I believe they really bother my corals
152C7626-25D6-40D1-A45C-47BA6A2B1F54.jpeg

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have hundreds in our reef tank. They are a good part of the CUC. But if you really don't like them I know a Harlequin shrimp will eat them. But the down side is they eat any kind of star fish and it will also take awhile for it to eat them all.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin shrimp won’t eat the mini brittles. I’ve used harlequin shrimp in the past to clear asterina and still have billions of the little brittles.

The brittles likely aren’t bothering the coral - something else is killing the coral and the starfish are just cleaning up.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin shrimp won’t eat the mini brittles. I’ve used harlequin shrimp in the past to clear asterina and still have billions of the little brittles.

The brittles likely aren’t bothering the coral - something else is killing the coral and the starfish are just cleaning up.
We've seen ours grab one? I've read that alot of starfish are on the menu but catching some (brittles) are difficult. We got ours for asterina.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any one with an abundance of mini brittle stars is near the DFW area and would like to part with a few or dozen or whatever.. I would really like to add some to my tanks.

PaulK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow Coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) eats them. He hasn't cleared them all out but he's really reduced the population.

OP
OP
CNDReef

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the coral started stn. Them eating the dying flesh made all the other flesh aggravated and kept dying. I removed the colony from the rock to the sand and it stopped stn’ing. So yes I want them destroyed lol.
When I upgrade all my rock is going to get a hydrogen peroxide dip.

OP
OP
CNDReef

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually did stop dying. The stars don’t go on It at the bottom. Don’t know if it’s the harlequin shrimp or they’re scared of the wrasse but never seen another star on it. But why would I know anything about a coral not receding anymore. Must’ve stared keeping them yesterday ;Dummy

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping since 2004 -- never once have I ever seen micro stars eating corals. Ever.

This whole sub is convinced starfish will go rogue and randomly eat corals. I've never seen a more paranoid section of a forum. It's kind of astounding.

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they hurt anything, I have several on every rock you turn over in my tank. I was fragging today and realized how many I actually had. My tank is insane with growth my only setback was I slacked off the maint and several of my sps hard corals took a hit. I need to upload a newer pic of my tank. My only regret: I wish I never added this one type of GSP and Large brown Zenia's but mainly the GSP.

Back