My Current QT Process

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Big G I understand now the reasoning behind the protocol that @HotRocks originally posted on this thread. Petco's dollar-per-gallon sale is going on now, time to get one more 20L :)
Yep. I keep two QTs going 24/7. One for fish only and one for corals & inverts. :) Keeps my home office cozy :D

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there,

Excellent thread, and I have been subscribed for a while. I'm a few days away from having the display ready for fish, and I've had a small batch in a 40b with copper for 4 weeks.

I am following the protocol outlined below, and wanted to know if it was ok to do a 15% water change on day 2 (between metro/GC treatments)?

Thank you!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach ruins them. So yes if I sterilize I Toss it and put a new one in.

I buy them in bulk. Keep in mind I have 6 QTs running right now, treating fish for a large build of @4FordFamily and running various experiments.
Why couldn't you be closer to me, I would just send my fish to you, LOL!!!:D

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Excellent thread, and I have been subscribed for a while. I'm a few days away from having the display ready for fish, and I've had a small batch in a 40b with copper for 4 weeks.

I am following the protocol outlined below, and wanted to know if it was ok to do a 15% water change on day 2 (between metro/GC treatments)?

Thank you!

If you are doing WCs during copper it's important to pre-dose the newly mixed water with copper to match your tank copper level. You can perform whatever size you like as long as the copper level matches before adding it.

If you are doing WCs between metro or GC, I generally just do the change right before the dose that's due. That way you don't reduce the concentration of whatever medication it is you are using too soon.
Why couldn't you be closer to me, I would just send my fish to you, LOL!!!:D
Lol I am still trying to figure out why I love QTing fish. ;)

The punishment of at least a 40g water change nightly lately. :O

We have been testing some new methods as well and will have some updates soon!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing WCs during copper it's important to pre-dose the newly mixed water with copper to match your tank copper level. You can perform whatever size you like as long as the copper level matches before adding it.

If you are doing WCs between metro or GC, I generally just do the change right before the dose that's due. That way you don't reduce the concentration of whatever medication it is you are using too soon.

Lol I am still trying to figure out why I love QTing fish. ;)

The punishment of at least a 40g water change nightly lately. :O

We have been testing some new methods as well and will have some updates soon!
My biggest wish when it comes to QT'ing would be to find a way to go from Copper to Prazi quicker, if you aren't able to remove fish after the 14 day Copper session and put them in a sterile tank, as I wasn't in a position to do this time, you have to do, what amounts to 5 water changes in 5 days to get the copper down to safe levels to dose Prazi, I wish their was another way to close the gap on days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest wish when it comes to QT'ing would be to find a way to go from Copper to Prazi quicker, if you aren't able to remove fish after the 14 day Copper session and put them in a sterile tank, as I wasn't in a position to do this time, you have to do, what amounts to 5 water changes in 5 days to get the copper down to safe levels to dose Prazi, I wish their was another way to close the gap on days.
That will be addressed as well. We have an answer, I want to be able to repeat what we are doing 3 times in a row successfully with several different species to make sure it's "safe".

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, stay tuned! :D

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are doing WCs during copper it's important to pre-dose the newly mixed water with copper to match your tank copper level.

Always.

You can perform whatever size you like as long as the copper level matches before adding it.

Guess it would have helped if I actually posted the protocol I was talking about, but it looks like you were already on it.

Thank you so much for the quick feedback and guidance. Definitely "staying tuned".

Be chatting...

Nathan

CaseyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @HotRocks
I am using your QT process for my current batch of fish. I have a Panamic Barnacle Blenny, Yellow Clown Goby and a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse in a 20l QT and I'm on day 10 of therapeutic copper. I have been feeding 2 or 3 times a day and everyone has been eating great. Today i noticed that the Blenny is missing the translucent part of its right pectoral fin and is swimming awkwardly as a result. They all seem to get along and I haven't seen any aggression between any of the fish, though i'm not with them 24/7 so its possible there is. It's still eating great. I don't see any red marks and the remaining fin isn't turning white. I was worried about it being an infection/fin rot so I dosed Spectogram. I only added the regular dose of 1 capsule per 10g though and just noticed a post where you recommended doubling it. Should I continue the 10 day treatment of Spectogram after I transfer tanks on day 14 or switch to NFG in the new tank? Or does it not sound like an infection and I shouldn't be adding abx?

