Merediths 75g upgrade

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by melypr1985, Jun 2, 2015.

1. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yaaasssss. I totally want those :) don't worry. I've got time for sure, besides I forget that kind of stuff all the time. I have packages that I need to mail out right now, but I keep forgetting to.

cameronh likes this.

2. cameronh

cameronh Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

Merediths' 180 inwall upgrade!

melypr1985 likes this.
  3. cameronh

cameronh Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

Or merediths' inwall 180 upgrade.

4. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018

And the carpet is out!! Its really happening yall! 1475807596431.jpg

5. thatguyZach

thatguyZach Active Member

Lol is Richard actually helping out with it all?

cameronh likes this.
  6. melypr1985

Yeah Buddy!! He was actually off tonight so he nearly threw out his back pulling up all the tack strips along the edge. This is going to be fun! See you sunday!

cameronh and Bronc like this.
  7. melypr1985

Well ya'll... I have the tank ordered - ended up going with marineland. I did this for price and ease. I also ordered my stand. Now, I'm concerned about how to put this tank in the wall and have it flush with the drywall instead of inset. I wanted to have it framed like a picture on the living room side. That means that if I remove the studs in that wall, I'll be ruining the sheet rock on the other side. So, then I have the problem of having a stand made that is perfectly aligned with the cuts I make on the studs. If i mess it up at all, then the tank could fault and break. I'm thinking my best bet here will be to just have it inset in the wall and have a small counter along the bottom. Thoughts on this? I don't really want cabinetry on the living room side, but ight go that way if I have to.

cameronh likes this.
  8. Paul B

Paul B Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Meredith, I am confused as to your problem. Why is it a problem to have the tank flush with the wall and framed like a picture. I built my tank into a wall like that. It is paneling but I put it in in the 70s.
    The top front opens almost up to the ceiling and closes to where you can hardly see the seam.

[​IMG]

9. RJ Harris

RJ Harris Active Member

Mine too [​IMG][​IMG]
    The has since been painted but u get the idea

10. melypr1985

Right. No, the problem is that I dont want to mess up the sheet rock on the living room side of the wall. I WANT it to be flush with the wall and framed. I DONT want it to be set into the wall, but might have to do it that way. I don't trust that if I had the stand built short and used the studs in the wall as part of the stand that I would have them perfectly level. I'm scared of the whole thing busting a year from now because I wasn't exact enough in my stand prep.

Ramasule likes this.
  11. Ramasule

Ramasule Valuable Member

Project Name: Dick's Disdain

Brew12 and melypr1985 like this.
  12. melypr1985

I think Richard would really like that one. lol (for those who don't realize it, Richard is my husband) ;)

Brew12 likes this.
  13. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Is your concern that you don't want to have to redo the sheet rock on the living room side? If you were willing to redo it, you could take the bottom studs completely out and attach the drywall directly to the tank stand.

Personally, if I ever do an in-wall build, I will purposely have it recessed by about the width of the studs (3 1/2") and put a 6" to 12" granite shelf on that lip and set some bar stools in front of it.

Finatik, melypr1985 and Ramasule like this.
  14. Ramasule

Ramasule Valuable Member

I want somewhere to drink my coffee and eat my cereal while my kids are wrecking the rest of the house.

Brew12 likes this.
  15. cmcoker

cmcoker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I've seen on some in wall builds where part of the tank stand rests on the studs. Someone had leveling feet on that portion to be able to allow a little variance, think it was an in wall build on dfwmas.org.. That was a steel stand though. I'll see if I can find it

Found it, wasn't sure if I had subscribed to it http://dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=117075
    Check out Post #72 pic of stand and #142 close ups of leveling bolts resting on studs

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Brew12 and melypr1985 like this.
  16. Paul B

Paul B Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I just looked under my tank to see what I did because it was in 1979 when I did it so I forgot. I don't have studs under my tank. Instead of studs I made that piece of wall under the tank using a sheet of 1/2" plywood and I installed the paneling to that so that my tank is just about flush with the wall. The plywood is attached on either side of the tank and the floor. It hasn't collapsed or warped yet.
    But I hear after fifty years it may be a problem. :eek:

[​IMG]

Bronc, Brew12 and melypr1985 like this.
  17. melypr1985

Yes!! We don't want to re-texture the wall and we arn't ready to paint the living room yet. Thats on the agenda, but we want to do the whole thing at the same time. I may end up doing it anyway, but I have to sit down with Richard to discuss it a little more.

Brew12 likes this.
  18. melypr1985

Thanks! I have seen that thread and read a lot of it.... though that was a while ago. There are some differences. His stand is steel and it has that lip on the edge that lets the tank sit forward in the wall and be flush with the view side of the wall. My stand will be wood and while I can have leveling feet put on it, I'll probably just shim it. I'm told that I can't have a lip on a wood stand that lets it sit forward.

Brew12 likes this.
  19. cmcoker

cmcoker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Yeah wasn't sure what kind of stand you were going with..

20. melypr1985

That is a very cool build. :D

cmcoker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted