My second BioCube

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into this hobby a few years ago with a BioCube 32 and fell in love. My tank had to be broken down after a few months, but my love for the hobby never faded. Fast forward a few years and I'm ready to get back into the hobby. I knew I wanted another AIO and wasn't committed to another BioCube until I saw one posted locally that hadn't sold in quite some time. It came with Steve's LED upgrade and the WiFi controller, so I was sold.

I picked the tank up this week and went to work right away on my reefscaping. I'm excited about how it's turned out but unsure if I'll be going any higher with the rockscape. The rockscape was built in the tank. I have two larger caves and some arches. My original plan was to go reef only, mainly SPS, but I'd like to add livestock at some point so I wanted to include a few hiding spots.

Equipment plan is heater, Mean Green Machine and protein skimmer in chamber 1, inTank basket in chamber 2 (possible fuge basket in chamber 2 at later date) and return pump in chamber 3.

Livestock plan is still up in the air, but I'd like to eventually have a Royal Gramma, Clownfish pair, and a Green Clown Goby.

CF903C8F-4002-4B09-B5A3-54C376151335.jpeg F5D57FDD-F3A3-4A5E-830C-B41D52542409.jpeg C615F002-C797-4ECF-A9DC-52423014B0C3.jpeg 17FAAE67-9ED4-4820-99E6-247EABCA4245.jpeg

OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt has been ordered. I live in the city of Chicago and I don't really have a good LFS. Seems like the recommended shops are far away from me or have hours that conflict with my work schedule. That had a major impact on my decision which was to start with Red Sea Coral Pro.

My RODI unit should arrive tomorrow as well so I'm excited to finally start making water, mixing salt and getting this tank up and cycling.

I installed a 9w Green Killing Machine in Chamber 1 and it looks like I'll have enough room for the heater I bought plus the Coralife Protein Skimmer.

Here's my updated equipment plan, with media being subject to change:

Chamber 1:
FREESEA 100W Mini Aquarium Fish Tank Heater
9w Green Killing Machine
Coralife Protein Skimmer

Chamber 2:
InTank Media Basket
[Filter Floss -> Chemi-pure Elite -> Purigen ->BioBalls?]

Chamber 3:

Return pump

I'd like to upgrade the return pump to get different flow. Was looking at the SICCE Syncra Silent 1.5 but the price of the Rio Plus 1400 is hard to beat. Also considering a MaxiJet 1200.

The guy I got the tank from was using the BioBalls that came with the tank, but I removed them.

Wave Pumps:
Current-USA eFLUX Wave Pump Bundle 660 GPH Model 6013

Last edited:
OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone is wondering, chamber, one will fit the new version of the CoraLife Protein Skimmer and the 9w Green Killing Machine. Here's a photo of chamber 1 with the skimmer cap removed so you can see better. I'd assume that there's still enough room for a tube heater. I plan on using a small, flat heater I picked up off Amazon in this chamber as well.
55389F8A-DFEF-402E-91C3-AEAD165239C6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockwork has been finished and water and supplements were added last night. Here’s a before and after photo showing the tank clearing over the course of 6 hours. As it cycles I’m using only a stock filter to help clear the water and will add some filter floss later tonight.

Attachments

• B9C0FFBC-78A3-4482-9F3A-796528D20ECA.jpeg
    B9C0FFBC-78A3-4482-9F3A-796528D20ECA.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 46
  • B50A3AA1-71A5-4CAB-995F-537AB9F54418.jpeg
    B50A3AA1-71A5-4CAB-995F-537AB9F54418.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 49

Samz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way you did the rocks. We have been talking about getting a biocube for our next tank as our little 24 has been somewhat hijacked by bta's. I'm looking forward to watching yours develop.

OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way you did the rocks. We have been talking about getting a biocube for our next tank as our little 24 has been somewhat hijacked by bta's. I'm looking forward to watching yours develop.
Thanks so much! I put a lot of thought into how I wanted to build the formation. Took fish and possible coral selections into consideration. I started a few years back with a BioCube 32 and now I have the 29. Nice tanks that seem to always come up for sale. Very upgradable and flexible IMO. Good luck and if you need any pointers I can share my BioCube mistakes with ya hahah.

OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed my ATO tonight and I gotta admit, I got pretty excited hearing it go off for the first time. I didn't run one in my last tank so I wanted to be sure it was one of the first things I got up in running in this build. I bought a MagTool ATO from Amazon. No problems so far, and a very quiet little pump.

