multiple T5 fixtures for long tank.

Miami Reef

Reef Chem Enthusiast
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
17,255
Reaction score
29,664
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE T5’s. I switched from LED’s and I’m really, really happy.

Now, I may seem pretty stupid now:

Tank dimensions: 96”x 24”x26” LxWxH. It’s 8 feet long.

I browsed and read that I needed an 8 bulb fixture for tanks that was a width of 24”, so I bought 2 ATI fixtures, the 48” ones because it will be exactly 96” when together.

So now I have a total of 16 bulbs I need to change every 2 years.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with the coloration of my corals under T5’s. And I like how the par is consistent and even. Am I dumb for using 2 8 bulb fixtures of a 260 gallon tank?
 
I LOVE T5’s. I switched from LED’s and I’m really, really happy.

Now, I may seem pretty stupid now:

Tank dimensions: 96”x 24”x26” LxWxH. It’s 8 feet long.

I browsed and read that I needed an 8 bulb fixture for tanks that was a width of 24”, so I bought 2 ATI fixtures, the 48” ones because it will be exactly 96” when together.

So now I have a total of 16 bulbs I need to change every 2 years.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with the coloration of my corals under T5’s. And I like how the par is consistent and even. Am I dumb for using 2 8 bulb fixtures of a 260 gallon tank?
Congrats on the solid purchase!
HECK NO, you are not dumb my friend. I am just like you. I traded my radions for an ATI sunpower and will never look back. I love my T5s. I find more joy looking at my tank with T5s over it.
 
IMG-3962.jpg
 
I don’t think so. It’s cheaper than going hybrid with LEDs and T5, assuming you go with good quality LEDs. And with hybrid, you still have bulbs to replace.

You might want to consider adding some Reefbrite bars which will add back some dimension to the relatively flat T5 lighting.
 
Beautiful tank!
 
Last edited:
So I’m thinking of having this setup:

11am-2pm 2 bulb on each unit
2pm-8pm 6 bulb on each unit
8pm-11pm 2 bulbs

1:1 coral plus:blue plus

@jda Can this work with higher demand clams/SPS?
 
Or I can just run all my 16 bulbs for 8-10 hours a day.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new