OP
OP
erky

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so its definitely getting worse, i have been considering removing this coral, but i really dont want the entire thing to just die. i have lime green pieces all over my tank from the flow removing the tissue.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d pull it if you have a bucket a heater and some live rock and a small pump.

Half tank water and half fresh mix.

Get ready to frag.

Darned.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds silly but usually unexplained things I find something I didn't noticed caused an ammonia swing.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No telling. If its the only piece acting up it could just be unhappy. I'd frag it up and spread the frags around the tank. Maybe there was something stinging it.

OP
OP
erky

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's begun RTN. Is it still shedding tissue?
it was this morning, i blew off everything i could last night just to see if there was anything irritating it, nothing came off the coral besides the flesh. I am planning on a WC tonight and take it from there with some frags.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah wc or qt the coral is probably the best thing you can do at this point. Hopefully it pulls through for you.

OP
OP
erky

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah wc or qt the coral is probably the best thing you can do at this point. Hopefully it pulls through for you.
thanks, to be honest i have been considering removing this coral all together, it is just so large and encroaching on everything around it. Maybe the tank gods are mad at me for this and they are allowing me to pull my hair out to figure out what is going on...

OP
OP
erky

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just did a water change, this is what it looks like currently, most of the tissue recession has slowed

IMG_20180205_163138_zpsbivppffi.jpg

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I've had Montis bleach and/or have tissue recession after using lanthanum chloride, even when other stuff in the tank looked fine. I was relying on my skimmer to pull out the precipitate and probably was not getting it all. I just stopped chasing nitrate and phosphate numbers entirely and focused on keep my alk and Ca really stable, and my tank looks much better. I think my phosphate was around 0.9 last I checked.

OP
OP
erky

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested ammonia last night and it was elevated, did another water change and went looking for missing fish, couldnt find my blue tang and a wrasse, hoping they were just hiding as they were around the day before, but this just seems strange now.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. We don’t test ammonia enough in reefs I’m glad you checked it out. I test semi regularly. You’d be surprised how many times there’s a measurable amount but things seem ok.

Now that you’ve found this my recommendation depending on how you run your reef would be 1/4 to 1/2 recommended dose of prime (which will not change the ammonia test reading...it will still be positive) to protect from stress and dose vinegar 1 ml per 20 gallons to boost the bacterial population.

Keep an eye on nutrients and dose if you’re borderline or feed heavy as to not bottom them out. It’ll resolve in time. I use this as opposed to giant water changes unless the ammonia’s high so I don’t imbalance all the other soluble goodness the reef needs.

You can PM me if you’d like to discuss more.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back