Mojo's cone skimmer build

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for those who surf another website you might have seen that I built a cylinder skimmer like a bk mini 160 with a external pump.

So I thought I would start my Cone skimmer build here. I ll be posting some pictures later today. It is taking me some time but its starting to come together.

Mojo~

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait. Ill be following this for sure. I might even try this myself

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about time you spread the love....not every one goes from one site to another like me :D

it one hech of a build so pay attention every one!!!

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far the acylic circles cut from local plastic place were $60 I just wanted to make sure they were perfect. So I had them CNC cut.
4in Diam neck $15
8 in tube (collection cup) $35
Circles $19x3 =$57
Pump would cost about $100 plus I made a custom volute like on the mini airstar. I ll get pics up here in another couple hours. Hae soem frags to go deliver.

Plan>B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great... found your build here... will you be 'adding' to the other sites thread?

herpboyben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey mojo, why cant you do the skimmer reviews anymore? if it none of my business please tell me, its just that your reviews have been very helpful. keep up the good work on your skimmer.
Ben

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy seeing these DIY type of builds. You get to see different things in everybody's pictures that make you rethink your tools and techniques. So Mojo, are there blueprints out there or is it all in your head?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, This is a build thread but just so everyone knows. I was told that I was not allowed to buy a skimmer with my own money and then sell it to just buy another to review. I was not allowed to really do any more skimmer reviews then I guess. So with that said . I will do any reviews on skimmers on Reef2reef from now on. I talked to the admin here at reef2reef and was welcomed with open arms. Everyone here has been very laid back and great to talk too. Not so political. ok.
Now on with the build....

Ok here is my cone body sitting on a 8.5 in 1/4 in black acrylic circle. I have two more to make the collection cup. I have two pieces I have cut out of pvc for the neck seal for the cup to the top of the cone. I have the bubble plate made as well.

As far as drawings. I did make some to dbl check dimmensions. but nothing concrete as things change whe you start making the skimmer.

Here is what I have to work with so far....
P1010213.jpg

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice another Mini airstar type sicce pump.I will make a custom reducer most likely to fine tune the pump to the body. I would say my range in just changing he reducer is from 30 to 45 scfh depending on what I feel the body can handle.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you got the hard part out of the way. So now its the fun part

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should be done by the end of the week. At least that is the plan.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope this is the one thing I did not make. It is actually a body from a ATB 840 1.5

I did find a site from poly fab and they tell you the arc and everything you need to make one from a flat sheet of acrylic.

VanillaGorila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo, Have you tried putting the output on your volute closer to the bottom, rather than in the middle? it might help with backward starts. thats how the volute is on my Airstar 1300.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the askoll pump only starts one way. I modded out the inlet of this pump a little more than i did the previous.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man gotta go for the ride. Wondering about the bubble plate/ diffuser piece you have setting inside the body of your photo. How is that going to be installed with all the holes around it?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back