Metal Halides are the bomb

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo bombing! LoL. Aussie Highlighter.... It’s under Metal Halide, so..... totally counts for this thread.
CCB550E4-7782-4323-A4C3-DCDFA949EBA2.jpeg

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed out my LEDs to all T5s 8 months ago. Corals are doing great. However, this thread is making me want to throw some Halides on my tank ASAP

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wood is fastened to the crossmembers which don’t run centerline to the tank. This way I could have a real solid support of the fixture and put the fixture dead center. I then put insulation like is used under the hood of a car in case heat would be an issue.
Thanks. The progress of the tank will all be here, and it’ll be interesting to see where it progresses to over time.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wood is fastened to the crossmembers which don’t run centerline to the tank. This way I could have a real solid support of the fixture and put the fixture dead center. I then put insulation like is used under the hood of a car in case heat would be an issue.
Thanks. The progress of the tank will all be here, and it’ll be interesting to see where it progresses to over time.
I know why you did that. It wuld be great if you could place a piece of plywood to cover it though, as a square shield attached to them. Anyways.. that's minor. What matters is the quality of light! Nice system! Cheers!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to see a BRS comparison of LED and Metal Halide long term.
No need comparison... they already made videos saying that metal halides and T5s are the golden standard of reef lighting. And that is the truth. That is the reason why LED companies will always compare to those 2 types of lights.
Besides, today they basically removed most of their halide gear from their site to sell those expensive LEDs. But we can't blame them if they say "they were not selling their halide stuff", right? They should do what they want.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you score that Cozumel? I’ve been searching for months and months! Looks great!
They said they will have Cozumel back in stock.
I think they are producing them right now.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said they will have Cozumel back in stock.
I think they are producing them right now.
ETA for in stock is July. Can’t wait to get my hands on them! Currently have Lumenmax elite which are not quite wide enough spread for my 3’ wide tank.

Last edited:

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
No need comparison... they already made videos saying that metal halides and T5s are the golden standard of reef lighting. And that is the truth. That is the reason why LED companies will always compare to those 2 types of lights.
Besides, today they basically removed most of their halide gear from their site to sell those expensive LEDs. But we can't blame them if they say "they were not selling their halide stuff", right? They should do what they want.
I was saying they should do a comparison so we can actually see the growth difference for lets say.. 8 months. That would really convince others to jump back in the halide route.

Personally, if i would have my reef tank not in my living room i would have dropped the thousands on metal halide since day 1. But i cant have all of that above my tank, in my living room. Its just not appealing

.... AND so i dont have the growth like metal halide users right. I still would like to see the comparison is what all im saying. You never know, in the future, metal halides and t5 is what most likely ill be running! By then they will have radion g8 which mimicks the metal halide

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was saying they should do a comparison so we can actually see the growth difference for lets say.. 8 months. That would really convince others to jump back in the halide route.

Personally, if i would have my reef tank not in my living room i would have dropped the thousands on metal halide since day 1. But i cant have all of that above my tank, in my living room. Its just not appealing

.... AND so i dont have the growth like metal halide users right. I still would like to see the comparison is what all im saying. You never know, in the future, metal halides and t5 is what most likely ill be running! By then they will have radion g8 which mimicks the metal halide
There is a huge misconception thinking that any of the 3 lights (halides, T5s, LEDs) available to us reefers would b able to SUBSTITUTE each other.
But you used the right word for it and it's worthy to make a bolt statement about it: MIMIC, which is simply IMITATE.
Well, the QUALITY of light the corals need, at it's optimal, doesn't come from LEDs IMO. The qualities that metal halides have simply can't be substituted by any LED simply because they are different in nature (spectrum, distribution and delivery of photons).
We don't need to wait for any Radion to try MIMIC halides (by the way.. that is probably one of the market strategies they will probably **pop** in the future, but we already have Kessils. So... but they still can do it.. it's about money anyways!
They should compare their LEDs to other LEDs, not to halides or T5s. But they will always compare to the best, not the worse. That is the fact!
I just can't believe we still have people waiting for their "next generations" of LEDs to waste their money or serve as "testers" paying for that. Not referring directly to you, jmichaelh7, I'm talking in general here. LEDs won't evolve per say. They will add features and change design.
BRS removed their halide equipment from their site and I don't think they will get them back. BUT we never know. If everyone knew how good halides and T5s are really there wouldn't be any LED company surviving. Only if the priorities of this hobby would be the maintenance of the organisms, and not the visual appearance or the features connected to their Iphones. That's my opinion.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a huge misconception thinking that any of the 3 lights (halides, T5s, LEDs) available to us reefers would b able to SUBSTITUTE each other.
But you used the right word for it and it's worthy to make a bolt statement about it: MIMIC, which is simply IMITATE.
Well, the QUALITY of light the corals need, at it's optimal, doesn't come from LEDs IMO. The qualities that metal halides have simply can't be substituted by any LED simply because they are different in nature (spectrum, distribution and delivery of photons).
We don't need to wait for any Radion to try MIMIC halides (by the way.. that is probably one of the market strategies they will probably **pop** in the future, but we already have Kessils. So... but they still can do it.. it's about money anyways!
They should compare their LEDs to other LEDs, not to halides or T5s. But they will always compare to the best, not the worse. That is the fact!
I just can't believe we still have people waiting for their "next generations" of LEDs to waste their money or serve as "testers" paying for that. Not referring directly to you, jmichaelh7, I'm talking in general here. LEDs won't evolve per say. They will add features and change design.
BRS removed their halide equipment from their site and I don't think they will get them back. BUT we never know. If everyone knew how good halides and T5s are really there wouldn't be any LED company surviving. Only if the priorities of this hobby would be the maintenance of the organisms, and not the visual appearance or the features connected to their Iphones. That's my opinion.

