My 55 Gal. Reef Build Thread

spano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Rochester NY, I'm new to R2R and have been in the fish world only for about a year. I recently moved out of the house I was living in, my roommate and I had built a 75 Gal. Hex reef. This was the first salt tank I/ my roommate ever worked on and I learned a lot along the way. We had made many mistakes in the hex tank, which is still at my old house full of algae. (my old roommate let things go after I left). here are a few quick shots of the hex tank early on:

7726_554575050433_44205553_32978231.jpg

7726_554573897743_44205553_32978204.jpg

After getting settled in my new place I realized I really needed a reef to take care of so I could keep my sanity. I knew that I wanted to do a "Regular" shaped tank since the hex was such a PITA to work on, I was up to my armpit reaching to the bottom. I started searching craigslist and found this 55 gal. tank FS that came with a bio wheel filter (more on that later) and light canopy. I'm kicking myself because 3 days later a really nice fully setup reef went up for sale that was in my budget, but heck its more fun starting from scratch anyways.

I had pleanty of salt and about 10 lbs of crushed coral left from the start of my first tank, so I went out and got 25 lbs of arigonite sand and another 10 lbs of crushed coral. I went to 2 LFS's and picked up about 25 lbs of live rock at each, a 400 watt heater, Koralia 2 power head, and a CPR bak-pak2 with the pre-skimer box.

The plan is to let the bak-pak do the skimming and biological filtering, and to use the bio wheel without the wheels on it and turn it into a hang on the back fuge. I'm going to put live rock rubble & macro algae on one side, a mangrove on the other and a light over it. Think this sounds logical? I dont want to have a sump and I think I can get away with this plan.

OP
OP
spano

spano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the new tank on 10/9/09, added a tr ocellaris clown fish, yellow bodied coral banded shrimp and a frag of pulsing zenia on 10/15/09. everything has been stable so far. Here are some pics:

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
spano

spano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I forgot the mini cleaning crew, theres 3 turbo snails, 6 red legged hermit crabs, and 2 nassarius snails. I plan on adding more next week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back