Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do these mean? imo, wcs, s.g?
How can I lower Alk safely?
IMO = In my opinion.
WCS = water changes
SG = specific gravity ( salinity )

To lower alk .
besides salt what are you putting in the tank ?
Are you dosing or adding any additives ?
alkalinity that high is really bad .
but as I mentioned in your other post . Being so new of a system and not starting a nitrogen cycle yet . These numbers are going to be all over .
nothing will be stable .

that being said if you have added nitrifying bacteria as suggested . That could contribute to alk being off .
there is a relation between high alkalinity and nitrogen cycle but I can’t think exactly .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is actually quite comical. 6 pages of newbs arguing over whether the tank is cycled with live rock or live sand, yet the glaring issue is salinity is way to low, and alkalinity is way to high. Regardless if the tank is only 8 days old, the OP has coral and fish in it, it's our jobs to make sure those inhabitants live regardless of how the tank was started.

Get salinity in range(1.024 to 1.026), knock down alk with WC(you want this somewhere between 7 and 10. Most go with a middle ground of around 8.5), and I'll bet 90% of your problems go away.

Bravo to @((FORDTECH)) for ignoring the banter, and actually trying to help the OP.
No fish ,
The only way it would have cycled if there was live rock . But there was no mention of what rock or sand was used .
as far as I can tell and I suggested in another post .
dump a bottle of nitrifying bacteria and prey we can “instant cycle “ to save the inhabitants .
At this point I would only assume with no ammonia source it’s stalled but will spike eventually .

high alk and now salinity is a huge contribution to the issues she’s experimenting so soon in the hobby .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Hanna for alk & calcium, I’ll have it by Tue. & all the advice I’m getting from this forum and the lfs are contradictory, I feel I was lead to believe I could add coral but I am starting to think that was pre mature, however my other coral are doing fine.
I want to try making testing easier ..
Hanna calcium tester is a huge pain in the butt .
Salifert is a far easier test in terms of the accuracy needed at this time .
nitrates I’d recommend salifert
Alkalinity is recommend Hanna
Ulr phosphorus Hanna ( convert to phosphates using their chart ( IMO is the most accurate )
Ammonia i would use api as it’s really only needed for cycle .
ph is not necessary to test all the time but it’s a good idea to have a knowledge of how much it fluctuates from
Day to night . But not needed .

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No fish ,
The only way it would have cycled if there was live rock . But there was no mention of what rock or sand was used .
as far as I can tell and I suggested in another post .
dump a bottle of nitrifying bacteria and prey we can “instant cycle “ to save the inhabitants .
At this point I would only assume with no ammonia source it’s stalled but will spike eventually .

high alk and now salinity is a huge contribution to the issues she’s experimenting so soon in the hobby .
She had already used a bottle of nitrifying bacteria at the beginning. On what basis have you decided that she needs to add another bottle?

We need to wait for some answers from the OP as to how the system was set up. Guessing at solutions without knowing the problem is just going to confuse matters.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She had already used a bottle of nitrifying bacteria at the beginning. On what basis have you decided that she needs to add another bottle?

We need to wait for some answers from the OP as to how the system was set up. Guessing at solutions without knowing the problem is just going to confuse matters.
Where did you see the addition ?

live rock and sand to seed from the lfs was used .
I suggested bacteria a few days ago in another post

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This thread is actually quite comical. 6 pages of newbs arguing over whether the tank is cycled with live rock or live sand, yet the glaring issue is salinity is way to low, and alkalinity is way to high. Regardless if the tank is only 8 days old, the OP has coral and fish in it, it's our jobs to make sure those inhabitants live regardless of how the tank was started.

Get salinity in range(1.024 to 1.026), knock down alk with WC(you want this somewhere between 7 and 10. Most go with a middle ground of around 8.5), and I'll bet 90% of your problems go away.

Bravo to @((FORDTECH)) for ignoring the banter, and actually trying to help the OP.

This post is actually quite patronizing and if you read the thread, everything you have suggested has already been mentioned.

I feel for the OP. A lot of people have been on her case about how she started her foray into the reefing world, yet people are arguing amongst each other and providing conflicting guidance on how to proceed.

