Military Veterans

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was browsing the threads and found one where a bunch of people thought it was for military vets. So I thought I'd start a thread. Are there any other military vets here? How long did you serve and what branch? What got you into reefing? Is there anything about your military experience that makes reefing special?

I served 11 years as a medic in the Army. I went to Afghanistan twice and S Korea once. I got into reefing because it has been a lifelong dream of mine. I was medically retired from the Army and my first reef tank was essentially a retirement gift. Now it keeps me busy as I'm always learning and reading on how to be a better reefer.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 yrs Air Force Security Forces
2014 received my first reef tank from my wife Heather. When we met in October 2001, I was a broke A1C and some of our first dates where to local pets stores. The ones we kept going back to where the saltwater fish stores.

Discipline I learned from from the military has helped me the most.

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Thanks for your service!

I got into reefing before I joined the military. Had to basically donate my aquarium (180g) because I shipped immediately after signing my contract.

I served in the Marine Corps for 7 years. I was artillery (0811) and switched my MOS with my re enlistment to admin (0111). Ended up medically retiring due to injuries I sustained during a field op! A field op LOL! After all the deployments and MEU’s...that’s how I go out.

I got back into reefing just recently and it was the best decision I’ve made (with a little push from my wife). It definitely has helped calm me down. For a brief moment I forget about all my aches and pains.

better than therapy!

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 yrs Army
Have always loved fish and saltwater systems. Never had the money to do it. Met a guy while serving that had a simple softy reef tank while on tour in Iraq in 2004 and he encouraged me to start one. My wife helped me set up a 55 gallon one and it took off after that. It has been a challenge to keep a decent tank while serving but after I was done 4 years ago, I got into it seriously. Had a recent bacterial outbreak and lost all my Torches and Euphyllias. Had about 50 total. I almost broke down my tank when my LFS all volunteered their time and cleaned out my tank and brought it back to life. Starting over again.

RickSanford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 yrs USAF Crypto Tech stationed at the Pentagon. Father retired from USN after 23 years - always lived near an ocean.

Had freshwater aquariums as a kid and a couple of Oscars in a 30g after I got out of the service in '88. Dabbled in fish-only salt water in the early 90's (30g & 70g tanks). Current system is my first reef tank.

OP
OP
\m/reefsnmetal\m/

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Thanks for your service!

I got into reefing before I joined the military. Had to basically donate my aquarium (180g) because I shipped immediately after signing my contract.

I served in the Marine Corps for 7 years. I was artillery (0811) and switched my MOS with my re enlistment to admin (0111). Ended up medically retiring due to injuries I sustained during a field op! A field op LOL! After all the deployments and MEU’s...that’s how I go out.

I got back into reefing just recently and it was the best decision I’ve made (with a little push from my wife). It definitely has helped calm me down. For a brief moment I forget about all my aches and pains.

better than therapy!
Another medical retiree! Thanks for your service! I know what you mean by calming down lol. My wife had to push me too and now I have my emotional support fish :D.

OP
OP
\m/reefsnmetal\m/

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 yrs Air Force Security Forces
2014 received my first reef tank from my wife Heather. When we met in October 2001, I was a broke A1C and some of our first dates where to local pets stores. The ones we kept going back to where the saltwater fish stores.

Discipline I learned from from the military has helped me the most.
I remember grinding it out with my wife as a broke E1-E4 ;). Those tough times generate some of the best memories.

hey_hey_heeyyyyyy!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USAF Security Police/Forces here too. My supervisor had a reef tank and got me into it while I was stationed at Nellis in the 90's. I still use the wet/dry as a sump. Back then, I could get blue tangs for $9.99 at the LFS.

Ironically, I was stationed on Guam before Nellis and never went scuba diving. I was too busy buying stereo equipment. :rolleyes:

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nine years in the Army as a 35F (MI). I deployed twice and went to South Korea for their exercises 6 times. I had freshwater tanks the whole time, but never dared to spend money on salt water because of the constant TDYs and moves. Now that I'm medically retired I finally have a home that I know I'll be in for at least a decade. I've started my RSR 525XL and I'm so excited to see it flourish.
I think the discipline and patience I learned in the Army are paying off, as I've cycled my tank and QT'd my first set of fish. I also research everything until I'm certain of a decision and then make a plan before doing something. I think it'll pay off in the long run.
I think that tank really helps me relax and focus, which is great when you struggle with intrusive thoughts. It's really helped me out.

missgoofyx24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was browsing the threads and found one where a bunch of people thought it was for military vets. So I thought I'd start a thread. Are there any other military vets here? How long did you serve and what branch? What got you into reefing? Is there anything about your military experience that makes reefing special?

I served 11 years as a medic in the Army. I went to Afghanistan twice and S Korea once. I got into reefing because it has been a lifelong dream of mine. I was medically retired from the Army and my first reef tank was essentially a retirement gift. Now it keeps me busy as I'm always learning and reading on how to be a better reefer.
Thanks for starting this up!

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in 4 years Navy (Aviation Electronics Tech “AT3” 3rd class. Stationed at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida beginning of 2012- end of 2015. I had an apartment in Orange park, Florida at the time and there was this awesome LFS I had wanted to have a saltwater aquarium for years and finally took the plunge in 2013. After I got out I went to college and got married. After we had our daughter and she loved fish so much we decided it was time for me to build another reef as I had talked about it for years.

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 years Navy (Aviation Boatswains mate Handler "ABH3" stationed on board USS Nimitz CVN 68 which was ported in washington state. 2010-14. Made yellow shirt on the flight deck and worked in Fly1. Absolutely loved it. Started reefing before the military and took a break while I was active duty. Got out honorably and picked up a decent job and started reefing again now for about 3-4 years. Definitely something I want to do for the rest of my life.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back