My first thoughts on Jebao MLW Wave Makers

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how it compares to the Nero 3?
Size of unit, strength of flow, variability of flow (ie: how does the min flow of the MLW 5 compare to Min flow of Nero 3 and same for Max flow).
Also, does Feed mode on the MLW switch the pump all the way off or does it just dial it down? (I use a Nero 3 in a Pico and Feed Mode is 1% flow, which is still way too powerful in a small tank.) It would be great to be able to have it power off for 10 mins at the press of a button, instead of requiring manual "Pump Off" then "Pump On".

Also, does anyone know if you can "group" different types of "M" series pumps in the App to be controlled together? Contemplating adding one of the MDP DC controllable pumps as a Return Pump in my 20 gal and I like the idea of being able to control the flow of both MDP and MLW pumps together at feeding time or night - especially being able to hook them both up to a single "Feed" button to wind them down or switch them off.
I like the idea of Apps for programming and configuring equip but I miss having a physical button for quick on/off/pause changes when working around the tank. I love that the Jebao has both.

The MLW-5 is the same size (diameter) as a Nero 3, but it's a bit thicker. I have some pictures comparing them side by side. I'll see if I can find them.

The max flow on the MLW is 792gph, the Nero 3 is 2000gph. So, the minimum flow rates (basically 30% of max) would be 238gph (MLW) and 600gph (Nero).

The Jebao pumps do turn completely off during feed mode.

As for the "wide flow" that everyone talks about with the Neros, I suggest you watch BRS' latest video where they compare a bunch of different wavemakers. The Nero is a lot more narrow than you'd think. It was actually only the middle of the pack in the group they tested.

1646144372675.png

Last edited:

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MLW-5 is the same size (diameter) as a Nero 3, but it's a bit thicker. I have some pictures comparing them side by side. I'll see if I can find them.

The max flow on the MLW is 792gph, the Nero 3 is 2000gph. So, the minimum flow rates (basically 30% of max) would be 238gph (MLW) and 600gph (Nero).

The Jebao pumps do turn completely off during feed mode.

As for the "wide flow" that everyone talks about with the Neros, I suggest you watch BRS' latest video where they compare a bunch of different wavemakers. The Nero is a lot more narrow than you'd think. It was actually only the middle of the pack in the group they tested.

1646144372675.png

Thanks for this. An interesting watch.
In the end though, the AI Nero (and the Jebao clones) win hands down for me. It's less about width of flow - in a small tank the flow gets broken up by rock and walls and bounces around everywhere anway. That's the joy of smaller tanks, I'm not chasing the biggest or most powerful anything (lights, pumps heaters etc) It's more about what fits best, works best and can be tuned to fit the space best.
What makes these pumps so awesome is the ultra-small profile. The Nero 3 sits on the back wall of my 4 gal and is almost invisible against the glass, barely protrudes into the tank and looks sleek and subtle. In a 20 gal they just blend in completely and I forget they are even there. The only pump in that review with a similar profile is the Ecotech and they can't be mounted on the back wall of an AIO because they aren't waterproof. and frankly the dry side on the side of a tank looks terrible. I'd rather have the pump and wires in the water!
I ordered 2 of the smaller Jebao pumps off Aliexpress (with included "false rock surrounds") and will probably mount them on either side of the 20 gal and see if I can get a bit of wave action going. Don't expect them to arrive for weeks yet (yay for global shipping crisis) but I may even find they work better than a single Nero 3 mine goes in the spares drawer.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
American companies are pricing themselves out of the market. As corporate profits continually increase, product prices necessarily climb. In the mean time American workers earn less real wages because the CPI climbs faster than wages do, which means that folks look for cheaper options. Not only that, but the Chinese stuff is pretty dang high quality these days - apart from the apps sometimes. I have had 2 of the excellent SLW-10s for over 2 years now. They are DEAD silent, they push a ton of water, super easy to clean, ceramic impeller shafts, and (at least IMO) the controllers are easy to use. They were less than 60 bucks each.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem with the MLW is that the feed button (on the controller) doesn't work anymore when in program mode.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
American companies are pricing themselves out of the market. As corporate profits continually increase, product prices necessarily climb. In the mean time American workers earn less real wages because the CPI climbs faster than wages do, which means that folks look for cheaper options. Not only that, but the Chinese stuff is pretty dang high quality these days - apart from the apps sometimes. I have had 2 of the excellent SLW-10s for over 2 years now. They are DEAD silent, they push a ton of water, super easy to clean, ceramic impeller shafts, and (at least IMO) the controllers are easy to use. They were less than 60 bucks each.
In most cases we customers are just cutting off the middleman and going directly to the supplier anyway.

