of adapating to new Environment light schedule ect?

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compromise your lighting by lowering white intensity to make tank dimmer and see if it favors it.
Thank you very much ! Yeah i always had only blues all the Time and Started like 3 weeks ago to Go for 3hours AB+ and then the Rest only Blue . So maybe i try to lower the whites again :)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your answer! I understand but he burried for a week and now he is coming out every day but only at moonlight or is this Maybe still a process of adapating to new Environment light schedule ect?
At least its making a appearance, they usually will acclimate to light schedule. Much like a dog, melanurus are food driven wrasses for sure. My hunter would stay up after lights out for the first month or so. I then realized he was busy destroying my flatworm and amphipod population. Ironically after I lost my mandarin, the amphipods are back with a vengeance.

OP
OP
Anthygod

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least its making a appearance, they usually will acclimate to light schedule. Much like a dog, melanurus are food driven wrasses for sure. My hunter would stay up after lights out for the first month or so. I then realized he was busy destroying my flatworm and amphipod population. Ironically after I lost my mandarin, the amphipods are back with a vengeance.
Ok Great Thank you very much - besides the main topic so you have/had a mandarin and a melanurus? I would Love to have a mandarin too but i heard its Not a Good idea to keep them bith because they eat the same things ?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually this doesn’t help and can potentially confuse them more - The wrasse will on its own adjust to your schedule.

These guys do have a body clock that’s usually set to their timezone they were originally from. This is why I leave all wrasses at the LFS for a while to see how it goes, when they have changed their body clock they will then adjust much easier to the tank.
Ok Great Thank you very much - besides the main topic so you have/had a mandarin and a melanurus? I would Love to have a mandarin too but i heard its Not a Good idea to keep them bith because they eat the same things ?
The reason it’s not recommended is wrasses and mandarins can both decimate a young pod population, if your population is mature it won’t be decimated as easily.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Usually this doesn’t help and can potentially confuse them more - The wrasse will on its own adjust to your schedule.

These guys do have a body clock that’s usually set to their timezone they were originally from. This is why I leave all wrasses at the LFS for a while to see how it goes, when they have changed their body clock they will then adjust much easier to the tank.

The reason it’s not recommended is wrasses and mandarins can both decimate a young pod population, if your population is mature it won’t be decimated as easily.
Owning a pet store, in most cases, there is no clock. The transhipper ships these to the wholesaler who fills weekly orders to the pet stores and most pet stores wont have them a week or two. If we go by clocks, thats a lot of clocks. The industry standard is introduction in low light and gradually bringing it up.
This is why you'll notice most store tanks are heavy blue in lighting.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owning a pet store, in most cases, there is no clock. The transhipper ships these to the wholesaler who fills weekly orders to the pet stores and most pet stores wont have them a week or two. If we go by clocks, thats a lot of clocks. The industry standard is introduction in low light and gradually bringing it up.
This is why you'll notice most store tanks are heavy blue in lighting.
That’s interesting - We never did that and I haven’t seen any LFS round here having heavy blue lighting. When I was working at an LFS we would go by adding the fish in then monitoring them instead of dimming the lights down.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That’s interesting - We never did that and I haven’t seen any LFS round here having heavy blue lighting. When I was working at an LFS we would go by adding the fish in then monitoring them instead of dimming the lights down.
Ahh, I see youre in England. Guess we have different practices. Many LFS here utilize blue lighting for fish and to focus on colors. Orphek has a store setting on their Atlantiks which are blue heavy- all for display purpose

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back