My SPS & Clam Tank

Thanks for the fish suggestions!

I have some new photos. It’s been several months since I’ve shown my brain coral collection.

One got blown into my acanthastrea, which is why it’s been on the right side of the tank.
I had a few fish pick on the other that didn’t make it. This was several months ago.


I have LED now. Did I update this thread with LED pics?

Also, have you noticed my orange shoulder tang finally transitioned?


IMG_1345.jpeg
IMG_1346.jpeg
IMG_1348.jpeg
IMG_1349.jpeg

Looking great!

Your goniopora up on rocks, do you glue them down?
 
Petco has a 50% sale on all fish you may want to check them out. They ship directly from Quality Marine, I QT all my fish and only had issues with Anthias. 3 of 4 came in positive for Uronema. I plan on trying again with anthias if they come back on stock.
 
Looking great!

Your goniopora up on rocks, do you glue them down?

Yes, everything on the rocks was initially glued down, except for the clams. The Goniopora encrust the rocks once they’re happy and established.
 
3 of 4 came in positive for Uronema.
I had a 100% uronema failure rate with the lyretails I got from my LFS this year.

I’m going to try Dr. Reef because he gets them from a clean source.
 
Pincushion urchins were the worst; they would knock down so many acros.

The glue and epoxy can only hold so well until the coral encrusts.
Rocks are worse. At least you can remove pin cushions
 
A look into a clam fanatic’s tank:

IMG_1447.jpeg
IMG_1450.jpeg
IMG_1453.jpeg
IMG_1456.jpeg
IMG_1458.jpeg
IMG_1459.jpeg




Even using corals as clam cradles. 😆

IMG_1460.jpeg
 
New fish will trickle in these next few weeks from Dr. Reef.

They will come in three separate lots.

Lot # 3 is coming first…
 
New fish will trickle in these next few weeks from Dr. Reef.

They will come in three separate lots.

Lot # 3 is coming first…
Anthias? Which kind did you go with if so? He only has dispar and lyretail from good sources. Tried more ignitus and 1 of 4 made it past 48 hours. Hope you have better luck. I’m going to try 3 dispars on the next order with a biota flame angle. Hopefully he’s not a nipper 😕
 
Anthias? Which kind did you go with if so? He only has dispar and lyretail from good sources. Tried more ignitus and 1 of 4 made it past 48 hours. Hope you have better luck. I’m going to try 3 dispars on the next order with a biota flame angle. Hopefully he’s not a nipper 😕
My all-time favorite anthias is the lyretail. I love their bright orange color, their body shape, and just how “reef-y” they look. They’re the kind of fish that instantly make a tank feel like a slice of the ocean.

I’ve been inspired by this video; it’s been my muse for years.

Time to share it with you guys:

 
My all-time favorite anthias is the lyretail. I love their bright orange color, their body shape, and just how “reef-y” they look. They’re the kind of fish that instantly make a tank feel like a slice of the ocean.

I’ve been inspired by this video; it’s been my muse for years.

Time to share it with you guys:


100% agree! Anthias make a tank feel like a real reef. So much movement! Current favorite fish. I would love lyretails but my tanks to small 🙁 So I’ll stick to ignitus and dispars. Im excited for you though. You’ll have to let us know when they arrive and how they’re doing. After last order I was almost turned off of Anthias. If they’re truly that difficult to acclimate/QT some fish are better left in the oceans. But willing to try out there dispars source which they claim is very good.
 
I had a group of lyretails for 1.5 years. I think I got lazy with the extra feedings which resulted in most dying…I have 1 left from the initial batch 3 years ago.

I’m prepared this time with my auto feeder.
 
I had a group of lyretails for 1.5 years. I think I got lazy with the extra feedings which resulted in most dying…I have 1 left from the initial batch 3 years ago.

I’m prepared this time with my auto feeder.
Reef nutrition fish eggs as well. Mine devour it.
 
Update on My Tang Decision: A Slight Reconsideration

I know I previously said I wasn’t planning to add more tangs, and at the time, I genuinely thought I was done. But after reevaluating a few things, I’ve decided they’re not entirely off the table.

I recently added an auto feeder, which has helped a lot with consistent feeding. Previously, my fish were only getting food once or twice in the evening. I think that low feeding schedule may have contributed to most of the unwanted picking behavior.

I’ve also taken a closer look at what was actually happening with the tangs and my brain corals. Specifically, the yellow tang I had was likely picking at algae that had grown over exposed skeleton from previous injuries. The coral was already compromised (from other fish), and the tang just made a bad situation worse by irritating it further.

Unfortunately, that acantho didn’t make it despite months of trying, so that specific risk is no longer present. Going forward, I’m only considering tang species I’ve carefully thought about or had good firsthand experience with, including giving another yellow tang a try, since the issue may not have been its fault to begin with.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new