Thanks for the help, I have been learning a lot from your posts!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @HotRocks
I am using your QT process for my current batch of fish. I have a Panamic Barnacle Blenny, Yellow Clown Goby and a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse in a 20l QT and I'm on day 10 of therapeutic copper. I have been feeding 2 or 3 times a day and everyone has been eating great. Today i noticed that the Blenny is missing the translucent part of its right pectoral fin and is swimming awkwardly as a result. They all seem to get along and I haven't seen any aggression between any of the fish, though i'm not with them 24/7 so its possible there is. It's still eating great. I don't see any red marks and the remaining fin isn't turning white. I was worried about it being an infection/fin rot so I dosed Spectogram. I only added the regular dose of 1 capsule per 10g though and just noticed a post where you recommended doubling it. Should I continue the 10 day treatment of Spectogram after I transfer tanks on day 14 or switch to NFG in the new tank? Or does it not sound like an infection and I shouldn't be adding abx?

Thanks for the help, I have been learning a lot from your posts!
Thank you for the kind words. You guys are what keeps me at this and wanting to streamline this process so everyone can have fat healthy happy fish! Glad it's helpful!

It doesn't sound bacterial in nature to me. If you upload a pic when you get a chance it may be helpful.

Flukes could easily cause the damage you explain, as well as the possible aggression you mentioned.

Fins usually heal really well on their own.

I don't know that the spectrogram is necessarily the answer here. Until you figure out the cause and if it's actually an infection. FYI if you read further down on the instructions in the package you will see it's a manufacturer recommendation to double the dosage for Marine applications. Just for future use, you want it to be effective if needed. I've never used it at a lesser concentration so I can't say what the outcome may be.

Traian Boala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you #HotRocks for the great effort you make so the reefing community have healthier fish. I am from Europe and here we don't find General Cure, Focus, Metroplex, Kanaplex or any other med that contains antibiotics. Do you, by any chance, know some alternatives to these meds? There is another quarantine protocol that doesn't use ABX?

ramabama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up @HotRocks I have a 20 gal and a 10 gal tank. Any recommendation on which one to use for the copper treatment then use the other one for the transfer after 14 days?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up @HotRocks I have a 20 gal and a 10 gal tank. Any recommendation on which one to use for the copper treatment then use the other one for the transfer after 14 days?
IMO I'd use the larger tank for observation or which step has the longest amount of time in the tank. For example, if your treatment is 15 days and you plan to observe for a week, use the 20 first. This also controls for if you have any losses, they won't be as cramped. 100% success is possible but unlikely, for obvious reasons.

It also depends on what fish you have whether a 10 or 20 is suitable, but I assume you know that.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you #HotRocks for the great effort you make so the reefing community have healthier fish. I am from Europe and here we don't find General Cure, Focus, Metroplex, Kanaplex or any other med that contains antibiotics. Do you, by any chance, know some alternatives to these meds? There is another quarantine protocol that doesn't use ABX?

Thank you for the kind words! @Humblefish can probably help here. He has more experience and knowledge when it comes to suitable substitutions overseas.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uk-alternative-to-focus-metroplex.444976/

Also, I know fenbendazole can be sourced in Europe, and that is a good substitute for treating intestinal worms and even flukes.

You also should be able to get Chloroquine phosphate pretty easily: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

CaseyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words. You guys are what keeps me at this and wanting to streamline this process so everyone can have fat healthy happy fish! Glad it's helpful!

It doesn't sound bacterial in nature to me. If you upload a pic when you get a chance it may be helpful.

Flukes could easily cause the damage you explain, as well as the possible aggression you mentioned.

Fins usually heal really well on their own.