Speaking of pumps, I'm not getting enough flow with the stock pump so I added a JEREPET 800GPH pump to my Amazon wish list. I want something controllable so that I can balance the flow with the wave pumps I'll be running. I'll keep the stock pump for water changes.

Made some gear acquisitions after deciding to run a fuge in chamber 2 of the tank. I'm going to Velcro an Acke 12w grow light to the back of chamber 2 as the fuge light. In the second chamber I'll be using an InTank media basket with filter floss, Fluval activated charcoal pads, and Matrix. I think I'll let the tank tell me if I need to add something like Purigen or Chemi-Pure. Next to the media basket will be the InTank Fuge Basket.

I'm nervous about the setup as the CoraLife protein skimmer clips onto the wall separating chambers 1 and 2, and that's where the InTank water director needs to go. Might have to get creative with how things are placed in chamber 1.

Last edited:

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help. I’m building a JBJ nano 28. I’m replacing the pumps and returns. I can’t figure out what the fitting is going thru the back into main tank from filter side. The nozzles just press on a thru pipe. And I can’t connect my 1/2 return tubes. JBJ wants 10.00 plus shipping for each piece. That’s 60 plus dollars. For 2 tubes , 2 elbows, 2 spacers. And the PVC quality is garbage. I want to use good PVC pipe to replace my returns and I just refuse to pay JBJ that much money for something in reality should not even cost $20. I don’t know how to fix it other than drilling, two more holes through that piece of plastic and using a bulkhead gasket, any advice is appreciated

OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help. I’m building a JBJ nano 28. I’m replacing the pumps and returns. I can’t figure out what the fitting is going thru the back into main tank from filter side. The nozzles just press on a thru pipe. And I can’t connect my 1/2 return tubes. JBJ wants 10.00 plus shipping for each piece. That’s 60 plus dollars. For 2 tubes , 2 elbows, 2 spacers. And the PVC quality is garbage. I want to use good PVC pipe to replace my returns and I just refuse to pay JBJ that much money for something in reality should not even cost $20. I don’t know how to fix it other than drilling, two more holes through that piece of plastic and using a bulkhead gasket, any advice is appreciated
Why are you upgrading the pumps?

OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones in it barely flow. They are shot.
If it was my tank, and I was having issues with the fittings, I'd simply replace the pump with a stock replacement pump. I'm of the mindset that flow should come from powerheads/wavemakers and not the return pump.

OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp in my tank has been slowly rising so I pulled the heater from chamber 1. Seems like the majority of the heat being created is from the LED upgrade. I dropped the temp probe into the tank and didn't get any cooler readings. The tank is holding steady at 83.3 degrees F. I opened the front and back closures to try to increase air circulation and will monitor the temps. I also opened the living room window to get some cooler air in the apartment, so hopefully that will help.

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was my tank, and I was having issues with the fittings, I'd simply replace the pump with a stock replacement pump. I'm of the mindset that flow should come from powerheads/wavemakers and not the return pump.
Agreed just didn’t want to pay ridiculous prices for stupid plumbing that’s pennnies in. The dollar.

OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Performed my first water test today and it looks like the tank is cycling nicely. I'm also still battling a rising temperature in the tank. I'm running everything but the heater to see if I can pinpoint a specific heat source and I'm finding that I think it just comes down to the hood keeping the warmer air trapped. I ordered 2 mini USB fans that I'm going to attach to the open holes in the back of the hood to see if that can't help keep things a bit cooler. Tank was maxing out at 84 degrees so I'm hoping some extra airflow will help. Also installed my wave pumps last night. Almost ready for livestock!

2F0CBBF2-083C-4F9B-B9B5-4C8F44040BFE.jpeg C740938A-0978-4310-A5E4-BD74F5C83DAE.jpeg

OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waging a war to get this tank's temp lowered.

I emptied half the tank and moved it to an interior wall and away from a window in case ambient temps were affecting the water temp. I also installed our apartment's window AC unit yesterday and ran that while running no lights. My water temps still fluctuated around 83 degrees. Currently,at 6:30am I'm at 83.7 degrees, which is where I've been topping out at) and the lights and fuge light have been off all night.

I'm frustrated.

I found some articles here on R2R that mention installing small USB fans in the back of the hood to promote more airflow. I ordered them from Amazon and set them up this morning to see if they have any positive impact. 20 minutes in and still 83.5/83.7 steady.

61EA6124-5D6D-453B-AA8F-600C959D0E9B.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back