Mindstream in the house!

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I received my Mindstream today and got it installed pretty painlessly. Here are a few picks and my initial impressions.

The unit is very well made, the magnet is able to hold it on 5/8" acrylic.

Set up was quick and painless. The instructions are simple to understand. Not much room for user error.

I have it installed in the overflow of my 340 display right now because I'm not sure how strong a wifi signal I get in my sump room. And its late, and I REALLY wanted to get this hooked up.

The discs are incredibly well packaged. They are in a round plastic case full of water which is taped shut and placed in a fully sealed black plastic bag which is in a mylar padded envelope. The packaging alone is costly.

After putting in the disk it took about a half hour or less to register the first tests on the web app. In the process I received a few email alerts that some parameters are out of the range I specified in the app. The app itself is well designed, easy to navigate and shows on one page all of the parameters. It appears to update very frequently, more than the 15 minutes I though I had read. I didn't time it so I may be wrong.

As far as accuracy and precision. I can't speak to that yet. I have an alkatronic which is reading Alk at 8.29 while the Mindstream reports it at 8.89. I know they measure alk differently, to what extent I'm not sure. There must be a conversion chart out there somewhere I'll have to find.

Oddly, I'm getting an ammonia reading of 1 or 2 ppb. I didn't expect that.

Assuming all the readings are accurate, I have to say ITS PRETTY AWESOME HAVING REAL TIME POTASSIUM, MAGNESIUM, SALINITY AND CALCIUM readings! Of the others: Alk, pH and temp I already have (but love more data) and the remaining, CO2, O2 and Ammonia I'll have to learn more about.

So far (and its early) this is a home run!

IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing. I'm glad setup went well and it is working fine. Do you have an additional way you can measure Alk just to see if the third reading leans towards the MindStream or Alkatronic? I guess the most important thing is stability over a magic number so maybe it doesn't matter. I ordered a MindStream yesterday and can't wait to get it. I was going to get a Trident but like some of the benefits this system offers over the Trident.

Last edited:

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Mindstream today and got it installed pretty painlessly. Here are a few picks and my initial impressions.

Set up was quick and painless. The instructions are simple to understand. Not much room for user error.

I have it installed in the overflow of my 340 display right now because I'm not sure how strong a wifi signal I get in my sump room. And its late, and I REALLY wanted to get this hooked up.

The discs are incredibly well packaged. They are in a round plastic case full of water which is taped shut and placed in a fully sealed black plastic bag which is in a mylar padded envelope. The packaging alone is costly.

After putting in the disk it took about a half hour or less to register the first tests on the web app. In the process I received a few email alerts that some parameters are out of the range I specified in the app. The app itself is well designed, easy to navigate and shows on one page all of the parameters. It appears to update very frequently, more than the 15 minutes I though I had read. I didn't time it so I may be wrong.

As far as accuracy and precision. I can't speak to that yet. I have an alkatronic which is reading Alk at 8.29 while the Mindstream reports it at 8.89. I know they measure alk differently, to what extent I'm not sure. There must be a conversion chart out there somewhere I'll have to find.

Assuming all the readings are accurate, I have to say ITS PRETTY AWESOME HAVING REAL TIME POTASSIUM, MAGNESIUM, SALINITY AND CALCIUM readings! Of the others: Alk, pH and temp I already have (but love more data) and the remaining, CO2, O2 and Ammonia I'll have to learn more about.

IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG
I really wish I knew about it ! :(

U

User1

View Badges
Disc is shipped wet?

I know with the Seneye they recommend soaking the slide for 24 or 48 hours in the tanks water (I forget the exact duration). I'm guessing these discs would be similar although I wonder what the water is or how it is calibrated or if it matters.

Thanks for the information!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG

Why does it say in the alert that your salinity is 53.1 when the table above says it's 34.9?! What's up with the ammonia? is that real?

Edit...never mind on the ammonia. Didn't notice the PPB that's only 0.002 PPM.

OP
OP
reef_ranch

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why does it say in the alert that your salinity is 53.1 when the table above says it's 34.9?! What's up with the ammonia? is that real?

Edit...never mind on the ammonia. Didn't notice the PPB that's only 0.002 PPM.
That was the initial reading. The next reading was 34.9. My guess is that the first test was interefered with by bubbles. I didn’t get an initial O2 reading at all, but all readings are very stable since then. No more alerts.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed MindStream support and asked if NO3 or PO4 might be added in the future. I also asked if this would require a new unit or if they could be added to the existing unit. Below is their reply...

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out. Yes – the MindStream Monitor is built with not only with the ability to measure alternate / additional parameters but also to interface with the latest IoT and wireless communication interfaces.

Let me know if you have further questions.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed MindStream support and asked if NO3 or PO4 might be added in the future. I also asked if this would require a new unit or if they could be added to the existing unit. Below is their reply...

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out. Yes – the MindStream Monitor is built with not only with the ability to measure alternate / additional parameters but also to interface with the latest IoT and wireless communication interfaces.

Let me know if you have further questions.
The old website (can search way back machine) said they could possibly add NO3, but that P is likely impossible. One of those might be on the Facebook comments also.

Squidmotron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think phosphates are possible. Although I havent measured for that in years, it would still be nice.

I have one of these ordered a couple of weeks ago. I was originally in the Trident queue. The ability to just snap a disk in and calibrate nothing though I truly like.

OP
OP
reef_ranch

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for sharing. I'm glad setup went well and it is working fine. Do you have an additional way you can measure Alk just to see if the third reading leans towards the MindStream or Alkatronic? I guess the most important thing is stability over a magic number so maybe it doesn't matter. I ordered a MindStream yesterday and can't wait to get it. I was going to get a Trident but like some of the benefits this system offers over the Trident.
I also have a Salifert kit and it usually confirms the Alkatronic spot on. The Mindstream measures Alk using the Co2 which gives the Carbonate Alkalinity while the titration tests give you the total alkalinity. The difference? From what I'm reading now, they are not linear. So, I'm going to have to watch the two tests and see how they relate to each other with the view to keeping both readings stable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back