OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops and I forgot to mention we had the privilege of participating in a baby sea turtle realse. The eggs had just hatched and we got to release hundreds of baby sea turtles into the gulf ! It was a truly amazing experience. It was dark out so unfortunately this is the only picture I was able to get as we where not allowed to use flashlights on the beach during the release. Here is my wife, she got so into it she had tears in her eyes because it was so beautiful!

D6538AC6-384E-44D1-AF6F-383F8613DF05.jpeg

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone ! I’m sitting here on the plane on my way back to NY and wanted to give you a sneak peak into what I captured snorkeling in Mexico. It was a eye opening experience, I was in shock at the size of the tangs I saw swimming around. The location we were at did not consist much of a reef full of corals but loads of fish from tangs, to wrasses , angel fish all in there natural habitat. I hope to write my first article based on my experience and thoughts but for now here’s a sneak peak
5163DA1C-3052-4971-BD58-6BB86DEDDA0B.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of course it figures I’m currently sick with a fever put here’s a sneak peek at some video I shot with my GoPro

You drank the water!!! :eek::eek::eek: ;Vomit;Vomit;Vomit

:p

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that sucks, relapse is my favorite coral. I'll be waiting for the update

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're killin me! I'll be in Riviera Maya in 4 weeks... reading your post makes me wish I was there already. Can't wait for snorkelling! Don't think I'll make it there in time for the turtle hatchings.

Good luck with your new fish acquisitions!

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're killin me! I'll be in Riviera Maya in 4 weeks... reading your post makes me wish I was there already. Can't wait for snorkelling! Don't think I'll make it there in time for the turtle hatchings.

Good luck with your new fish acquisitions!
That’s where we snorkeled in the area of riviera maya. It was a amazing experience you won’t be disappointed

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here it is....... it’s been 9 days since I had my hands in the tank. I came home on day 8 and the first thing I noticed was almost all my GHA that was on the rocks was gone. Replacing it was Brown stringy alage that was mostly confined to the sand bed and frag rack. Upon closer inspection I realized I had my first coral loss. My neon green frogspawn was dead and just the skeleton was left. I was disappointed to say the least and am not sure what happened. All my other corals appeared ok but not the happiest I’ve seen them. We had a pretty nasty storm and I know there was a power outage...... I’m not sure how long as it also knocked internet out and I couldn’t accurately tell via my apex log.

I was a under the weather on Thursday so I postponed tank maintenance and was able to get it done today. I still wasn’t feeling well but something just didn’t look right so I pushed myself into a 15 gal water change and a carbon and gfo change. I also tested all water parameters and was SHOCKED at what I found.

When I tested the alk it came out to 5.5! When I left I dosed from 7.5 to 9.5. Now I have a 2 headed frag of hammer , torch , Christmas favia , red monti, birds nest, 5 heads of red zoas, small frag of green monti, and 2 heads of acan. The biggest thing in my tank is the hammer. I know I was gone for 8 days but is it really possible my tank used that much alk ?! Given the limited corals I have? I did not see much in the of any precipitation anywhere in my sump or tank. So today I started to bring my alk back up and that will hopefully make the corals happier!

I also ordered my QT tank today I decided to go with innovative marine AIO 10 gallon aquarium, Space is limited so it will work out perfectly. I hope to have it set up and cycle by the end of next week. My first fish purchase will be a stary blenny and 2 bengi Cardinals. They will be this first quarantine group! Here are some pics from this morning b4 lights on and a few from yesterday

8844B2B3-66FA-44A4-A842-174C02290DEC.jpeg

4E7F06EB-9D4B-4822-8E74-D3C2939BDFDE.jpeg

FA7AF3EE-19F3-409D-9D76-12ACA72DC599.jpeg

27C44F73-CF12-4967-89A1-53C18C1F3902.jpeg

01B5416B-7AD8-492C-BAFE-24AD45D1E559.jpeg

A9EC9B4A-C888-4576-AB7B-77FFEA166ECE.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back