OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran the numbers since I made some adjustment yesterday. I also bumped up the volume of GFO by a half a cups. I really need to measure in grams once I get it right:D
Tank test results.PNG

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Turf Scrubber = ATS, sorry friend.

IMO your nutrients are where you need them, you just need to figure a way to get rid of the Cyano then keep it from coming back. I know you're still early on trying to beat them with water changes. I just really believe if you had some type of Macro Alage to out compete them you would finally be rid of them. Whether you do it with a Chaeto reactor, Fuge, Turf Scrubber...etc.

The reason I mentioned it seemed you were all over the place with Phospahtes is because I kind of look at a Macro Algae style solution similar to the Water Surge Tank in people's houses who have well water. It's primary function is to keep the pump from cycling on and off every time there is 3 drips from a faucet and pressure gets to low. A macro algae style system, however you were to implement it would help give you some buffer with a lot of things.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran the number this morning
Tank test results.PNG

It is Saturday afternoon, and here are the lucky numbers
Tank test results.PNG

Okay timeout for a minute here.

1 . You're doing automatic water changes correct?

2. Do you have things setup so that your ATO (top off) is turned off while's you're doing said water change?

According to what you posted Wednesday you had 35ppt water made up to mix and a tank at 33ppt. Then on Sunday your tank was down to 32ppt. This tells me me something isn't right here, be it your refractometer or whatever means you're using to measure salinity...etc.

Everything in our tanks is based off of a certain salinity level. Say you choose to go with 35ppt. All of the numbers you test for are going to test out at different concentrations if you're not maintaining a stable salinity.

Example for clarity. Say last Sunday you were at 35 PPT, Wednesday at 35 and this Sunday 35. If you read 1350 Mg then 1320 then 1300 I would believe that.

However, because your salinity is dancing all over the place it's going to throw the ratios off in your testing. I don't know what salt you're using as it is irrelevant so I just picked one. Here is a picture of the ratios of elements of Red Sea Blue Bucket according to the website/bucket

UL2K9dT.png

My overall point is, if you can't get a stable salinity throughout the week, testing and adjusting isn't going to do you a whole lot of good as your numbers are ever going to be evolving and changing because of the change in salinity.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2. Do you have things setup so that your ATO (top off) is turned off while's you're doing said water change?

According to what you posted Wednesday you had 35ppt water made up to mix and a tank at 33ppt. Then on Sunday your tank was down to 32ppt. This tells me me something isn't right here, be it your refractometer or whatever means you're using to measure salinity...etc.

Everything in our tanks is based off of a certain salinity level. Say you choose to go with 35ppt. All of the numbers you test for are going to test out at different concentrations if you're not maintaining a stable salinity.

Example for clarity. Say last Sunday you were at 35 PPT, Wednesday at 35 and this Sunday 35. If you read 1350 Mg then 1320 then 1300 I would believe that.

However, because your salinity is dancing all over the place it's going to throw the ratios off in your testing. I don't know what salt you're using as it is irrelevant so I just picked one. Here is a picture of the ratios of elements of Red Sea Blue Bucket according to the website/bucket

UL2K9dT.png

My overall point is, if you can't get a stable salinity throughout the week, testing and adjusting isn't going to do you a whole lot of good as your numbers are ever going to be evolving and changing because of the change in salinity.

Second that.
Salinity is IMHO one of the most important parameters for us reefers as it affects all during water changes.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second that.
Salinity is IMHO one of the most important parameters for us reefers as it affects all during water changes.

Yep and most underrated. Best thing is an ATO is an easy solution to take care of such an important parameter.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am not doing that again, it took me a day to recover:rolleyes::eek::D;);)

Yes

Yes

I use a digital refractometer and sometime when I read the salinity, I will have a off measurement. This would be human error. I still make a note and test again the next day. I am usually back to normal or I will add a tiny bit of salt to adjust back up or ro/di to adjust down.

Correct- I had been running stable salinity for years, until I could not trust my Apex probe any more. The all over the chart conductivity reading started after the last frimware update. I did the calibration a couple of times to no avail and that is when I purchased a very nice digital refractometer. I used to run my salinity at 1.025. After putting the digital refractometer into use I switch to PPT.

xample for clarity. Say last Sunday you were at 35 PPT, Wednesday at 35 and this Sunday 35. If you read 1350 Mg then 1320 then 1300 I would believe that.

UL2K9dT.png

I use the Aquaforest reef salt and have been using for almost 3 years with great success. As stated above I would run my salinity at 1.025 using the conductivity number on the Apex. After your post I did a little looking around and the light went on about where I am keeping my salinity:D

I live very close to WWC and when I first setup my present tank, I was told that I should keep my salinity at 1.025. During the hole up and down Conductivity probe issue, I did run a low salinity for a couple of months and this really affected my corals.

Thank you, with the chart you posted I started asking myself question and also looked around. That journey led me to the Aquaforest site, where Aquaforest recommends salinity's for each salt.
For reef salt here is the recommendations below
Aquaforest reefsalt guide.png

I am going to bump up my systems salinity to 34 ppt instead of 33 ppt or instead of running a 1.0249 I will be running a 1.0256 since I have a mixed reef and see how the system looks

My parameters have been off since April because of implementation the Auto Water Change and the messed up conductivity reading. I killed off a few large corals and my consumption of my balling dosing went down. My alk also has been unsteady until the last month. Now that I have the alk steadied out again I am getting the Ca and Mg were they were. Mg used to run around 1400 and Ca around 450

with adjust in salinity up a notch I will have to readjust my dosing.;)

This is a very good point and I will work and that sir:):D

Second that.

Yep and most underrated. Best thing is an ATO is an easy solution to take care of such an important parameter.

Yes and also a steady alk.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amoo progress report. After bumping the salinity from 33ppt to 34 to 35 ppt the tank looks some much better. I will get a shot tomorrow.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome @jsker I'm super happy for you. I was extremely confused as to how a 33ppt tank with 35ppt Auto water change equaled a new DT value of 32ppt. Those maths didn't add up for me.

Glad you took a second look at things and are getting things stable.

Out of curiosity what are you using to check salinity? I have a refract, the Milwaukee and Apex probe. I have my own opinion on each, curious which you are using though and how you're liking it.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome

What I did not say was thank you.

Out of curiosity what are you using to check salinity?

I used to rely on the Apex until I started having issues back in May. I now use a Hanna digital refractometer. I really like the digital.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're more then welcome buddy. It's as you said. Sometimes an outside perspective on things makes it easy for us to notice things we would otherwise miss.

The Milwaukee is the newest in my arsenal and I'm not 100% sure yet how I like it compared to my refract. I do appreciate being able to bounce the number on my digital off of my refract if I'm not believing my readout. I gave up on my Apex probe a long time ago :(

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on my Apex probe a long time ago :(

The Apex conductivity probe was rock solid for the longest time. I really think it is a software issue with the classic.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker
Your reef is doing great.

FWIW:
I mix to .35 too.
It helps a cal reactor's / calcium to stay in-balance with the alk.

(lol)
Stole that tip from Randy for a cal reactor.

:)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker
Your reef is doing great.

FWIW:
I mix to .35 too.
It helps a cal reactor's / calcium to stay in-balance with the alk.

(lol)
Stole that tip from Randy for a cal reactor.

:)

cleaning the glass, and later I am going to test and snap a picture.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow it been a week. Between My cloud drive crashing, crashing a computer to figure out Linux and work my tank is humming along pretty good.
My Test results.png

I have not run filter socks in about a week and just change the water with the auto water change every day.

That is about it:D

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back