Mixing Clownfish

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I was wondering if you could mix clown fish together. I had a pair in a 20 gallon and one accidentally got caught in my pump and died. I was wondering if it had to be the same kind or could I get a different one.

image.jpg

InCodWeTrust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I was wondering if you could mix clown fish together. I had a pair in a 20 gallon and one accidentally got caught in my pump and died. I was wondering if it had to be the same kind or could I get a different one.

image.jpg
People often discourage mixing percula and ocellaris clownfish because the fact that there different species will make them fight but I have heard stories of people being able to mix percula and ocellaris clownfish.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will likely have better luck mixing clowns that are with the same complex.

Treebeard_48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid mixing percula and ocellaris clownfish. I personally had two ocellaris and one jumped the tank. I then bought an orange storm and put it in the tank with my remaining mocha storm and they bonded almost immediately.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't have to be the same. There many different patterns with ocellaris and percula. Breeders have mixed the two together before, and the offspring are hybrid clownfish.

What is the other clownfish you are interested in?

Anthony Cusumano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 8 month old tomato which I love. Is it worth trying to add another clown when I move him to a bigger tank?

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 8 month old tomato which I love. Is it worth trying to add another clown when I move him to a bigger tank?
Are you looking to add another Tomati clownfish? I don't have any experience with Tomato's, but if you add another clownfish, make sure it is smaller then the one you have.

Always when adding clownfish, go smaller then what you already have. Not all clownfish get along. Look for signs of aggression right away. I have seen mated pairs no longer getting along as well. If the agression isn't to bad you can leave the two together. If gets bad and you have a way to isolate the aggressor in your aquarium (i.e. breeding net, shroom box, etc.) Then try that first. Do that for at least a day. You can repeat this as many times as necessary. Some people have good luck with this, and others don't. If you can't isolate in your DT, then you can also use your sump.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tomatoes are a great species and they are one of the more aggressive species. Be prepared to deal with more aggression while pairing. Good luck!

Anthony Cusumano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not worth the risk. He owns two rbta and attacks any object I put in the tank. I’ll probably leave him be and stock the tank with other fish. Off topic but my new tank just cycled. Should I add my tomato after I add a few other fish first?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a general rule - add the more peaceful fish first.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomatoes are a great species and they are one of the more aggressive species. Be prepared to deal with more aggression while pairing. Good luck!

This!

Tomato complex clowns are similar in size and temperament to Maroon Clowns. Use the same guidelines for housing and pairing.

The designer morphs now available cause a lot confusion. It's not OK to mix clown "species", but it's fine to mix morphs. A standard Occelaris and a Mocha Occelaris are the same species, and they are not aware they are different morphs...

hoodrich8907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started my saltwater aquarium 40 gallon 5weeks now , I have 3 blue/green chromis, firefish, watchman yellow/blue goby, now crazy clownfish 1 Wyoming white ,1 black ice, 2 mocha storms . Wyoming and mocha keep fighting but everyone else is cool. ?

hoodrich8907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started my saltwater aquarium 40 gallon 5weeks now , I have 3 blue/green chromis, firefish, watchman yellow/blue goby, now crazy clownfish 1 Wyoming white ,1 black ice, 2 mocha storms . Wyoming and mocha keep fighting but everyone else is cool. ?
And 5 big turbo snails

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 62 46.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back