OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea, never seen someone do this before. Also how does your Auriga butterfly get on with the sps and other corals you’ve got? It’s one of my dream fish but I’ve never pulled the trigger on one, I always thought it would destroy my corals.
When you manage to keep SPS healthy and growing there is nothing to worry about.
I would not trust them (yet) with lobos, blastos, acans, zoanthids. Who knows i will experiment with it later on, when i have some for spare.

It is a great pest remover aptasia, majano, t-asters are getting cleaned out thoroughly.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, that is some build and an half, you have obviously planned this well, in this hobby you have to have patience which looks like you have plenty off, can’t wait for the final results. Good luck
Since 2012, but i only worked on it on moment of inspiration.
It's a hobby, so it should be fun...

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once that’s finished, do you ever plan on leaving your living room again? That is the most ambitious project I could imagine for one person, I am beyond impressed!!

My living is my fish, hobby and do it all space.
My mancave
It has been in the pipeline quite a while, now i must finish it.

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Glenn amazing progress for this next ambitious project, i'll have to drop in one day.

What do you plan for lights ? and i assume this will all be DSR ?

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are more clever than we think but do they find / know the way "back"? Do all species in your system use the pipe?

yeah, I was also curious about this myself. How long did it take for them to figure it out? Do all of them use it?

79chopperdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a neat concept for a system! Also cool to see the different styles and materials used and available in other countries. Good luck!

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make sure my floor could handle the load , i asked my constructor of another building project to look at my plans. Due to other works he had laying around, it took him 3 week to do the math. He also consulted a colleague constructor about the matter and they came up with the following advice.

Tank3 was a problem.
I wanted it 300x120x55wh
That was critical.....
so the tank was downsized to 200x120x40wh

00cb46583588f1c6bacf2156256b3843.jpg
724b78ba4f160548182d0be44d4c8e1d.jpg

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch this movie of my 2 connected butterfly tanks:

I still can't get over this. This is so cool.

For instance, The Tang Police say that you shouldn't keep most tangs in a tank of less than 2m/6ft length. Fine, but there are very few non-custom tanks that are that big, and none that are bigger. This could give you lots of room for a tang. For instance, here in the US you can get 125 gallon (~475L, dimensions 72x18 wide x22 inches high, or about 182x46x56cm) aquaria with a stand for $500. You could pay several US$1000s for a single custom 2.5m tank, or you can just get two of these 125g tanks and have 4m for $1000 and just connect them with PVC (probably the widest PVC you could find)

Operationally, how does this work? I take it that the return pump goes into one tank, and the drain to the sump in the second one? That is, the flow cycle goes between the tanks?

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Glenn amazing progress for this next ambitious project, i'll have to drop in one day.

What do you plan for lights ? and i assume this will all be DSR ?
Yep... it has been my dream project for near a decade now. I would like to finish it in this decade.
When i'm finished building this you are welcome to join my mancave.

I was all for T5 before , because it's idiot proof. When you do experiment like i do you want a steady baseline. T5 is just that...
After experimenting a while with leds, i decide to go 50/50 T5/led, or even 20/80 in favour of leds.
Now i have a steady baseline with the products i use i can start experimenting with other variables... being lighting....

Yes, all my system are running on my own system. Some are running on new to develop systems to be introduced into the near future.

Like this one:

20191116_115449.jpg

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are more clever than we think but do they find / know the way "back"? Do all species in your system use the pipe?
Like people fish have many characters and level of developement.
Butterfly are the most intelligent and exploring ones and find their way faster. They also recognise en remember things much better. So they use more often. It even becomes a habit to go back and forth between tanks
Like most intelligent being they are the most succeptable for stress due to changes in their living environment.

"Most" tangs are "not that bright" and just eat and swim around open space while challenging eachother.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a neat concept for a system! Also cool to see the different styles and materials used and available in other countries. Good luck!
Thanks,
I think the style is not regional but personal.
One thing is for sure, i like a small footprint for technics. This must fit under the tank and never exceed the size of the display itselves.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterflies about 5 minutes
Tangs may take weeks or never...
Shrimps by night whe the go exploring

Aaagh so much for my "get more space for muh tangs" idea. :D

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Operationally, how does this work? I take it that the return pump goes into one tank, and the drain to the sump in the second one? That is, the flow cycle goes between the tanks?
Obv let @glennf correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think this would be safe. If the negative pressure was disturbed in the tunnel the tank with the return would overflow, could be catastrophic.

I think each side needs a separate return and overflow. Then the tunnel has some sort of Venturi or small pump or roller pump continuously drawing off it at a low rate to maintain the negative pressure in the tunnel (like take out air bubbles that would accumulate for instance).

Is that how this is done?

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The project got halted and i completely forgot about this topic.

The build restarted in here:

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all the system i have running now.
The total consumption of all tanks during daytime (15:30h) is about 4700watt
Average light period= 13hours
(2300+1050+1080+120+120)
The total water volume is ~ 6100 liters
I estimate all the tanks uses ~65KWh per day.

bfab6844182a4776e5b31af65bc1c0b4.jpg
66a35ff6e4fe3c41a2e3385c002973d5.jpg
074c754268f7fa3325153671fc8592a4.jpg

Back