Mirror to stop tang agression

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put in a new sailfin tang and my purple tang wasn't having it!

I held a mirror up a couple times to stop the skirmish and them sat it down in front of the tank. The purple had been squaring off to his reflection for hours now.

20210325_200305.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One of the oldest yet effective method. You did well as this method does Not work for everyone.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four tangs (yellow, purple, sailfin, and hippo) in a 5 foot tank. I put mirrors on either end. All of the nonsense stopped within 48 hours.

Do you need to keep the mirrors on or did you just use them temporarily?

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them on for about a week. Every one is as happy as can be. I'll take them off this weekend. They're six inch round mirrors I got from Joanne's.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did this with my powder brown when out of nowhere he decided that he wanted to kill everything he set his eyes on ( all the same fish that he lived with for 4 months ). I left the mirror on for like 3 hours and I came back and he literally scratched his whole face from bumping into the glass . However after that he never chased another fish and stopped with the crazy erratic swimming in and out of the rocks that would freak my regal out . So i would say try it out but keep an eye on it

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a bunch of tricks worth trying. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. Mirror is easy and a good first try.

Twillyg21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a suction cup “makeup” mirror that magnifies 5x and can be positioned however I chooseUSB adjustable 5x makeup Mirror

I also leave the new fish in an acclimation box and attach the veggie clip directly to the acclimation box so that the other tangs are forced to eat right next to the new fish :)

after 3-5 days, I add the new guy to the mix and everyone gets along great! I imagine that every time the new fish swims by they are like, “Hey, it’s the salad guy! We love the salad guy!”

It’s worked wonders for me and I have a lot of tangs - Sailfin, Yellow, Hippo, Purple, Kole, and I will be adding a Blonde Naso on Tuesday and doing the same process.

Other fish in the tank:

6 line wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse
melanurus wrasse
3 Biota Pavo Damselfish
Royal Gramma
lyretail anthias
2 Bartlet anthias
2 black occeliris/percula clownfish
2 orange occeliris/percula clownfish
Diamond Watchmen Goby
Coral Beauty
Lawnmower Blenny
Magnificent Foxface Rabbitfish

OP
OP
bobnicaragua

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a suction cup “makeup” mirror that magnifies 5x and can be positioned however I chooseUSB adjustable 5x makeup Mirror

I also leave the new fish in an acclimation box and attach the veggie clip directly to the acclimation box so that the other tangs are forced to eat right next to the new fish :)

after 3-5 days, I add the new guy to the mix and everyone gets along great! I imagine that every time the new fish swims by they are like, “Hey, it’s the salad guy! We love the salad guy!”

It’s worked wonders for me and I have a lot of tangs - Sailfin, Yellow, Hippo, Purple, Kole, and I will be adding a Blonde Naso on Tuesday and doing the same process.

Other fish in the tank:

6 line wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse
melanurus wrasse
3 Biota Pavo Damselfish
Royal Gramma
lyretail anthias
2 Bartlet anthias
2 black occeliris/percula clownfish
2 orange occeliris/percula clownfish
Diamond Watchmen Goby
Coral Beauty
Lawnmower Blenny
Magnificent Foxface Rabbitfish
This sounds like a great method for introducing new fish to an established tank!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a plastic 30X18 mirror that I use. Very easy to put in front of my tank. Really effective.

Twillyg21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a great method for introducing new fish to an established tank!
It is! What’s great about the 5x magnification mirror is that when a fish looks at its reflection, it sees a fish that looks identical but is 5 times bigger than it is and thinks it’s a huge fish that could definitely beat that fish up if it messed with it. It’s funny to see the reflections that they see when they are looking at themselves in the mirror. I will try to get a picture of it if I can. :)

but I will be using this method today to add a new Blonde Naso Tang, which will be my last fish added to the tank and something dies or gets too big for the tank.

ill let you know how it goes!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used mirrors a number of times, and for the most part, with success. I have no problem finding a mirror.....I just pick one from my wife's collection and duct tape to the side of the tank.

mirrors.jpg

One funny incident was when I had a yellow tang picking on my long nose yellow butterfly. I hung a mirror hoping the tang would entertain itself in facing off against the mirror. Instead it was the long nose butterfly who couldn't swim past the mirror without going into it's defensive dorsal spikes extended. It was amusing to watch.

1620226049831.png

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only for tangs either, here we see 5 species reacting to a mirror. Just got a copper band today and the sailfin was bothering with it too much. So the mirror went up. Guess I'm not mixing angels anytime soon. Not hawkish, or 6 line. Even the foxface is squaring off.

Attachments

• 20211126_174337.mp4
    36.3 MB
Last edited by a moderator:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried the mirror trick but only the Copperband cared… The copperband is the first fish to go after newbie fish too. I have a Ctenochaetus binotatus that pays 0 attention to the new fish, same thing with the jade wrasse. The tang and wrasse only care about the old fish they were housed with and putting them in their place. All the fish that are said to be peaceful in my tank are aggressive and the fish that are aggressive in my tank are peaceful. The Jade wrasse is now the exception since she has been chasing the radiant around the tank at the same night every night.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Using this method now!

Introduced Copperband to a party of 2 yellow tangs , powder brown, and sailfin. The PBT was too much … thankfully this method is working so far .

Bues0022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130 cube with a lavender tang already established. I’m about to order a powder blue, and then got scared because they can be bullies. Will this method work with those? (Hopefully?). Should I introduce the powder blue last if I’m trying to a trio of tangs? Suggestions on fish and methods please if you have any.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
It will definitely work

Tape the mirror against the glass somewhere the tang passed by all day . They will not leave it

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back