Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
So a few people have said they want to see the progress new Tank

The story.

Saturday morning 3 weeks ago October 5 2018 as we do every morning my wife and i were having coffee while checking email and watching the Swimmer Swimmies Swimming happily in there swimmer swimmie swimming place.
Bonnie said I hear water dripping. Is something over flowing or leaking? I go check out the tank plumbing Accessible behind the tank thru a door in the bathroom . Everything was dry so i check under the tank. Everything was wet and so was the basement floor. The sump in the basement was just about to shut off (pump set on float switch ) when i went down there .
Immediately i get a flashlight and start trying to find the leak . Nothing apparent so this brings me to th conclusion its a Leaking seal or bottom of tank crack.
We go into panic mode . Start draining the tank into temp tank and Filling up sump . We move all the Live rock and corals into the sump and cram 4 tangs into a 70 gallon hospital tank ( I know i know )

I call around while draining looking for a REPLACEMENT. Only thing i could find was a tall 220 72x24x30.. This means rebuilding the whole area as the old tank was 32 inches deep and only 22 inches high ( much preferred at the time)

Fast forward 3 weeks Due to super busy at work with a deadline approaching in a Project . We focused on getting the Stand Build Tank in and Running and a Canopy over it (I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THE CANOPY )

With my BIG Long winded post Some pics are below
Old Tank 2016.jpg

The old TANK

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW tank location.jpg

Tank torn out and New Stand started , You can see the Doors in the Bathroom to access plumbing
New Tank plumbing to basement.jpg

New Synergy Reef Shadow over flow and Plumbing to basement (Not sure about the over flow box being up to par with the one i built for old tank) It may end up changed .
New Tank Canopy  work.jpg

Tank up and Running Some Live rock and Corals still in Sump
New Tank Shelving.jpg

Front will have open adjustable shelves Will all be Trimmed out SOON
new sump 150.jpg

The Old tank Tore this Completely down , Resealed and Turned it into new Sump. Yet to be installed

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inhabitants

Q-Bert our Yellow tank .
ourmrsclownfish-10-12-2018.jpg
ourmrclownfish-10-12-2018.jpg

Our Spawning Pair of Clowns Mrs Meanie and her Husband
ourlavendertang-10-12-2018.jpg

Lavender tang .
ourhawkfish-10-12-2018.jpg

Newest addition Hawaiian Hawk Fish
ourfilefish-10-12-2018.jpg

ORA Tank Raised Matted file fish
ourbutterflyfish-10-12-2018.jpg

Our Beautiful Copper Banded Butterfly

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The existing Dungeon Sump room. Will Clean it up when i install the new sump tank
WP_20180603_10_54_42_Pro.jpg

RO-DI Storage tanks and Salt water mixing tank. They are all Connected to the Sump and Controlled by ball valves can move water from either tank to the sump or to a hose to reach the Tropical Planted tank for water changes. Total hands off water changes on the reef . turn two valves and start pump
IMG_20160307_174643.jpg

Old 70 Gallon sump .

Remember this is down in the basement in a area we use for nothing else. NOT Fancy but just works . its not as cluttered as dirty as the image looks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a VERY Dusty house..

Our house was build in 1941 You cant touch anything without a Dust storm..
Is your wife a handy lady like yourself or is this build all on you?

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your wife a handy lady like yourself or is this build all on you?

Not Really.. She is more into photography another Expensive hobby for me to pay for..
Here is her Photo page . If the link is not allowed please delete it
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bonnie_j_miller/albums/

I went to school for construction management . Then spent years doing interiors in high rise hotels.Switched to home Renovations when i got tired of all the Traveling. But i have learned so much about so many trades from the people who do them for a living. Kinda like yourself as a Electrician.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Really.. She is more into photography another Expensive hobby for me to pay for..
Here is her Photo page . If the link is not allowed please delete it
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bonnie_j_miller/albums/

I went to school for construction management . Then spent years doing interiors in high rise hotels.Switched to home Renovations when i got tired of all the Traveling. But i have learned so much about so many trades from the people who do them for a living. Kinda like yourself as a Electrician.
Hopefully she at least helps keep the dust cleaned up!

The link is just fine. She needs more fish to go with the squirrels and birds! :p

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully she at least helps keep the dust cleaned up!

The link is just fine. She needs more fish to go with the squirrels and birds! :p
Yes she got me into Fish keeping.. back 30 years ago when she first moved in with me . she got a Aquarium at a yard sale down the street from us. We went and. well i took her and she got fish.. She killed fish ..We did it again .. well more not so good outcome. .

I went in the pet store 3rd try.. I came out with ADVICE NO FISH..
4TH TRIP I Was hooked .... Its more about chemistry and water then actual fish..
Bonnie has a planted Aquarium still to today. its only a 40 gallon breeder but it produces some nice guppy fry food for the reef.

She says she has no good pics of it.. HUMM Kinda odd . I will look for one or 10 and post

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good. Looking forward to pictures of it coming along. Time to update your avatar!
isn't it funny how the things (like an old messy basement fish room) you just live with don't seem bad at all and then when you see the pictures online, you're like "we look like the freaking Clampetts" LOL. I always laugh at the dog shame pictures thinking "geesh folks you should have picked up the dirty underwear in the background that had nothing to do with the dog shame".

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good. Looking forward to pictures of it coming along. Time to update your avatar!
isn't it funny how the things (like an old messy basement fish room) you just live with don't seem bad at all and then when you see the pictures online, you're like "we look like the freaking Clampetts" LOL. I always laugh at the dog shame pictures thinking "geesh folks you should have picked up the dirty underwear in the background that had nothing to do with the dog shame".

Up to now i really have not been concerned about how that room looks. But If i am going to post pics i should prob paint and organize it a bit better this time around..

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to now i really have not been concerned about how that room looks. But If i am going to post pics i should prob paint and organize it a bit better this time around..
lol. I have a weird thing for fish frankenstein rooms.

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good @Erica-Renee ! I love the aquascape. You even built a Reef-pi? I am guessing there is little you cannot do.
The Rock work is not Complete. I am not happy with it. The Reef-pi has been running for a few months testing on the Bench , Will put it into use when i Rewire the Sump room to better connect to generator.. Giving the whole tank and sump room a Upgrade . Slowly..

Thanks for Looking

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am going to Fill the new sump with OLD Aquarium water (Doing a Big water change) Put a internal pump in it to circulate water thru the tank. WILL Let this run for the week to be sure no Changes are needed to be made. Start working on Electrical Outlet placement which will all be ran by REEF-PI Aquarium Controller Thanks to @Ranjib and the guys in the REEF-PI Thread .
Continue some framing on the new Fish room tank support and shelving upgrade. This coming Saturday I hope to tear the whole room out Install new Framing ,paint and get the new Sump Up and Running by Sunday.Will update some images of the Sump running later today. The sump water test is mostly to test Air bubble control. One of my biggest issues pushing 4k gallons of water a hour thru my existing sump.

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump and Controller testing underway , This will be ran and tweaked thru the week in preparation to put into service Very soon . Remember this is NOT Completed Wiring Do not attempt this on your own if you do not know what you are doing. Saltwater and Electric do not mix well.

Message_1540769576838.jpg Message_1540770437171.jpg Message_1540770482938.jpg Message_1540769611276.jpg Message_1540769633157.jpg Message_1540770282688.jpg Message_1540770301917.jpg Message_1540770338443.jpg

More Dreaded Dungeon Paint room photos ...

Back