Metal Halides are the bomb

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to give your post some thought but want to address the yellow Porites lobata. When I had a permit to collect Hawaiian corals for the display at the Natural Energy Lab in Kona, I had the opportunity to examine that pigment. The particular specimen I had contained a non-fluorescent chromoprotein. These proteins are usually produced in response to light intensity at a certain peak wavelength (although the bandwidth could be broad.) Some Porites contain a fluorescent protein although they weren't common off the Big Island (I could count those specimens on the fingers of one hand.) I saw those during night dives using a Light Cannon dive light fitted with Charlie Mazel's filters.
Thanks for the reply, Dana. If you wish please feel free to name the other Porites species and send me some images/specifics (specially lighting) of that system you had at the NEL in Kona through PM, on the side? I'm very interested in the subject.

All the other species of Hawaiian Porites I know of aren't yellow with the exception of some strains of Porites duerdeni, P. lichen. and P. compressa. These last corals aren't as bright as P. lobata in situ though. Thanks for letting me know the differences of the pigments you found.
Waiting on your next post in regards to your thoughts on lighting.
I really appreciate your help.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you had better color with the 12k..or was it 15k bulbs. I was running 20k radiums with coral blues and reef brites and had great colors.

I bought three 400 watt 20k hamiltons for the new build. Maybe with my t5 and reefbrites I can still keep some of that blue color I like.

Great thread. I LOVE my halides. LOVE them..but I live in Oregon and the average temperature year round comes out to like 51 degrees F. So..heat the tank with lights? Ok, cool.

Plus I'm running around 400 gallons so...

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, Dana. If you wish please feel free to name the other Porites species and send me some images/specifics (specially lighting) of that system you had at the NEL in Kona through PM, on the side? I'm very interested in the subject.

All the other species of Hawaiian Porites I know of aren't yellow with the exception of some strains of Porites duerdeni, P. lichen. and P. compressa. These last corals aren't as bright as P. lobata in situ though. Thanks for letting me know the differences of the pigments you found.
Waiting on your next post in regards to your thoughts on lighting.
I really appreciate your help.
The systems at NELHA were outdoors and were illuminated with sunlight (though sometimes we used shade cloth to attenuate intensity.) In some cases, light intensity was greatly reduced in order to experiment with LEDs. Some photos of the 2002 experiments were published here:
I have some full tank shots in a MACNA presentation, somewhere. I'll try to dig those up.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The systems at NELHA were outdoors and were illuminated with sunlight (though sometimes we used shade cloth to attenuate intensity.) In some cases, light intensity was greatly reduced in order to experiment with LEDs. Some photos of the 2002 experiments were published here:
I have some full tank shots in a MACNA presentation, somewhere. I'll try to dig those up.
I see image security issues still exist... :(

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd. I got there fine.
imagesecure.jpg

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran three 400w MH above my 220 and I'll be honest, best my tank ever looked. I loved them. Grew this....was about 18" diameter, I lost it when I switched to leds.

IMG_6366.JPG

Why do you think you lost it? PAR higher or lower? Spectral quality? Do you any PAR numbers by chance?

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think you lost it? PAR higher or lower? Spectral quality? Do you any PAR numbers by chance?
I ramped up my hydras slowly over the coarse of a couple months knowing it would be a shock. Just didnt adjust well. I lost half my sps. No PAR numbers. FYI this was five years ago.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ramped up my hydras slowly over the coarse of a couple months knowing it would be a shock. Just didnt adjust well. I lost half my sps. No PAR numbers. FYI this was five years ago.
Thanks for the reply. I used metal halides when I got into the hobby and have always liked them. But I switched to LEDs when PFO sent one of their beta units, and they worked well for me especially because I had heat issues to deal with. There's a lot of things we don't understand about narrow-bandwidth light sources. That quest for knowledge continues and maybe I have enough years left to scratch the surface.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I used metal halides when I got into the hobby and have always liked them. BNut I switched to LEDs when PFO sent one of their beta units, and they worked well for me especially because I had heat issues to deal with. There's a lot of things we don't understand about narrow-bandwidth light sources. That quest for knowledge continues and maybe I have enough years left to scratch the surface.

All I can see is one replaced 1200W of light w/ Hydras which might have been pushing 95W per unit..
would have taken 6 plus units to equal the old light environment (realistically more like 9).. and at reduced wattage for acclimation..

Point is w/ out PAR data most of this circumstantial evidence has little validity..

ai-hydra-led-spectrum.jpg

Just saying.. ;)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a shame that people thought that they could save electricity in years past and it is a shame that people think that now too. I do not know if most people needed 400w Halides, but 250w are pretty reasonable with 2x in a standard 4' 120 gallon tank and you still need 3x of the new xr30s to cover that same area reasonably well and you will be right there at 500w all over again. I asked Santa to never have a "wattage savings" thread come up again, but I guess that I was on the naughty list.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a shame that people thought that they could save electricity in years past and it is a shame that people think that now too. I do not know if most people needed 400w Halides, but 250w are pretty reasonable with 2x in a standard 4' 120 gallon tank and you still need 3x of the new xr30s to cover that same area reasonably well and you will be right there at 500w all over again. I asked Santa to never have a "wattage savings" thread come up again, but I guess that I was on the naughty list.
Won't get much of an argument from me .."except".
How many LED Watts does it take to replace a 400 watt metal halide?
The best advice we can give anyone is never buy a LED product based on watts. Buy it based on lumens and then figure out how little watts you can use to make those lumens.

Change that to "PAR" not lumens...
Physical geometry of each type of light that..given equal photon producing efficiency LEDs even at 120 degrees will create a watt savings..
Don't actually know any field where one can't save watts w/ LEDs.. fresh,reef,pot, lettuce..

Questions really how many and what it's really worth (savings)..at least nowadays..
Some old inefficient LED's excluded..

shedding-light-on-led-for-industry-led-diagram.gif

LED output is much more efficiently controlled.. As w/ anything. there are "complications"..
BTW that 40% is really worst case reflector.. and firmly admit some are MUCH better..

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link to a comparison of metal halide and LEDs. When all was said and done, my power bill dropped from $400/month to $150. Less use of A/C definitely played a part. But the lower wattage LED array (compared to a metal halide) grew corals just fine. Fourteen years ago. How time flies.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have almost certainly used lower wattage MH, then. I remember people dropping big cash on that Solaris when it came out and it ended up dying a quick death when multi-color stuff came out - don't remember it doing all that much better than "just fine." Don't recall people saying that it was an awesome light, or anything. Time does fly.

150w HQI might have been your jam... way less heat too.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have almost certainly used lower wattage MH, then. I remember people dropping big cash on that Solaris when it came out and it ended up dying a quick death when multi-color stuff came out - don't remember it doing all that much better than "just fine." Don't recall people saying that it was an awesome light, or anything. Time does fly.

150w HQI might have been your jam... way less heat too.
The first Solaris I got was only blue/white LEDs. Gen 2 included cyan. The real problem with Solaris luminaires was their power supplies. But their death knell was the patent infringement lawsuit that sunk them (I was called as an expert witness and flew to Honolulu to give testimony.) This was in a time when LEDs used for aquarium lighting was highly controversial (in fact, Patrick of PFO sent me an email lending sympathy for the attacks I was getting from the 'conventional lighting' crowd on Reef Central.) One o f the detractors' arguements was that LEDs in general (and Solaris in particular) did not generate enough light to grow SPS, which of course was nonsense.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back