OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wondered if you'd try that, since appetite supression hasn't seemed to be an issue with a fast ramp, even with species previously thought to be sensitive. Any "sensitive" species in that batch? Any signs of appetite supression?
None whatsoever. So here is what happened. I have 6 QTs running right now plus we have a 55 running at @4FordFamily's house we are using for NFG for any fish that need antibiotics after all other treatments are finished.

Jason happened to stop by the worst LFS we have in town and they had fish riddened with velvet. He grabbed 4 of them and all tanks were already therapeutic. Added 2 tangs and a foxface to copper and a copperband to CP.

All 3 fish added to copper ate like crazy and we're seemingly unaffected.

So after all that my wheels are turning. Jason finds another grouping of fish he wants and orders them. We added them directly into therapeutic copper + metro. They are all doing great.

This also reduces the total time they have to spend in copper (immunosuppressant) yet again.

Again. I'm just sharing this with you since you inquired. I am not recommending this as the go to treatment method. I would like to repeat it with success several times before we make it the go to option.

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand. Thanks for sharing. I've been kicking around ideas about how to iterate on your method based on the type of fish and its disease preponderance.

I speculated to my fish buddy just today that a ramp might not even be necessary anymore (because Hanna). It's the logical conclusion if you guys are right and the copper sensitivity we used to see was actually reaction to an overdose we couldn't detect with the old testing options. So obviously I was really interested to read you'd tried it.

All that said, i'm not sure i'm confident enough to try it myself (yet). Mostly because I haven't had a velvet problem with the 2 day ramp. I'm happy to let you guys blaze that trail for now. :)

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @HotRocks

Just chiming in. As you may now I went through very hard times in my DT. I was able thanks to a huge support of this community to save 2 of the 21 that I had.

I'm now ready to start slow since I've gain some much knowledge on how to QT a fish. I've just finished the copper on 2 Maroons and 1 Sailfin Tang.

They went this morning to the transfer tank like your procedure (match salinity x temps). Unfortunately one the clowns didn't make it. Tomorrow I'm starting prazipro.

My question is. Why not use General Cure instead of Prazipro? Wouldn't be better since there's one clown in the game?

I know we cover internal parasites soaking food in GC + Focus but can we ensure that the fish ate enough?

I'm just wondering if there's anything that I can use to give some kind of a boost. I also bought Spectogram if that helps.

Thanks a lot.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @HotRocks

Just chiming in. As you may now I went through very hard times in my DT. I was able thanks to a huge support of this community to save 2 of the 21 that I had.

I'm now ready to start slow since I've gain some much knowledge on how to QT a fish. I've just finished the copper on 2 Maroons and 1 Sailfin Tang.

They went this morning to the transfer tank like your procedure (match salinity x temps). Unfortunately one the clowns didn't make it. Tomorrow I'm starting prazipro.

My question is. Why not use General Cure instead of Prazipro? Wouldn't be better since there's one clown in the game?

I know we cover internal parasites soaking food in GC + Focus but can we ensure that the fish ate enough?

I'm just wondering if there's anything that I can use to give some kind of a boost. I also bought Spectogram if that helps.

Thanks a lot.
I do use General cure.

You can also fill in doses of metronidazole to get an effective derworming treatment and an effective Brook/Uronema treatment.

See this post just a bit earlier in the thread by @Humblefish:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/page-6#post-5525062

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use General cure.

You can also fill in doses of metronidazole to get an effective derworming treatment and an effective Brook/Uronema treatment.

See this post just a bit earlier in the thread by @Humblefish:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/page-6#post-5525062

So I can use the combo GC + Metro instead of Prazi? Just asking because Prazi takes 5-7 days. By GC's instructions you have to redose after 48 hours and after that do 25% WC.

After this WC should I do another dose of GC and Metro like you do in your method with prazi? Or just one would do the trick?

Thanks

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can use the combo GC + Metro instead of Prazi? Just asking because Prazi takes 5-7 days. By GC's instructions you have to redose after 48 hours and after that do 25% WC.

After this WC should I do another dose of GC and Metro like you do in your method with prazi? Or just one would do the trick?

Thanks
Forget the directions. Follow that link I sent you.

Prazipro contains praziquantel.

GC contains metronidazole and praziquantel.

You still need to spread the two doses of GC 5-7 days apart to make sure you kill any hatchlings that make it past the initial dose.

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

Oh now I get it sorry for the confusion.

GC is pretty much Prazi + Metro.

Two medications in one.

Thanks

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh now I get it sorry for the confusion.

GC is pretty much Prazi + Metro.

Two medications in one.

Thanks
Yes, the concentration of praziquantel is slightly lower in GC than in Prazipro if dosed as instructed. GC will usually get the job done though.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the concentration of praziquantel is slightly lower in GC than in Prazipro if dosed as instructed. GC will usually get the job done though.
Any reason not to mix your own? IE Prazi and Metro? General Cure seems expensive to me and I normally have Prazi and metro individually on hand.

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason not to mix your own? IE Prazi and Metro? General Cure seems expensive to me and I normally have Prazi and metro individually on hand.

I plan to use Prazipro and Metroplex separately for external water based treatment. (It give you more treatment flexibility.) And General Cure/Focus for internal parasites and worms. (provides more broadcast treatment than metro alone)

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to use Prazipro and Metroplex separately for external water based treatment. (It give you more treatment flexibility.) And General Cure/Focus for internal parasites and worms. (provides more broadcast treatment than metro alone)
Not really the question...If General cure is really just prazi and metro mixed together why not just mix your own. Guess I kinda answering my own question.
APi General Cure.jpg

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=22e84714-366b-4a90-89e2-eae934716af4
Active Ingrediets:
METRONIDAZOLE 250 mg in 2 g
PRAZIQUANTEL 75 mg in 2 g

Prazi-pro - ingredients
3Composition/Information on Ingredients
Dipropylene glycol 25265-71-8 <95 percent
Praziquantel 55268-74-1 <7 percent

Last edited:

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not exactly the same thing. That Dipropylene glycol in prazipro has contraindications you don't have to worry about if you use General Cure, or alternatively Praziquantel and Metronidazole.

So if you use prazipro and metro, just make sure you know what all it can't be mixed with.

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post!

@HotRocks I always use RODI for QT, but is there really a reason to? Also, can you explain why you lower salinity to 1.019?

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this has a been a fantastic read. My medicine cabinet stocking order has been placed after a recent scare and QT tank is ready.
Though now I have to buy a second one.

One detail throughout this I am missing (probably because I’m still a rookie) is the time frame for bringing salinity up to match DT.

Is this done within the first 14 days?
Throughout the entire 30 day timeframe?

Cheers,
C

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post!

@HotRocks I always use RODI for QT, but is there really a reason to? Also, can you explain why you lower salinity to 1.019?
I would recommend to use RODI for water quality reasons.

Most of the fish I order come from QM or a vendor that ships from QM. They typically send fish out at 1.018-1.020. No matter where you order from you want the arriving salinity to match QT salinity.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ever treated one. Used copper. I would not recommend CP for tusks.

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted confirmation of my suspicion. Really enjoy your posts and often speak with good insight and practical experience. If I am correct I think you live in Indiana as do I. Seems like Indiana is building a nice contingent of marine aquarists!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Just wanted confirmation of my suspicion. Really enjoy your posts and often speak with good insight and practical experience. If I am correct I think you live in Indiana as do I. Seems like Indiana is building a nice contingent of marine aquarists!
We don’t mess around in the Hoosier state! :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back