I don't know that the spectrogram is necessarily the answer here. Until you figure out the cause and if it's actually an infection. FYI if you read further down on the instructions in the package you will see it's a manufacturer recommendation to double the dosage for Marine applications. Just for future use, you want it to be effective if needed. I've never used it at a lesser concentration so I can't say what the outcome may be.

Thanks for the input! I'm having trouble getting a good picture. I guess ill hold off on any more abx, keep a close eye on it and continue with the plan of transferring out of copper in a few days and starting GC. As it is still eating well, would the stress of a freshwater dip be worth it if im planning on starting treatment for flukes in a few days regardless? Is there any other symptoms of it becoming infected that I should keep an eye out for other then redness or a white film? Redness would be hard to see as its natural color pattern has a red band on the base of the fin. Should I continue mixing GC with food after the transfer or is the 17 days enough for anything internal?

Thanks!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I'm having trouble getting a good picture. I guess ill hold off on any more abx, keep a close eye on it and continue with the plan of transferring out of copper in a few days and starting GC. As it is still eating well, would the stress of a freshwater dip be worth it if im planning on starting treatment for flukes in a few days regardless? Is there any other symptoms of it becoming infected that I should keep an eye out for other then redness or a white film? Redness would be hard to see as its natural color pattern has a red band on the base of the fin. Should I continue mixing GC with food after the transfer or is the 17 days enough for anything internal?

Thanks!
My recommendation would be to dip first. If there is a heavy infestation of flukes and you dose the GC prior to a dip it could cause Gill damage. Here is why. The flukes spasm violently upon introduction to praziquantel. They can damage the gills when doing so. In FW they just calmly detach from the fish.

I would hold off on antibiotics and watch for redness. It's not common to see bacterial infections on fins. They are usually contained to the body of the fish.

17 days of med soaked food should be sufficient as long as you are not seeing any white stringy poop.

CaseyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation would be to dip first. If there is a heavy infestation of flukes and you dose the GC prior to a dip it could cause Gill damage. Here is why. The flukes spasm violently upon introduction to praziquantel. They can damage the gills when doing so. In FW they just calmly detach from the fish.

I would hold off on antibiotics and watch for redness. It's not common to see bacterial infections on fins. They are usually contained to the body of the fish.

17 days of med soaked food should be sufficient as long as you are not seeing any white stringy poop.

Sounds good, Thanks!

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of not having to buy fish, I have to say my recent online purchase has left me mad, sad and struggling to save fish. Out of 3 one was DOA, one is dying a slow death and the 3rd, a blue eyed tang is for the moment eating like a horse (frozen soaked in GC + Focus) however, he has this fungus? growing on his lips and a big white spot on his side. I've researched and still not sure what it is or how to treat. Was going to start Copper Power today but thinking maybe GC externally or something else first? Suggestions welcome please, they are in a quarantine tank so DT is fine. This will be my last online purchase even if I do have to drive hours to a LFS.
IMG_5358.jpg IMG_5362.jpg IMG_5364.jpg IMG_5366.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of not having to buy fish, I have to say my recent online purchase has left me mad, sad and struggling to save fish. Out of 3 one was DOA, one is dying a slow death and the 3rd, a blue eyed tang is for the moment eating like a horse (frozen soaked in GC + Focus) however, he has this fungus? growing on his lips and a big white spot on his side. I've researched and still not sure what it is or how to treat. Was going to start Copper Power today but thinking maybe GC externally or something else first? Suggestions welcome please, they are in a quarantine tank so DT is fine. This will be my last online purchase even if I do have to drive hours to a LFS.
IMG_5358.jpg IMG_5362.jpg IMG_5364.jpg IMG_5366.PNG
I have seen this recently in a few different tangs.

I would recommend Sulfaplex or API triple Sulfa. Any med that contains Sulfathiazole. It seems to work best with infections around or near the mouth. You could also combine it with kanamycin (Kanaplex) and Nirtofurazone (Furan-2). That would give you a nice wide range of coverage.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back