melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to send you this utter chaos........i keep forgetting

Yaaasssss. I totally want those :) don't worry. I've got time for sure, besides I forget that kind of stuff all the time. I have packages that I need to mail out right now, but I keep forgetting to.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or merediths' inwall 180 upgrade.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the carpet is out!! Its really happening yall!
1475807596431.jpg

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol is Richard actually helping out with it all?

Yeah Buddy!! He was actually off tonight so he nearly threw out his back pulling up all the tack strips along the edge. This is going to be fun! See you sunday!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ya'll... I have the tank ordered - ended up going with marineland. I did this for price and ease. I also ordered my stand. Now, I'm concerned about how to put this tank in the wall and have it flush with the drywall instead of inset. I wanted to have it framed like a picture on the living room side. That means that if I remove the studs in that wall, I'll be ruining the sheet rock on the other side. So, then I have the problem of having a stand made that is perfectly aligned with the cuts I make on the studs. If i mess it up at all, then the tank could fault and break. I'm thinking my best bet here will be to just have it inset in the wall and have a small counter along the bottom. Thoughts on this? I don't really want cabinetry on the living room side, but ight go that way if I have to.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meredith, I am confused as to your problem. Why is it a problem to have the tank flush with the wall and framed like a picture. I built my tank into a wall like that. It is paneling but I put it in in the 70s.
The top front opens almost up to the ceiling and closes to where you can hardly see the seam.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meredith, I am confused as to your problem. Why is it a problem to have the tank flush with the wall and framed like a picture. I built my tank into a wall like that. It is paneling but I put it in in the 70s.
The top front opens almost up to the ceiling and closes to where you can hardly see the seam.

Right. No, the problem is that I dont want to mess up the sheet rock on the living room side of the wall. I WANT it to be flush with the wall and framed. I DONT want it to be set into the wall, but might have to do it that way. I don't trust that if I had the stand built short and used the studs in the wall as part of the stand that I would have them perfectly level. I'm scared of the whole thing busting a year from now because I wasn't exact enough in my stand prep.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. No, the problem is that I dont want to mess up the sheet rock on the living room side of the wall. I WANT it to be flush with the wall and framed. I DONT want it to be set into the wall, but might have to do it that way. I don't trust that if I had the stand built short and used the studs in the wall as part of the stand that I would have them perfectly level. I'm scared of the whole thing busting a year from now because I wasn't exact enough in my stand prep.
Is your concern that you don't want to have to redo the sheet rock on the living room side? If you were willing to redo it, you could take the bottom studs completely out and attach the drywall directly to the tank stand.

Personally, if I ever do an in-wall build, I will purposely have it recessed by about the width of the studs (3 1/2") and put a 6" to 12" granite shelf on that lip and set some bar stools in front of it.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your concern that you don't want to have to redo the sheet rock on the living room side? If you were willing to redo it, you could take the bottom studs completely out and attach the drywall directly to the tank stand.

Personally, if I ever do an in-wall build, I will purposely have it recessed by about the width of the studs (3 1/2") and put a 6" to 12" granite shelf on that lip and set some bar stools in front of it.
I want somewhere to drink my coffee and eat my cereal while my kids are wrecking the rest of the house.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen on some in wall builds where part of the tank stand rests on the studs. Someone had leveling feet on that portion to be able to allow a little variance, think it was an in wall build on dfwmas.org.. That was a steel stand though. I'll see if I can find it

Found it, wasn't sure if I had subscribed to it http://dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=117075
Check out Post #72 pic of stand and #142 close ups of leveling bolts resting on studs

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked under my tank to see what I did because it was in 1979 when I did it so I forgot. I don't have studs under my tank. Instead of studs I made that piece of wall under the tank using a sheet of 1/2" plywood and I installed the paneling to that so that my tank is just about flush with the wall. The plywood is attached on either side of the tank and the floor. It hasn't collapsed or warped yet.
But I hear after fifty years it may be a problem. :eek:

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes!! We don't want to re-texture the wall and we arn't ready to paint the living room yet. Thats on the agenda, but we want to do the whole thing at the same time. I may end up doing it anyway, but I have to sit down with Richard to discuss it a little more.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen on some in wall builds where part of the tank stand rests on the studs. Someone had leveling feet on that portion to be able to allow a little variance, think it was an in wall build on dfwmas.org.. That was a steel stand though. I'll see if I can find it

Found it, wasn't sure if I had subscribed to it http://dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=117075
Check out Post #72 pic of stand and #142 close ups of leveling bolts resting on studs

Thanks! I have seen that thread and read a lot of it.... though that was a while ago. There are some differences. His stand is steel and it has that lip on the edge that lets the tank sit forward in the wall and be flush with the view side of the wall. My stand will be wood and while I can have leveling feet put on it, I'll probably just shim it. I'm told that I can't have a lip on a wood stand that lets it sit forward.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have seen that thread and read a lot of it.... though that was a while ago. There are some differences. His stand is steel and it has that lip on the edge that lets the tank sit forward in the wall and be flush with the view side of the wall. My stand will be wood and while I can have leveling feet put on it, I'll probably just shim it. I'm told that I can't have a lip on a wood stand that lets it sit forward.
Yeah wasn't sure what kind of stand you were going with..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back