My 125g display

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snapped a picture last night of my display and thought I would share. Every acropora in my tank was grown from a frag, something that I am proud of. Let me know what you think......thanks for looking,

Jay

PB040937.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snapped a picture last night of my display and thought I would share. Every acropora in my tank was grown from a frag, something that I am proud of. Let me know what you think......thanks for looking,

Jay
QUOTE]

very nice - there is nothing like a tank filled with large healthy corals grown from frags
how old is it?

OP
OP
J

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was set up in april of 2007. I had transfered some of the livestock and rock from a 45g tank. Here are some progression pictures of the tank as a whole. Most of the corals are ORA, with a couple from atlantis, and tyree.

2007053120070531_45.jpg

oct2007_17-1.jpg

OP
OP
J

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to recently move the pink birdsnest out of the display tank. It had grown too large and too dense, where water was no longer able to penetrate between the branches. I am turning over roughly 7000gph between 2 closed loops, return line, and korallia head. Detritus was getting trapped in the dense fused branches of the birdsnest and ended up killing portions of it from the inside out. I pulled the whole colony, which I had to break to get it into a 5 gallon bucket, and cut all the branch tips off. They are now in one of my frag tanks sitting in a pile that has become a jumble of fused branches growing again.

The green birdsnest in the center is now over 18 inches wide. Here is a picture of it when it was about 3 or 4 months old.

2007053120070531_27.jpg

Here is a picture from about 7 months or so ago.

P7070676.jpg

Here is a picture I took looking upwards. I just love the growth pattern of this tabling acropora. This colony is only about 10 inches plus wide, but it is 15 inches front to back. It is amazing how corals will grow to avoid other corals and warfare.
PB040927.jpg

OP
OP
J

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see, my pic taking skills are not that good, but it gives a good idea at least. Here is a shot of the montipora confusa which is taking over the center area of the tank. It kills or fights with everything, and the acros around it do not win. Youo can see it growing around and killing the tort and bonsai, but the tenuis(paletta blue) on the left has finally stood its ground and held it's own. I have broken this colony dozens of times, and have removed enough to cover at least two 12 inch plates worth of frags. It is time to break it up again. I took the picture of the full tank shot last night because I am going to chopping many of the corals up, as there is too much fighting and not enough room anymore.

PB040958.jpg

PB040929.jpg

OP
OP
J

jmuzzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the compliments. The tank is now mostly sps, as I had to remove all acans and trumpets due to my blue tang started taking a liking to them. He was eating them, and they were to expensive to lose. I sold some, and kept some. My trumpet coral started as 5 heads, and is now a couple hundred. The key is to make sure I pump enough calcium, alkalinity and magnesium into the system. Total water volume of the system as s whole is roughly 260gallons.

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks awesome jmuzzy , what wat lights did you start with ? and what did you upgrade too? just wondering cause i am in the mix of upgrading my lighting. looks awesome. also , how do think you are getting great growth out of your sps? thanks for your time

saltyfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last shot is awesome looking down the side ...
Very nice job and being all ora ,tyree , and atl that has to be plain sick to see in person.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful tank. always nice to see mature tanks full of nice colonies ! :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back