My 57 Rimless

Chknsamich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. By running a manifold you can run one pump for everything. Return, carbon, biopellets (if you go with them) and anything else that needs a feed pump. My system is ran by a single jebao dc6000. This feeds my carbon/gfo reactor, my skimmer and returns water to the tank. Here's and example of what I mean. Basically you "T" off of your return line to feed other equipment.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1420686609.632184.jpg

Hope that helps
Pretty sweet setup!

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what my sea urchin is doing? This lasted for several minutes from when I noticed it. My first guess is it's eggs or sperm.

lueleon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of let me thank you for the awesome build thread you have put up here. It really is motivating me to get on with my 105 gallon project that I hope to get up and going soon. I plan on doing a build thread as well to share and get advice from other people on here as well.

3 questions for you:
First do you ever quarantine your coral and fish? It seems like you add to display tank as soon as you receive?

Secondly, I've been set on purchasing the radion xr30 pro models for some time now but it looks like you are having great results with t5's. They kind of go online with the whole simplicity theme of your tank. Do you feel confident in your decision of switching over to t5's still?

Third, at first you decided to do cheeto algae but then decided to stay with bio pellets, did you ever consider miracle mud and algae combo in your sump? It would have also had added benefit of growing your own food for a fish such as a spotted or green mandarin.

Appreciate your thoughts and keep up the great work.

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of let me thank you for the awesome build thread you have put up here. It really is motivating me to get on with my 105 gallon project that I hope to get up and going soon. I plan on doing a build thread as well to share and get advice from other people on here as well.

3 questions for you:
First do you ever quarantine your coral and fish? It seems like you add to display tank as soon as you receive?

Secondly, I've been set on purchasing the radion xr30 pro models for some time now but it looks like you are having great results with t5's. They kind of go online with the whole simplicity theme of your tank. Do you feel confident in your decision of switching over to t5's still?

Third, at first you decided to do cheeto algae but then decided to stay with bio pellets, did you ever consider miracle mud and algae combo in your sump? It would have also had added benefit of growing your own food for a fish such as a spotted or green mandarin.

Appreciate your thoughts and keep up the great work.

Thank you for the kind words. The 105 is a beautiful size. Once you start building you won't be able to stop. At least that is how it was for me. Is your 105 the rimless?

I am one of those foolish reefers that don't quarantine my coral or fish. I always dip my corals before putting them in my tank. As you know I recently got a tang. I felt I should have quarantined it, but it was a gift and I didn't have time to set up a quarantine tank. It was purchased from Vivid so that made me feel more comfortable putting it right in my tank.

I had the Radions for the first 8-9 months on this tank and recently switched to the T5s. It's only been about a month, but I'm still thrilled with making the switch. Corals seem to be much happier and there is no guessing with what power or color to run them at. With T5s you select the bulbs and the run time they do the rest. With Radion's they are fun because you can constantly change things, but I also found that to be a major negative in the long run. You really want consistency with corals. Certainly once you have the Radion's dialed in they are great I just never got them dialed in for the growth I wanted to do.

I never actually ended up putting my bio pellet reactor on this tank. I think with a bigger skimmer and more water volume my phosphates stayed at 0 or undetectable by Hanna and my nitrates were at 4. Just 7 days ago I added the Chaeto and Caulerpa to the sump and tested my nitrates yesterday and they are already down to 2. I was very pleased to see that the algae is doing it's job. With the Triton mud they suggest just a mix of algae no mud or live rock so that's what I'm trying.

When I started reefing I got a Mandarin and it died because of my in ability to supply it with enough food. I'm not sure I will ever own another one especially with all my wrasses who eat the same food. If I did it would have to be one that already eats frozen food.

I look forward to seeing your build thread. Happy reefing and happy holidays.

