Murdered my tank :(

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The provided hole saws are usually garbage. Once you cut a single hole they are trashed. It doesn't look that bad to me though and I'm sure it would work fine.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some advice for the next time you drill it is make a template out of at least 1/4” plywood it can be thicker as well and that will stop your bit from walking. And use some c clamps to hold the template on tank.

Thats what I have done in the past. Also, if you do it outside have a hose on a slow flow and have someone feed water into the template.

OP
OP
A

afk-47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its back from the dead! I took @Red_Beard first approach. I purchased a tile cutting bit and laid the template back over the holes. I was able to stick out the bit far enough so that I can ride the template without cutting it. I raised the left hole 1/8" and a bit to the left and dropped the right hole 1/8". It took about 10 minutes hole going slowly while taking breaks to spray the area down to avoid glass dust. This method is super messy but worked like a charm. The orings seals cover the holes nicely as well. Now just gotta clean up the mess and water test it.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd the water test go? I also had a rough time with their template (for the L version overflow), but was able to save things by using the dremel on the interior side box to make it fit for my "too high" holes.. The trim hides my screw up quite well lol

OP
OP
A

afk-47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd the water test go? I also had a rough time with their template (for the L version overflow), but was able to save things by using the dremel on the interior side box to make it fit for my "too high" holes.. The trim hides my screw up quite well lol
It does not leak. The template is total trash if you use a rimmed tank. If I could go back, I would have made my own with plywood.

OP
OP
A

afk-47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final update: The tank is finally set up as an FW goldfish tank...(The daughter's goldfish outgrew their 36gal)
I did have some issues with leaking. I added a gasket to the front and had to double up in the back. The tank has been up for 4 weeks now and is not a sign of water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back