Last edited:

Mystery Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, ask AI if they appreciate their Nero being copied and their IP being stolen to make this pump. Then, ask them if this help them as a legit American business keep people employed at their company and/or helps with future innovation. I am 100% anti Jeabo and freely admit it since I am 100% against IP theft by Chinese companies (not to be confused with legit Chinese companies that abide by IP laws, of which there are plenty). I don't care if people are going to use their stuff since they are going to do what they are going to do, but I just like people know what it is that they are supporting.
From what I understand both AI and Jebao are licensed to use that particular design by the third party that invented it. Not that they are perfect but I believe in this case it’s not an IP violation.

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents worth, I’m an IOS guy and can’t get my MLW connected and can’t find any instructions on how to do it. But having said that I’ve had one running in my nano tank for 4 months without incident. I managed to program it with something useful to me using the controller not what I’d call intuitive but I got it to work. Incidentally I went to the Jebao because I like the low profile of the pump. I have two Nero 3’s sitting in the junk box because they just quit running.
I have another MLW on order for use in another tank.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao keeps this hobby alive! Great products and better than the more expensive guys!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents worth, I’m an IOS guy and can’t get my MLW connected and can’t find any instructions on how to do it. But having said that I’ve had one running in my nano tank for 4 months without incident. I managed to program it with something useful to me using the controller not what I’d call intuitive but I got it to work. Incidentally I went to the Jebao because I like the low profile of the pump. I have two Nero 3’s sitting in the junk box because they just quit running.

I dont know if it's osi or not, but they run on 2.4g. With my android I had a hard time at first to get it to function.

The app didn't want to communicate with the device, mostly had issues getting it to find it. Once I got them to communicate though it worked perfectly.

Part of my issue could be caused by the fact my fishroom is in the garage instead of in the house. It's a. Insulated room inside the garage.

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I couldn’t get mine to connect to my WiFi network. They’re quite picky about settings and use pretty old connection standards. I’m the end, the controllers pretty good though and I have my two setting up a nice wave effect I’m the tank.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I set one up, I had issues with the wifi. I ended up doing it manually, and they've been running for a year without issue.

I just tried again with a new pump yesterday. I had it connected to the wifi in about 2 minutes. I don't know if they changed something or if I decoded the secret, but it went without a hitch.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that good? I can't tell through text, I want to say that's not good but maybe it is....are you for or against jebao?
My opinion is the same lifespan is what the mp40 and 60s are giving. Only differences is the mp40 and 60 can be sent in and rebuild for a cost, were as the jebao ones are so much cheaper its easier to replace with new ones. Figure those 6 jebao powerheads are the same overall cost of a single mp40...

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is the same lifespan is what the mp40 and 60s are giving. Only differences is the mp40 and 60 can be sent in and rebuild for a cost, were as the jebao ones are so much cheaper its easier to replace with new ones. Figure those 6 jebao powerheads are the same overall cost of a single mp40...
I'm thinking about getting a few for my sump I use nero3's in my other sumps but I have heard these talked about enough I figured I might try them out in this sump.

You make a valid point :) $$$!!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back