My SPS & Clam Tank

It’s only been a day?
It’s been 2.5 days. Maybe it’s normal, but I’ve never seen this behavior in my life. I’ve never had a fish hide like this in my display.

My Naso in the past was like this the first couple of days until he adjusted to the tank.
I hope mine will be the same. This naso is super cute: like a puppy dog. 😉

I believe symptoms take a month or two to show up. The major symptom being hiding and lethargy
@Dr. Reef usually sends out the fish after a month. I placed the order on June 16th, but the fish was ready to be shipped on the 19th, which is EXTREMELY quick. He must have had the fish in stock prior, but long did he have it for exactly? I don’t know.
 
I know you probably know this but its been going on for over a year(that I have been watching it) with Nasos having these issues. No one knows for sure but a lot believe cyanide. I know others have stated this as well. I hope he pulls through whatever funk its in, but this sounds exactly like the other cases I have read. Seems to be the "blonde" Nasos that are the most frequent affected. Possibly all caught in the same manor by the same people. Typically people who get them straight from lfs or other who dont QT they do well for a month or so and start to suddenly decline. Yours having been from someone who QTs before selling may have been doing fine and you get it on the downward. I am not indicating it was purposeful or with intent just how it happened to happen. I think @Jay Hemdal even said it would probably be best to not get a blonde currently.
 
Last edited:
The naso was out swimming more. He took a few bites of nori. However, he’s still pretty sensitive and easily spooks. I think and hope he’ll be okay long term. I will be very happy once he shows the light gray coloration.
 
@Reefer1978 sent me 2 large bottles of phyto that’s homegrown from his place. He didn’t charge me despite me insisting.

The packaging was excellent. We used my label, and FedEx delayed the package by a day….grr..

Despite this, the phyto was still live under the scope. The consistency felt like something I’d harvest from the ocean. It’s much different than the thick, preserved phytos I’ve been using. The corals had a very quick response to it, too.

Thanks @Reefer1978 ! You better let me pay for my future orders. 👍

I got 2 of these:

image.jpg
 
I know you probably know this but its been going on for over a year(that I have been watching it) with Nasos having these issues. No one knows for sure but a lot believe cyanide. I know others have stated this as well. I hope he pulls through whatever funk its in, but this sounds exactly like the other cases I have read. Seems to be the "blonde" Nasos that are the most frequent affected. Possibly all caught in the same manor by the same people. Typically people who get them straight from lfs or other who dont QT they do well for a month or so and start to suddenly decline. Yours having been from someone who QTs before selling may have been doing fine and you get it on the downward. I am not indicating it was purposeful or with intent just how it happened to happen. I think @Jay Hemdal even said it would probably be best to not get a blonde currently.
I don’t have the ability to quantify the data in blonde Nasos with issues, but anecdotally, there sure is a high proportion dying soon after arrival. I don’t think it is cyanide, as this is one fish that is easier to catch in barrier nets.
 
I think the naso is doing better. It’s improved a lot today. I think I now see a slightly lighter gray color. It’s a bit more active, but not 100% good yet just let. He loves hiding behind the arch. I’ll get some pictures tonight.

It should do well with me. I just need to give it lots of love, time, and nori.
 
@Reefer1978 sent me 2 large bottles of phyto that’s homegrown from his place. He didn’t charge me despite me insisting.

The packaging was excellent. We used my label, and FedEx delayed the package by a day….grr..

Despite this, the phyto was still live under the scope. The consistency felt like something I’d harvest from the ocean. It’s much different than the thick, preserved phytos I’ve been using. The corals had a very quick response to it, too.

Thanks @Reefer1978 ! You better let me pay for my future orders. 👍

I got 2 of these:

image.jpg
You got any microscope pics that folks could I.D.? I ain't gonna lie but this is worrysome to me, the culture could be anything. Perhaps I'm just a worry wart, lol.
 
You got any microscope pics that folks could I.D.? I ain't gonna lie but this is worrysome to me, the culture could be anything. Perhaps I'm just a worry wart, lol.
He said it’s a mix of nanno, iso and tetra. I can share it if @Reefer1978 wants me to.
 
He said it’s a mix of nanno, iso and tetra. I can share it if @Reefer1978 wants me to.
Great. I grew nanno way back but got concerned about the causes of culture crash. Bacteria, virus, stupidity, whatever.
 
Oddly, this viral route appears to gel quite nicely with the apparent reduction of algae noted both with dosing phyto and algae scrubbing, especially when nutrient depletion is not obvious. I hate algae, lol.
 
Today was not an easy day for me, but at least I have my tank. 🙂

Here’s the Naso. Looking better.

IMG_1870.jpeg
 
@Reefer1978 sent me 2 large bottles of phyto that’s homegrown from his place. He didn’t charge me despite me insisting.

The packaging was excellent. We used my label, and FedEx delayed the package by a day….grr..

Despite this, the phyto was still live under the scope. The consistency felt like something I’d harvest from the ocean. It’s much different than the thick, preserved phytos I’ve been using. The corals had a very quick response to it, too.

Thanks @Reefer1978 ! You better let me pay for my future orders. 👍

I got 2 of these:

image.jpg
Awesome I am glad it came in well. It does not look that dark guys, camera adds 10 darkness points.
He said it’s a mix of nanno, iso and tetra. I can share it if @Reefer1978 wants me to.
Yes these are the 3 that I am growing. I am trying to grow others also, but it’s a struggle for me. So far just these 3 + pods.

@Miami Reef please feel free to post pics. I do scope mine, but haven’t done it in about 6 weeks.

I am also happy to report I fully defeated Dino’s with this mix. And my readings from today are: p at 0.05, n at 2.9. So far, fingers crossed, Dino’s have not returned.
 
Sometimes the tank is that constant that we need.
Yes. Agreed.

Just ran a couple of tests now.

Alkalinity: 12 dKH
Phosphate: 0.10 ppm

I really don’t care about the others as much. They stay pretty constant. These are the guys I focus on.
 
Yes. Agreed.

Just ran a couple of tests now.

Alkalinity: 12 dKH
Phosphate: 0.10 ppm

I really don’t care about the others as much. They stay pretty constant. These are the guys I focus on.
Didn’t know you run such high Alk? What salt are you using?
 
Ocean water.

I call a company, and they deliver a truckload of it. I’m able to change out all 260 gallons of my tank + more if I wanted to.

I usually do 2-3 big changes a year.

I also extensively used IO Purple. I’ve been occasionally changing about 15% twice a month just for the hell of it.

My tank currently has a mix of both.

The alk is there because of me. Everything I do is calculated and intentional. 😉
 
Ocean water.

I call a company, and they deliver a truckload of it. I’m able to change out all 260 gallons of my tank + more if I wanted to.

I usually do 2-3 big changes a year.

I also extensively used IO Purple. I’ve been occasionally changing about 15% twice a month just for the hell of it.

My tank currently has a mix of both.

The alk is there because of me. Everything I do is calculated and intentional. 😉
Well darn…i use tropic marine pro with 7-8dkh. You feel higher dkh is beneficial? I’ve always tried to replicate natural ocean. But your tank 🔥👍
 
Don’t mind what you do we love you here 🍻. You and Randy are a blessing to the hobby! Let’s keep it going. Jealous of your FL, Miami roots though. Been trying to get the wife to move to the keys and do a dive shop/fishing charters you name it. I was blessed with friends that jumped the gun and moved from KS to start a dive shop down in Big Pine key. BP oil spill ruined them 🙁
 
Last edited by a moderator:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new