Mushroom Coral?

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the easiest mushroom coral to keep? i.e the least likely to move around. I have a genus of mushroom that jumped off the rock and did not want to reattach to the rocks and ultimately led to its demise. I know there are mushroom cages but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a coral if you have to lock it up. Thanks!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found rhodactis to be the hardiest next to actinodiscus. Considering how hard it is to glue mushrooms I see cages as an asset. Mushroom cages are only used to keep polyps in place until they grab ahold of sand or gravel then they can be superglued to a rock or frag plug and set in the aquascaping. To help withth e process I'll carefully make 2 or 3 small nicks in the food with a scapel or razor blade so the muchroom grabs some gravel when it heals.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can glue mushrooms to a surface? Also, do ricordias generally move?
I've found rhodactis to be the hardiest next to actinodiscus. Considering how hard it is to glue mushrooms I see cages as an asset. Mushroom cages are only used to keep polyps in place until they grab ahold of sand or gravel then they can be superglued to a rock or frag plug and set in the aquascaping. To help withth e process I'll carefully make 2 or 3 small nicks in the food with a scapel or razor blade so the muchroom grabs some gravel when it heals.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No! They will not stay with glue. you can put in a dish with rubble and wait till they attach and then glue the rock to a place you want it. May not stay though.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No! They will not stay with glue. you can put in a dish with rubble and wait till they attach and then glue the rock to a place you want it. May not stay though.
Thank you! Which ones have generally stayed put for you?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I have kept beginning on low flow to medium light. They will grow and move as needed, but those conditions have been best for me. My rics like sandbed on rock. Most my shrooms are not in direct or high light at all.

Attachments

• pink shroom.jpg
    pink shroom.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 27
  • purple shroom (2).jpg
    purple shroom (2).jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Red Rodactis Apr22.jpg
    Red Rodactis Apr22.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 26
  • rhodactis2.jpg
    rhodactis2.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 28
  • rics2.jpg
    rics2.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I have kept beginning on low flow to medium light. They will grow and move as needed, but those conditions have been best for me. My rics like sandbed on rock. Most my shrooms are not in direct or high light at all.
Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If a mushroom (or other polyp) doesn't have sand or gravel attached to it's foot gluing rarely works. Putting it in a container with sand helps keep it in place until it attaches to something then you can set it in place and glueing will have a much better chance of working (but don't expect it to work all the time). Because mushrooms can have almost nuetral boyancy when inflated mushroom cups or cages are used to keep from losing it in the rock work.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back