Missing Yellow Watchman Goby Found... Now What?

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a small YWG with the intent of getting a Tiger Pistol as well. The LFS didn't have any pistols at the time so I put the goby through QT and added him to the display. Once in the display it was looking very unsettled, swimming constantly near the top and would even get tossed around by the powerheads. After a few days it found a little cave and settled down but then suddenly disappeared.

I looked everywhere including the sump and under/behind the tank (incase he found a way through my screen top). No luck...

Three months later I purchased another YWG along with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and after QT added them to the display. The next morning the goby was hanging out in one corner and while looking for the shrimp I found the original goby paired with the shrimp! I'm sure it is the original goby because it's still much smaller than the second one I purchased.

Now the original goby and shrimp seem happy in a cave. The second goby hangs around on the sand but does not look comfortable. What should I do?

1) Buy another Pistol Shrimp? It seemed to bring the first goby out of hiding and now I see it all the time.
2) See if they will pair? I have no idea about male or female...
3) Re-home the second goby? Not sure if 2 Shrimp/Goby pairs is a problem in a 90 gallon (Reefer XL425).
4) Other?

I just want to do what is best for the fish. The second goby looks healthy but not settled like the first now that it is paired with a shrimp.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would wait a few days and see which pair the pistol shrimp decides to stay with, than re-home the remaining goby.

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my first post. The original goby and shrimp have been together for a month now. The second goby has been mostly hanging around the other side of the tank.

Biocube32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would guess that a 90 gallon is big enough to host two shrimp and goby pairs? Although they still may fight i suppose? Will gobies even pair with each other? If the gobies are already showing any signs of fighting, i would rehome the jilted goby. If it were me, and they weren’t fighting, i would get a second shrimp. Regardless, it is an interesting scenario and i hope it works out well for you.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they haven't fought for a month, and the other are still paired, you can try to pair a shrimp with the 2nd goby, it's all up to you, just keep and eye on them in case something does happen.

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That is the path that I would prefer as long as there is no fighting. Just want to do what will be best long term.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have 3 Wheeler's gobies living together with a pistol shrimp. I had 2 pr with shrimp but one shrimp & 1 goby have disappeared. in a 185gl tank.
DSC_7697.JPG

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines pared with a peppermint shrimp. I wouldn’t have 2 pistol shrimps, seems risky.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were at opposite ends of the tank. 1 set even allowed my Yellowhead Jawfish to live with them.

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think that two pistol shrimps could be a problem. Maybe I'll just see what happens over the next month or so.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think that two pistol shrimps could be a problem. Maybe I'll just see what happens over the next month or so.
If it sounds like Chinese New Year in your tank at night, you will know if it’s a problem, lol.

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple candy pistol shrimps in my 130G. They mostly hang to themselves although I have seen multiples in the same cave for extended periods. I’m more concerned with gobies battling. I have a pink striped shrimp goby and have been scared to add a YWG. They are very entertaining to watch. JP

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gobies seem to have settled in their own caves on opposite sides of the tank. One is living with the pistol shrimp and the other paired up with a fire fish. They would sit side by side in a little cave, it was pretty funny. Last week both gobies disappeared and I didn't see either of them until this weekend. Now they are together hanging out in a cave with the pistol shrimp. Seems like all is well. Since they are together, should I assume that I have a male and female?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back