MP40QD

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an idea for lengthening the control cable on these pumps. EcoTech will do it for $50 plus shipping but there's got to be away to do it yourself.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any wiring will do, just it will not looks beautiful because of the connection. You can open the control box and add length of wire from the control box to to the end of the wire that go to the dry side.
If you are more adventurous and want a perfect extension without the connection, then you can open the dry side (from the back where the logo is) and replace the whole length of the wiring so you will not have the connection. As long as you choose a round wire with the same outer diameter, you should be able to use the same rubber Gasket to keep water from getting into the dry side motor or the control box.
I have not have the need to do this, so I have not done it. However, I have open the control box and the dry side motor before. It is straight forward to replace the wiring.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a bit since I opened them up, but I believe they use a fairly standard Molex connector. You can find it in in-line version, crimp new contacts, and build an extension cable for it.

All in all, the $50 doesn't sound like an unreasonable price if you don't already have a compatible crimp tool.

OP
OP
Dragon52

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a bit since I opened them up, but I believe they use a fairly standard Molex connector. You can find it in in-line version, crimp new contacts, and build an extension cable for it.

All in all, the $50 doesn't sound like an unreasonable price if you don't already have a compatible crimp tool.
Don't have a crimp tool so I may send it to them anyway.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back