OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fins will grow back, do not add any remedy. Pristine water conditions and a good diet and they will grow back. Each fish is different after acclimation, some disorientation is normal but he should settle down soon, but extreme agitation and hyperactivity is not good. Feeding live for a few feedings and allowing to settle in and fatten up would be the best course.

So I bought 5 feeder guppies. The fuzzy dwarf ate all of it hem. The zebra dwarf didn’t even show interest and just sits on the bottom seeming stressed. Unsure what to do from here. I have some brine in the fridge. May try that tomorrow

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought 5 feeder guppies. The fuzzy dwarf ate all of it hem. The zebra dwarf didn’t even show interest and just sits on the bottom seeming stressed. Unsure what to do from here. I have some brine in the fridge. May try that tomorrow

Brine is a waste of time, these guys need something more substantial. He should have shown a feeding response with the guppies, especially with the fuzzy in the tank and eating. Treating with general cure immediately is the best remedy, the longer you wait, the more the risk. Much to what you hear alot, a healthy fish dioes not need to wait days to eat, and these guys more times than not, need to be treated for internal parasites.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the ripped fins, do the tears go all the way to the body. Is there any red inflamed points on the body if the tears do reach the body.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the ripped fins, do the tears go all the way to the body. Is there any red inflamed points on the body if the tears do reach the body.
Almost all fish I have seen with red points tend not to make it and this includes the crazy tough freshwater cichlids.

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lion king was right. Woke up this morning to go buy a sponge filter and general cure since I have the day off.
That lionfish didn’t make it through the night. Submitted a claim with liveaquaria. The other one is eating and doing well at least.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion king was right. Woke up this morning to go buy a sponge filter and general cure since I have the day off.
That lionfish didn’t make it through the night. Submitted a claim with liveaquaria. The other one is eating and doing well at least.

Lions are tough, one of mine is struggling now too. On the fuzzy, watch for cloudy eyes, faded or spochcy color, and stringy poo. Check for poo frequently as you can miss it, sometimes you can see it in the tank, it might look like shredded bits of white plastic. Don't think missing a feeding is normal, 1st few feeding he should have a good feeding response, after 3 or 4 feedings even responding to you at the tank, like begging. While they do perch alot, should also be active and alert. Since the fuzzy ate you will have some time to react if anything occurs, thats why 1st thing I like to fatten them up. First few feedings dont even bother with dead food, the nutritional benefit of live is best, and taunting wirh dead food can sometimes be stressful. Once they get a couple/few meals in them, they will be strong enough if you have to treat, and they go off feeding.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lions are tough, one of mine is struggling now too. On the fuzzy, watch for cloudy eyes, faded or spochcy color, and stringy poo. Check for poo frequently as you can miss it, sometimes you can see it in the tank, it might look like shredded bits of white plastic. Don't think missing a feeding is normal, 1st few feeding he should have a good feeding response, after 3 or 4 feedings even responding to you at the tank, like begging. While they do perch alot, should also be active and alert. Since the fuzzy ate you will have some time to react if anything occurs, thats why 1st thing I like to fatten them up. First few feedings dont even bother with dead food, the nutritional benefit of live is best, and taunting wirh dead food can sometimes be stressful. Once they get a couple/few meals in them, they will be strong enough if you have to treat, and they go off feeding.
What lionfish tend to be the most consistent in terms of feeding success? This may be helpful for future reference for all who read this thread.

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lionfish tend to be the most consistent in terms of feeding success? This may be helpful for future reference for all who read this thread.

He’s commented before that larger species like volitans and Russell’s are the easiest to get to eat. Fuzzies I think are the easiest dwarf species

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume larger species partly due to food size.

I don’t think it’s food size as much as those fish will just take to dead food easier. Dwarf species even with small food like mysis seem to just not take as easy if ever. Seems like they need that prey trigger more than the larger species

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king well, the fuzzy dwarf jumped out of the tank last night and landed on the floor. Didn’t find him until this morning. Not sure why he jumped, he was eating and doing well. With two lionfish dead in a week. I think I’ll take a break from these

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish jump, especially fuzzies, I wish I would have known your tank wasn't covered. At night they cruise around and go right over the edge of the tank. Too bad you had one that sounded like he was going to make it. You should rethink keeping the tank uncovered, many fish jump and people won't confess to it. It's normal ecspecially for a new addition to explore and go right over the edge.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back