DSC_00132.jpg

DSC_00242.jpg

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bad for first pics! What kind did you get??

I love your jawfish btw....one day i would like to have one or two!

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys.. i'm waiting on the pro's to chime in.. i'll take any criticism.

i got the Nikon D3100

i love my jawfish..

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks.. i need to go out a get a white styro plate to put into the tank and get the WB set properly..

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys.. i'm waiting on the pro's to chime in.. i'll take any criticism.

i got the Nikon D3100

i love my jawfish..

No criticisim here...as i am still trying to figure this camera out myself. If you figure anything out let me know. As for a cool setting, in the advanced mode the "Freeze People" setting is really cool for catching fish on the go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll check it out..

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Some of them are really washed out, so I'd try reducing your exposure a bit if it looks too bright. You may also want to look into software for post processing and then you can tweak the white balance afterwards on raw images. IME, that makes a world of difference because I could never get the WB quite right.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your first shots, these are great!!

The Frogspawn and anemone shots are a bit blurry, but I would venture a guess that's because you were shooting at an angle. This causes more distortion, through the glass, so try to shoot perpendicular to the glass, whenever possible.

From looking at some of your EXIF data, it appears you're shooting in Auto mode. For instance, in the photo taken from the end of the tank, the camera is bumping your ISO up to 3200, which is WAY too high. Shutter speed is set at 200 and Aperture is set at F5.

The problem you'll run into is that your probably shooting with a "kit lens," which will be horribly "slow," meaning they aren't as good, for lower light conditions. Your camera is automatically compensating for this, by boosting your ISO. However, it's boosting it way too much.

Shoot in Manual mode. Set your ISO at about 600, to start. Shutter speed at about 100 and aperture at F4. See how that looks. If it's too dark, lower your shutter speed to 80. Still too dark? Can you shoot at a slower shutter speed and keep "camera shake" from interfering? If so, lower your shutter speed even more, to 60. At this point, moving fish may become blurry.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Some of them are really washed out, so I'd try reducing your exposure a bit if it looks too bright. You may also want to look into software for post processing and then you can tweak the white balance afterwards on raw images. IME, that makes a world of difference because I could never get the WB quite right.

i'll try that..

How long have you had your pearly jawfish?

about 10 months now

For your first shots, these are great!!

The Frogspawn and anemone shots are a bit blurry, but I would venture a guess that's because you were shooting at an angle. This causes more distortion, through the glass, so try to shoot perpendicular to the glass, whenever possible.

From looking at some of your EXIF data, it appears you're shooting in Auto mode. For instance, in the photo taken from the end of the tank, the camera is bumping your ISO up to 3200, which is WAY too high. Shutter speed is set at 200 and Aperture is set at F5.

The problem you'll run into is that your probably shooting with a "kit lens," which will be horribly "slow," meaning they aren't as good, for lower light conditions. Your camera is automatically compensating for this, by boosting your ISO. However, it's boosting it way too much.

Shoot in Manual mode. Set your ISO at about 600, to start. Shutter speed at about 100 and aperture at F4. See how that looks. If it's too dark, lower your shutter speed to 80. Still too dark? Can you shoot at a slower shutter speed and keep "camera shake" from interfering? If so, lower your shutter speed even more, to 60. At this point, moving fish may become blurry.

yeah the FTS were dont in auto but the rest were full manual even the focus..
i'll keep these settings in mind and try.. unfortunately the kit lens only goes down to f5.5

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good! do you have a tripod? if not get one fo sho. that and putting on a 2 second delay really helped me.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 2 second delay sounds like a good idea...

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice pics diggin the snowflake clowns really good quality pics keep em comeing

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back