N-Doc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first N-Doc results yesterday. Wondered the same thing and found this.

I also learned that you need to keep the language set as German on their website and let the browser translate. The English page doesn’t load correctly, so no text telling what, how to add PO4 measure.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the results. I have falling nutrients the last month so I dosed Brightwell’s Neonitro a few times in the week before test to get nitrate to 1-1.5ppm range. I don’t know if that explains the TNb.
5A3370CA-BD11-4610-A1BB-DEA2E604F2F1.png

FB4B4918-4871-44AF-97E1-4B7DB82FC20D.png

EA334EA1-6CB6-4DA6-90DB-FC0FBD84499E.png

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you running a skimmer at the time of your test? I was not and I believe that possibly causing some of the high Organic Nitrogen. I was also dosing NaNO3 to increase the amount of NO3 in my tank.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you running a skimmer at the time of your test? I was not and I believe that possibly causing some of the high Organic Nitrogen. I was also dosing NaNO3 to increase the amount of NO3 in my tank.
Yes. I run the Vertex Omega 150 skimmer 24/7 and 6 gallons of cheato fuge going 14 hours a day w/ kessil H80 at 100% grow.

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I’m still curious on why we are showing similar ratios in our tanks. I wonder if I should back off feeding so much. My tank is very efficient at removing NO3 and PO4 but maybe I don’t have enough biomass yet to process all the organic Nitrogen coming in the form of fish food and fish waste? When it comes to corals filling my tank mine is still immature. Where would you say your tank is at with coral bio load vs feeding. Would you consider yourself a heavy feeder?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to wonder why Triton are being so slow in giving any good advice and explanations of N-DOC, seems very strange as it’s been out months now, you would of thought they would of had this from day 1, the Facebook page is the same, who’s going to buy it until they can explain fully what the results mean and the impact if any of various ratios and levels... are they winging it as they don’t actually know??

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've sent one in, on a tank that I was pretty sure had low levels of circulating organics, and it appears Triton confirmed that.
They had no specific recommendations for this tank. I agree that their documentation on this test could be better.
Adding phosphorus information on the English language pages works now.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've sent one in, on a tank that I was pretty sure had low levels of circulating organics, and it appears Triton confirmed that.
They had no specific recommendations for this tank. I agree that their documentation on this test could be better.

So how much you feed per day?
How many fish?
How large is your coral load?
Sand Bed?
Any pics of your tank?

I figure you don't have Cyano or any other pests.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much you feed per day?
How many fish?
How large is your coral load?
Sand Bed?
Any pics of your tank?

I figure you don't have Cyano or any other pests.

Recent pic of the tank is the first one below. :)
92+24g mixed reef, sps heavy, with 11 small to medium size fish who are all fat but getting crowded by coral growth.
Feed frozen food 3-4 times a day, as much as eaten in 2-3 minutes. Plus a small piece of nori on a clip every few days. Plus reef roids at night.
Thin sand bed. Very little uncovered space on the bottom of the tank at this point.
Occasional small patches of cyano, no big deal, no specific treatment. No other pests so far.
Skimmer 24/7, and I skim wet. Very small but productive chaeto fuge.
Small amount of GAC and Purigen in a reactor. ATO + kalk reactor.
Automatic dosing of calcium, alk, magnesium and trace elements.
No carbon or amino acid dosing. Nitrate and phosphate remain low, sometimes lower than I'd like, presumably due to chaeto growth.
With low nitrate/phosphate, I'm doing a lot less water changes than I used to as well.

Bottom line for me: Whether using the Triton method or not, a chaeto fuge is amazing, when it works. :)

Last edited:

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent pic of the tank is the first one below. :)
92+24g mixed reef, sps heavy, with 11 small to medium size fish who are all fat but getting crowded by coral growth.
Feed frozen food 3-4 times a day, as much as eaten in 2-3 minutes. Plus a small piece of nori on a clip every few days.
Thin sand bed. Very little uncovered space on the bottom of the tank at this point.
Occasional small patches of cyano, no big deal, no specific treatment. No other pests so far.
Skimmer 24/7, and I skim wet. Very small but productive chaeto fuge.
Small amount of GAC and Purigen in a reactor. Kalk reactor.
Automatic dosing of calcium, alk, magnesium and trace elements.
No carbon or amino acid dosing. Nitrate and phosphate remain low, sometimes lower than I'd like, presumably due to chaeto growth.

Bottom line for me: Whether using the Triton method or not, a chaeto fuge is amazing, when it works. :)

Nice! I have 9 small to medium fish in a 52 Gallon system with little coral coverage. Me thinks I have too much bio load!

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the results. I have falling nutrients the last month so I dosed Brightwell’s Neonitro a few times in the week before test to get nitrate to 1-1.5ppm range. I don’t know if that explains the TNb.

If you tested only 1PPM NO3 than the rest is organic. TNb = 1.05ppm (Nitrate Nitrogen)
1.05 x 4.43 = 4.46 ppm Nitrate
4.43-1 = 3.43 Nitrate that is unaccounted for by your test. That means you have 3.43PPM of potential NO3 trapped in organic form.

Converting TNb into Nitrate explained in the link below

https://newsroom.unl.edu/announce/beef/5891/33379

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to wonder why Triton are being so slow in giving any good advice and explanations of N-DOC, seems very strange as it’s been out months now, you would of thought they would of had this from day 1, the Facebook page is the same, who’s going to buy it until they can explain fully what the results mean and the impact if any of various ratios and levels... are they winging it as they don’t actually know??

I have a feeling that all the results they are getting are causing more questions than answers. We are getting into the nuts and bolts of the nitrogen cycle.

Back