That is the same reason I switched my Black Box LEDs over to all ATI T5s. I was looking at Radions and I told myself, "Why spend over $3,600 on a light that imitates the ATI AB+ spectrum, when I can spend less than $600 and get the same thing it is "trying" to replicate."

I also didn't know about that with BRS. I just jumped over there and you're right. The only item they have in the halide section is hangers. I get not storing them in inventory but atleast offer them as a direct buy from the manufacturer to the customer.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the same reason I switched my Black Box LEDs over to all ATI T5s. I was looking at Radions and I told myself, "Why spend over $3,600 on a light that imitates the ATI AB+ spectrum, when I can spend less than $600 and get the same thing it is "trying" to replicate."

I also didn't know about that with BRS. I just jumped over there and you're right. The only item they have in the halide section is hangers. I get not storing them in inventory but atleast offer them as a direct buy from the manufacturer to the customer.
They way BRS always sold Hamilton (as all other online stores always did) and ReefBrite halide gear, was simply displaying the images on their BRS site and the goodies were shipped directly from the manufacturers to the customers. They probably had the same deal with Giesemann.
That said, the fact they removed halides out of their web site has to be to promote the more expensive LEDs. There is no other option left IMO.
They said in one of the videos that the main reason was because it wasn't selling. Now you guys tell me... why in the world, after we know that so many people are getting back to halides, and even newbies are willing to try them out after so many good reports, are they actually "loosing their sales" that way? It has to be a market strategy. I don't thing that is anything good for the hobby. But they do what they want.

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They way BRS always sold Hamilton (as all other online stores always did) and ReefBrite halide gear, was simply displaying the images on their BRS site and the goodies were shipped directly from the manufacturers to the customers. They probably had the same deal with Giesemann.
That said, the fact they removed halides out of their web site has to be to promote the more expensive LEDs. There is no other option left IMO.
They said in one of the videos that the main reason was because it wasn't selling. Now you guys tell me... why in the world, after we know that so many people are getting back to halides, and even newbies are willing to try them out after so many good reports, are they actually "loosing their sales" that way? It has to be a market strategy. I don't thing that is anything good for the hobby. But they do what they want.
Probably because people are just buying all the used metal halide/t5 fixtures for almost nothing. Jokes on those guys who dont know how good they are lol. Thats what i did. Love my cebu sun.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably because people are just buying all the used metal halide/t5 fixtures for almost nothing. Jokes on those guys who dont know how good they are lol. Thats what i did. Love my cebu sun.
You are a lucky boy! I almost got the Cebu when I was getting my Spectra, but I knew the Spectra was going to be discontinued, so I chose the Spectra. I have so many different fixtures... I need to move to a bigger house and set up another tank. LOL!
Nah, I think the fact that we still have old fixtures being sold doesn't hurt any online store at all. I just can't count anymore all the people that wanted new halide systems from Hamilton and they are still waiting for them to be restocked. Public aquariums are going back to their halide systems because they noticed how important is to have QUALITY instead "looks".
To diminish halides and T5s publishing "smart comparisons" is the only way LED companies could remove them from the the market since the beginning, and now the stores found out that banning halides and T5s will be so great for them to sell LED fixture$$$ for so much more!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back