We all (me included) just need to pause and wait for some more information on the setup so we can actually ascertain what is going on.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I def think I went to fast, but I here now and I’m learning as fast as I can and doing all I can to keep the coral I do have alive. I wasn’t told I had to wait, I bought a “turbo bacterial solution” from the lfs and they said in 48 hrs I was good to go to add coral. I am very aware now of the lack of know how and required equipment. Doesn’t mean I can’t ask for help.

Where did you see the addition ?

live rock and sand to seed from the lfs was used .
I suggested bacteria a few days ago in another post

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have other LFS in your area, i would definately switch. the one you are using seems to be in it for the money and not the welfare of what they sell, or the welfare of you. i dont know what kind of questions you had asked previous to making your purchases (if any at all), but i dont think they were looking out for your wellbeing. assuming that you would have asked any questions, i would hope that they got the feeling that you as a consumer, were new to this, and they should have been more helpful or started with baby steps

i personally suggest doing some learning on the nitrogen cycle. before you buy any other livestock, learn what their specific requirements are. it wouldnt surprise me if that same shop tries to sell you something that isnt compatible. since you are in deep on the reef stuff, i would suggest watching videos (many videos) on reefs for beginners.

if it all dies off while you are waiting for the proper supplies, my suggestion would then to be to restart, and start slow. instead of jumping into a reef tank, start with fish first. thats just my opinion, so take it for what its worth. at this point, i would also stop taking any suggestions from that LFS or take what they say with a grain of salt, and research by asking here, or looking online to confirm that their word is good
Will do thank you I have been doing all the videos for beginners and my other coral are doing great, they love the lighting and flow of the tank and are open. I will keep researching!

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Hanna for alk & calcium, I’ll have it by Tue. & all the advice I’m getting from this forum and the lfs are contradictory, I feel I was lead to believe I could add coral but I am starting to think that was pre mature, however my other coral are doing fine.
First of all your LFS is in the business to sell you stuff so keep that in the back of your mind when they give you advise. I've kept Xenia for years. Besides all the other stuff you have going on including stocking an 8 day old tank soft coral and especially Xenia don't like low Phosphate and Nitrate. I lowered my Phosphates and nitrates way down when I started getting more advanced corals and my Xenia went from the size of a head of cauliflower to about the size of a golf ball. Finding a balance is difficult, especially for a beginner. For Xenia I find nitrates between at least 5 and 10 and Alk at least .1. Mine have recovered almost back to their previous size and my other corals are doing great.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do thank you I have been doing all the videos for beginners and my other coral are doing great, they love the lighting and flow of the tank and are open. I will keep researching!
You got yourself quite a tread. If I could make my build tread so popular ;)

please ignore all the “clever clogs” Honesty I feel ashamed how arrogant some comments are

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the tank now, just taking pics of the other corals I have to show there seemingly happy.
0770713E-C178-483F-A0A6-A615CE73D7BB.jpeg
2A3F77C2-F104-4632-902B-96D31DB9D57C.jpeg 1A9168C5-4470-4E73-B539-67836A593E14.jpeg 9EC9B1B8-64BC-4888-935B-1FB620082BC6.jpeg
image.jpg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the tank now, just taking pics of the other corals I have to show there seemingly happy.
0770713E-C178-483F-A0A6-A615CE73D7BB.jpeg
2A3F77C2-F104-4632-902B-96D31DB9D57C.jpeg 1A9168C5-4470-4E73-B539-67836A593E14.jpeg 9EC9B1B8-64BC-4888-935B-1FB620082BC6.jpeg
image.jpg
Since last night you should have already at least checked calibration of your refractor and then retested your tank. And performed some sort or water changes to start the path to correct it.

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since last night you should have already at least checked calibration of your refractor and then retested your tank. And performed some sort or water changes to start the path to correct it.
Yes this is happening now, had to get through Easter. I’ll keep all posted on progress

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes did all of those things! Alk is lower at 13 and salinity is slowly getting back up 1.023 temp is 77.8 and now I’m just waiting for everything to adjust accordingly.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes did all of those things! Alk is lower at 13 and salinity is slowly getting back up 1.023 temp is 77.8 and now I’m just waiting for everything to adjust accordingly.
Looks like you are on the right path good job. 13 is more acceptable and 1.023 is closer.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back