My Ritteri Anemone Thread

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
He definitely seems to be doing good one thing that I find to be the most crucial part is the shipping! If it’s done right the magnifica almost 100% of the time does not need treatment this means: no air in the bag and using newly made saltwater to pack the anemone, not tank water. This is a sure way of shipping that has worked very well for me and quite a few other people. We even have some of the distributors overseas doing it to. So before ordering a magnifica or gigantea always ask they’re packing method and if doesn’t closely match that procedure see if you’re able to request they pack it in that certain way. Education is key with animals like this and no information on this should ever be kept a secret :)

OP
OP
L

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely seems to be doing good one thing that I find to be the most crucial part is the shipping! If it’s done right the magnifica almost 100% of the time does not need treatment this means: no air in the bag and using newly made saltwater to pack the anemone, not tank water. This is a sure way of shipping that has worked very well for me and quite a few other people. We even have some of the distributors overseas doing it to. So before ordering a magnifica or gigantea always ask they’re packing method and if doesn’t closely match that procedure see if you’re able to request they pack it in that certain way. Education is key with animals like this and no information on this should ever be kept a secret :)
Do you find the water discolours every time like mine did? And if not, is this an indication of a bad process?

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Also larger ritteri do better with more water in the bag then less it also has to really do with the quality of the water the Nem is shipped in. if they used water from their system tones of microbes can die in the shipping process and cause a lot of that excess ammonia in the water just my thought but when an anemone comes looking like how yours did I do the same process you do and use a flush acclimation the quick change in water parameters usually causes the Nem to go through a deflation cycle and this helps clean them out!

OP
OP
L

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water in the tank discolored?
No in the bag on arrival. My turned up like this, with very high ammonia and nitrates. I just wondered if this was usual for when you receive them? I’ve heard people have this often with anemones but wondered if this was a case of using tank water rather than fresh.

74DE9948-7A31-41C8-9F9C-3EED777470DA.jpeg

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
No in the bag on arrival. My turned up like this, with very high ammonia and nitrates. I just wondered if this was usual for when you receive them? I’ve heard people have this often with anemones but wondered if this was a case of using tank water rather than fresh.

there could be so many things that cause this it’s why I like to use that fresh water method because so far it works really well it’s hard to know how they shipped your Nem:( that’s why I usually don’t order my anemones online and I just go for the direct approach now and get them all from overseas

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
There’s also the factor of when the anemone was bagged after it was detached from the surface it was on. Magnificas slime up like crazy when disturbed and if they’re bagged right away all that slime gets produced in the bag and can cause that soiling of the water too.

OP
OP
L

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there could be so many things that cause this it’s why I like to use that fresh water method because so far it works really well it’s hard to know how they shipped your Nem:( that’s why I usually don’t order my anemones online and I just go for the direct approach now and get them all from overseas
How did you arrange that? I wouldn’t know where to start!

Also here’s a time lapse of him eating today following capture of some mysis. It wasn’t as great as I thought it would be but here it is anyway...

Attachments

• IMG_0479.MOV
    38.9 MB

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
How did you arrange that? I wouldn’t know where to start!

Also here’s a time lapse of him eating today following capture of some mysis. It wasn’t as great as I thought it would be but here it is anyway...
I could not get the video to load :( and importing is a nightmare sometimes:,)

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS this has been the hardest anemone to care for and not alter tank conditions because 1) awareness of their difficultly means every little change makes you panic 2) when they deflate they truly look like death - I have had to practice immense restraint to not mess around.

I’d also note (Although previously mentioned) that in my experience - change of light parameters has caused significant deflation so if you are seeing this response, consider lowering your light and seeing how it responds. Although these anemones love light, I question how much they get post collection until they hit our tanks. Imagine being in a dark cupboard with no light for weeks and then someone shoves you into full sun. Interestingly we see a similar but different response often with BTA’s and hiding.

Also as this has been a boringly long response, here’s a photo of the beast this morning :) the clowns are very annoying with it now and keep photo bombing

5802EA5D-A8B1-4BE3-9751-E11CA7593983.jpeg
LOL....i know the feeling. Been on a very similar journey...thank you for articulating your feelings so well.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS this has been the hardest anemone to care for and not alter tank conditions because 1) awareness of their difficultly means every little change makes you panic 2) when they deflate they truly look like death - I have had to practice immense restraint to not mess around.

I’d also note (Although previously mentioned) that in my experience - change of light parameters has caused significant deflation so if you are seeing this response, consider lowering your light and seeing how it responds. Although these anemones love light, I question how much they get post collection until they hit our tanks. Imagine being in a dark cupboard with no light for weeks and then someone shoves you into full sun. Interestingly we see a similar but different response often with BTA’s and hiding.

Also as this has been a boringly long response, here’s a photo of the beast this morning :) the clowns are very annoying with it now and keep photo bombing

5802EA5D-A8B1-4BE3-9751-E11CA7593983.jpeg
I noticed when I get a bleached Ritteri it has a slower acclimation to the strong light. The two magnificas I got that are fully colored love the light (100% setting). I threw both of them in, no light acclimation and they loved it.

I speculate this has to do with how much zooxanthellae they have.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I received mine in a similar fashion.

1596832988478.png

OP
OP
L

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so we had movement this week, six inches walk to the right and then six inches walk to the left, returning to his spot after each walk. (Wanderer right for a day, wandered back, stayed for a day, wandered left stayed for a day, wandered back). He does make me laugh. Annoyingly he stung some frags in his journey. He is really sticky now and has caught my hand a few times in a very aggressive way!

I also fed him which he seemed to enjoy (raw prawn) - see picture!

3CF1B417-EEEB-4544-BEA5-706C3572EE01.jpeg 18C9A1C7-E94B-4BCF-B138-EE48CD8ED8BC.jpeg

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so we had movement this week, six inches walk to the right and then six inches walk to the left, returning to his spot after each walk. (Wanderer right for a day, wandered back, stayed for a day, wandered left stayed for a day, wandered back). He does make me laugh. Annoyingly he stung some frags in his journey. He is really sticky now and has caught my hand a few times in a very aggressive way!

I also fed him which he seemed to enjoy (raw prawn) - see picture!

3CF1B417-EEEB-4544-BEA5-706C3572EE01.jpeg 18C9A1C7-E94B-4BCF-B138-EE48CD8ED8BC.jpeg
very nice!

OP
OP
L

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Thought I’d provide an update, the Ritteri had a wander about 8 inches to the left. Right in front of my MaxSpect. His appearance has remained stable since the last update, although he did manage to cut his foot and base which I noticed - not sure how (powerhead Etc are covered). He seems ok though. This was a week or so back. He has def coloured up nicely and it now a pink beige (purple in some lights). Some pictures for the update.

FA2EA3BD-F5CE-4C03-B8DB-74A83169441D.jpeg 979241B9-E090-4B14-A804-FCDB3FD8D784.jpeg ADC60F97-A083-4022-A4BC-5CD9A2E946A8.png DE0B8D54-921B-4259-A6ED-DB5F8BAD18AE.jpeg A601552B-0E89-4C7B-AC10-7AE8C2402986.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.. just a quick nem update. He’s doing well still. Little wandering about 6 inches but he’s stayed put for a few weeks now.

40321CC3-274C-4F8E-844B-96003175734D.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back