• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

My First Frag Swap

Tannermule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

If you want to just give help on pricing start at SWAP PRICING. If you want more context, keep reading.

I am trying for the first time to sell coral at my local frag swap. It is LEAR in Cleveland. I am trying to figure out how to do this effectively and the proper pricing. If you want to follow along please feel free to follow me on Instagram @excelreefer. I am pulling direct inspiration from Remi @bahamalamacoral on Instagram and YouTube. I plan on giving regular updates up to the frag swap including cost and profits (if this happens). I am excited and welcome any help from others. If you want to understand my logic and reasoning please read the below.

Current Pricing Methodology
I want to bring a variety for the beginner to the collector. Usually when I sell frags I take one of three approaches.
1. What did I pay?
2. What are others selling it for?
3. WWC*1/3= my price
This isn't meant to throw shade at anyone either. I don't have the brand recognition as WWC, the overhead, or the employees. I am doing this out of my apt and trying to buy new salt, frags, or fish. Currently saving up for a new tank.

Data Gathering
I usually use WWC because they are the most diverse of coral vendors. I created a spreadsheet of the coral I plan on selling and different vendors selling the corals. WWC is used because they have the most corals actively being sold IMO. Top Shelf Aquatics because I feel they are a close competitor of WWC. Tidal Gardens was selected because they are local, I really like them and to see how they would stack up. I also searched R2R for prices. Finally I plan on going to Cincinnati Frag Swap to see the prices there.
In order for the data to be selected a few things needed to be normalized.
Softies
1. Used the prices before sales
a. I know you could get cheaper with some of the sales, but I felt that before sales was best
2. I looked at the description for the dividend
a. If it said WYSIWYG then I counted the visible polyps, took the main price and divided it by the count.
b. If the description was written as 2-3 I took the larger of the numbers
c. If It stated "4 or more", "4+" or similar I simply added 1 making it 5. I felt as though this would encompass the average frag size.
3.R2R only: It had to have been sold in the past 3 months and used the most recent sold as the baseline.
a. If needed I extended the deadline, but still needed to be sold
b. It could not be in a pack
c. If I could only find one it was used, but if I had multiple they were weighted by A*.6 +B*.25+C*.15= price . Price being ABC based on date. I never needed more than that because it didn't make much of a difference.
d. This also showed the change in the market
4. Cincinnati show has yet to happen so nothing here yet
LPS and SPS (used above reasoning too)
1. I saved images of these on my phone for comparison to my frags for pricing.
2. I understand that hobbyists will likely have better deals than retailers but still useful data point
3. Some frags by R2R needed asterisks due to size or increased perceived value (i.e. fully encrusted)
MISC
1.Work in progress and difficult to find 1-1 comparisons of what I have for the vendors and R2R because no shipping cost associated with mine and subject to change day of or if I bring them.

Equipment
Frag Tank from BRS
AI Prime
Aquatop Return
Egg Crate
Bio Brick
New bulkhead and LocLine

Swap Pricing
I want to give fair pricing for local hobbyists as well as provide a variety regardless of your budget. In the images you will see some of what I am bringing as of now.
Softies are Per Polyp
SPS are by 1in frag
LPS are going to vary the most. I was trying to do Per Head, but not easy on blastos from just using photos.
Any and all help here would be appreciated.
Screenshot_20211208-120228_Office.jpg

Screenshot_20211208-120313_Office.jpg

Screenshot_20211208-120329_Office.jpg

Screenshot_20211208-120353_Office.jpg

Thank you all sorry for the long post.

Screenshot_20211208-120217_Office.jpg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some nice looking coral. Looks like you are putting a lot of thought into the prices! The only thing I would say is for most things I would put a whole lot more stock in pricing on R2R or online sites that have more reasonable prices than those you chose unless you are using their sale prices. Their standard list prices are ridiculously high and their prices during their huge live sales are much more reasonable, but in my experience even at 50-60% off are still above what you can find a lot of stuff for through other sellers. I guess my point is WWC*1/3 for example may still be way overpriced.

OP
OP
Tannermule

Tannermule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some nice looking coral. Looks like you are putting a lot of thought into the prices! The only thing I would say is for most things I would put a whole lot more stock in pricing on R2R or online sites that have more reasonable prices than those you chose unless you are using their sale prices. Their standard list prices are ridiculously high and their prices during their huge live sales are much more reasonable, but in my experience even at 50-60% off are still above what you can find a lot of stuff for through other sellers. I guess my point is WWC*1/3 for example may still be way overpriced.
I'm absolutely putting to much thought into this lol. I use the big vendors as a reference for normalizing prices compared to R2R. I should have mentioned that too. For example if the average price on R2R is 25% of WWC than I can take WWC price and estimate a good deal on R2R. I do this when I'm buying coral too.

I agree on the overpriced at times. While doing this before I actually found a few examples of R2R being more than TSA.

I plan on primarily using R2R as a reference, but I am also trying to find a fair price for not needing to ship, WYSIWYG, and I'm sure I'll do bulk deals. Example spend 100 pick one of the no name acros

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back