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On December 12th, 2015 I sent in my first Triton test sample. On that same day I tested my water to compare to Triton. I was expecting things to be low, but seeing aluminum so high was a shocker. I'm just not sure what could be causing it. I posted a separate thread to ask that question and others.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/triton-test-is-back-need-advice.228751/

01041601.JPG
01041602.JPG

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish have always produced eggs on a regular basis. I tried to raise the larvae early on twice with no luck. I know the food I was using wasn't ideal. Right now they have a large batch of eggs and I just ordered some rotifers from Live Aquaria along with live phytoplankton and live pods from Algae Barn. Both orders will be in before the eggs hatch. The eggs should hatch sometime between next Thursday to Saturday.

If anyone has any advice on how to raise the larvae please let me know.

One issue I know I had last time was keeping the salinity stable without an ATO. Does anyone have a DIY way of doing this? I get a lot of evaporation in my house during the winter. The indoor temperature is usually around 60-65 degree during the day and 56-58 degrees at night.

IMG_5259.jpg

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish have always produced eggs on a regular basis. I tried to raise the larvae early on twice with no luck. I know the food I was using wasn't ideal. Right now they have a large batch of eggs and I just ordered some rotifers from Live Aquaria along with live phytoplankton and live pods from Algae Barn. Both orders will be in before the eggs hatch. The eggs should hatch sometime between next Thursday to Saturday.

If anyone has any advice on how to raise the larvae please let me know.

One issue I know I had last time was keeping the salinity stable without an ATO. Does anyone have a DIY way of doing this? I get a lot of evaporation in my house during the winter. The indoor temperature is usually around 60-65 degree during the day and 56-58 degrees at night.

IMG_5259.jpg
Good luck! I have no experience raising the fry but I plan on looking into it soon. My clowns have been laying eggs for a little while now and the clutches keep getting bigger. I think it would be cool to try and raise some.

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I spent 2 hours pull bubble algae with tweezers. I removed small rocks out of the water and pulled everything off. The rocks with corals I can't removed I went around the corals removing everything that was near it. I made this bubble algae tool that I will use tomorrow during a water change. It's a piece of stiff tubing connected to soft tubing. It should work well to poke and pull the bubble off and suck out at the same time. I am determined to get this stuff out of my tank. I know I can't get it all and I feel I will always have some, but right now it's getting out of control.

Do any of you have advice on naturally removing this stuff?

IMG_5263.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG

IMG_5261.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a few emerald crabs but need more than 2 I would say so they compete for food and will try to eat more of it

Big Larr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard a lot of people say they will eat it but if only one in there he's in no hurry you see with a few they may compete with each other for the food

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard a lot of people say they will eat it but if only one in there he's in no hurry you see with a few they may compete with each other for the food

Done I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for the tip. I really hope it works. This stuff drives me nuts!!!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a lot! I'm dealing with some as well. I like you're rigid tubing idea I may have to try it. I have been doing something similar but using a turkey Baster to knock the BA off the rock with sucking it at the same time. Took a little while to get the technique down but it's been working pretty well.

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a lot! I'm dealing with some as well. I like you're rigid tubing idea I may have to try it. I have been doing something similar but using a turkey Baster to knock the BA off the rock with sucking it at the same time. Took a little while to get the technique down but it's been working pretty well.

I've really let it get our of control. I've done the turkey baster too, but you can't get into the crevasses with it. I hope this will work better. Then it's emerald crab time!!! I did have one emerald crab that liked to nip at my acans. I will put up with any of this bs.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really let it get our of control. I've done the turkey baster too, but you can't get into the crevasses with it. I hope this will work better. Then it's emerald crab time!!! I did have one emerald crab that liked to nip at my acans. I will put up with any of this bs.
Yup having the same issue with the turkey Baster. Definitly going to try your idea. With the emeralds I have heard that the females tend to be less aggressive than the males. Good luck man!

OP
OP
rboutin111

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember the more you burst inside the tank the more it can spread

Oh I'm well aware. That's why I removed the rocks I can. I was gentle with bubble around the corals in the tank. The rest will be sucked out at the same time so the spores can't spread. Although it's still not clear if they actually release spores when popped.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back