Mindstream in the house!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gotta say I was pretty set on the trident, as I already have lots of apex stuff. What turns me off towards the trident is more wires, and the device itself is pretty bulky along with need for recalibrating or whatever they say it needs down the road, we need to send it back to Neptune.

The mindstream seems simpler, no waste collecting reservoir, attach it in the sump, done. Get the subscription, nothing else needed.

Oxygen, co2, NH4 are useless to me. Ph, K and the big three are awesome for sps fanatics.

If they added NO3 and PO4 like previously mentioned, this would become the best reef gadget to get.

I am less impulsive with reef products after I got my Apex as soon as it launched in 2016 with tons of defects(I love the apex). I will observe and probably get the mindstream when more is known about it ,possible bugs AND how the company FIXES them.

Also want to know how accurate results are among different units out there.

I was as well - just got (after a couple months my email from BRS - I had just ordered the mindstream - for ME - personally. I dont use the Apex to 'control things' so - this monitoring system seems quite a bit better.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say I was pretty set on the trident, as I already have lots of apex stuff. What turns me off towards the trident is more wires, and the device itself is pretty bulky along with need for recalibrating or whatever they say it needs down the road, we need to send it back to Neptune.

The mindstream seems simpler, no waste collecting reservoir, attach it in the sump, done. Get the subscription, nothing else needed.

Oxygen, co2, NH4 are useless to me. Ph, K and the big three are awesome for sps fanatics.

If they added NO3 and PO4 like previously mentioned, this would become the best reef gadget to get.

I am less impulsive with reef products after I got my Apex as soon as it launched in 2016 with tons of defects(I love the apex). I will observe and probably get the mindstream when more is known about it ,possible bugs AND how the company FIXES them.

Also want to know how accurate results are among different units out there.

Is there a benefit in having it in the main display? I was planning on putting mine there, but if I can put it in my sump, that’s even better!

Darrell Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a benefit in having it in the main display? I was planning on putting mine there, but if I can put it in my sump, that’s even better!
I'm thinking it would be more stable in the main display. With all the dosing going on the sump I think it would tend to go up an down on the measurements.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return pump fails, for example, the sump will still look fine to the monitor, but if it’s on the display it will potentially show decreasing O2, temp, alk, etc.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return pump fails, for example, the sump will still look fine to the monitor, but if it’s on the display it will potentially show decreasing O2, temp, alk, etc.

Would it look okay? Wouldn’t the water still be sitting still and being stagnant if the return pump failed?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking it would be more stable in the main display. With all the dosing going on the sump I think it would tend to go up an down on the measurements.

That makes sense. I don’t currently have a doser. My sump has a couple of different chambers. If and when I do set up a doser, I think I could set it up so that the mindstream is in a chamber before doser. That does seem like something important people may want to take into account if they have it in their sump.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so pumped up for Mindstream and Reefbot combination. I plan on using alkalinity to verify calibration of RB and MM. Just have to do a manual titration once a month or so and that checks both devices. Cheap to do a few alkalinity tests per month with RB and a manual test.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks pretty big, my sump is almost exactly the measurements of the inside of my stand, so I dont have room to place it except on the front panel.

I read some people place it in the overflow box, which could work for me.
If that didnt work, I would have to place it inside the tank, which isnt t9o bad as it looks pretty cool

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it look okay? Wouldn’t the water still be sitting still and being stagnant if the return pump failed?
I wasn't very clear, I am sorry. What I mean is that if the return pump fails, then the display water will be stagnant, potentially decreasing O2, and increasing CO2, losing temperature, etc. If it is in the sump, the monitor readings would probably not detect it, at least for a while.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks pretty big, my sump is almost exactly the measurements of the inside of my stand, so I dont have room to place it except on the front panel.

I read some people place it in the overflow box, which could work for me.
If that didnt work, I would have to place it inside the tank, which isnt t9o bad as it looks pretty cool

As @rushbattle suggests - it might be best to put in the display either way - in case the return pump fails.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @rushbattle suggests - it might be best to put in the display either way - in case the return pump fails.

Technically, if the return pump fails, O2 would get depleted much faster in the sump especially if it happened during the day with the lights on.

Temp IME is a mixed bag indicator, my tank is rarely too far off from room temp...

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't very clear, I am sorry. What I mean is that if the return pump fails, then the display water will be stagnant, potentially decreasing O2, and increasing CO2, losing temperature, etc. If it is in the sump, the monitor readings would probably not detect it, at least for a while.

Oh. I guess the animals in the dt would take up the oxygen quicker than it would dissipate from the sump. But if I’m thinking correctly, if the dt water isn’t moving, neither is the sump. Am I forgetting about something?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, if the return pump fails, O2 would get depleted much faster in the sump especially if it happened during the day with the lights on.

Temp IME is a mixed bag indicator, my tank is rarely too far off from room temp...

Would it delete faster in the sump or the dt?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh. I guess the animals in the dt would take up the oxygen quicker than it would dissipate from the sump. But if I’m thinking correctly, if the dt water isn’t moving, neither is the sump. Am I forgetting about something?

Every sump is different - right - for example in mine - is running a skimmer (would keep up oxygen) - and carbon reactor - so there is lots of flow. The temp would stay stable. I can see it both ways - hopefully @MindStream has a recommendation.

The key place (I think?) I want the measurements is in my display. so that if the return fails (or the sump has no water) - the temp in the DT will drop. (I know - I should probably have a second heater in my DT)

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The skimmer will keep most sump setups near equilibrium if there is not flow to and from the aquarium. Assuming temperature control is down there as well, it will be regulated as well.

For sure the temperature in some houses will keep the temperature of the display near it's set point, and if you have a thriving coral/algae population the O2 will stay up through photosynthesis if the lights are on. In that case the alkalinity will likely be going down pretty quickly so the MM will see that.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The skimmer will keep most sump setups near equilibrium if there is not flow to and from the aquarium. Assuming temperature control is down there as well, it will be regulated as well.

For sure the temperature in some houses will keep the temperature of the display near it's set point, and if you have a thriving coral/algae population the O2 will stay up through photosynthesis if the lights are on. In that case the alkalinity will likely be going down pretty quickly so the MM will see that.

ACTUALLY - it will be interesting to see exactly what happens - in an 'experimental' power outage, etc etc.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back