Nassarius Snails Missing?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some nassarius snails at my LFS the other day. I was pretty excited because my LFS never had them in stock, and I was finally able to get a pair. Super cool, beautiful shells, love the way they dug into the sand immediatly when I added them. Next day when I fed my clowns and my new bicolor blenny, the both popped out of thesand IMMEDIATLY, just like everyone always told me they would.
They would both appear for two days after I added them, cleaning out the sand.
Its now been about 5 days since I got them, and 3 days since I last saw them. No sign of any empty nassarius shells.
Has this happened to anyone else before? Will they stay in the sand and clean it from under the surface? #reefsquad thanks for the help !

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a few nassarius snails in my 125g tank, and I rarely ever see them. Maybe once a month or so I'll see one.
I don't if that's normal or not though.
Hopefully mine are just getting used to the tank, hiding in the sand.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one that's been in there for over 3 years... and a few more small ones. Almost never see them, but every now and then I see signs they still exist. I think very early on, they are hungry, and pop out at every feeding, and then they find their place and get a steady diet and don't need to join the frenzy anymore.

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a handful in my predator tank. They disappeared for months, until I cleaned the sand and found a bunch crawling to the top of my five-gallon bucket of sand the next day. The survivors made it into the reef instead of back into the predator tank, lol

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stop all flow and try to squirt some mysis on the sand bed. If your fish don't snag it all they might come out to feed. Like @Gtinnel said, I see mine like once a month these days.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Check top rim of tank and with the end of a net, sift through the sand and they’ll pop out

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget how many I have. Less than five in my 130g. I see them once a month maybe. One here. One there. Some say they come out when you feed but I honestly don’t pay attention. But they’re there.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stop all flow and try to squirt some mysis on the sand bed. If your fish don't snag it all they might come out to feed. Like @Gtinnel said, I see mine like once a month these days.
Theres plenty of small bits of food in the sand so theyre probably just full or smth.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see mine late at night maybe once a week. I have a conch that I see one every four or five at most, it’s pretty useless.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine pop out of the sand as soon a food enters the tank! But, not much you can do if missing... it's a waiting game. They may be full and just being lazy.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine pop out of the sand as soon a food enters the tank! But, not much you can do if missing... it's a waiting game. They may be full and just being lazy.
Hoping thats it. I really like them; awesome colors, cool little/long trunks to suck up food which is quite exotic. Hopefully they pop up sometime soon. I noticed a lot of people say theres come out at night, so I'll check when the lights are out, maybe add a bit of food to lure them out.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, Nassarius's popped out today while feeding, good to know they havent been eaten or anything.

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought all mine had died via hermits...havnt seen one in over a month. Just this morning saw one flying down the glass and into the sand soon as the light came on...guess its normal for them to vanish for awhile with regular feedings

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some nassarius snails at my LFS the other day. I was pretty excited because my LFS never had them in stock, and I was finally able to get a pair. Super cool, beautiful shells, love the way they dug into the sand immediatly when I added them. Next day when I fed my clowns and my new bicolor blenny, the both popped out of thesand IMMEDIATLY, just like everyone always told me they would.
They would both appear for two days after I added them, cleaning out the sand.
Its now been about 5 days since I got them, and 3 days since I last saw them. No sign of any empty nassarius shells.
Has this happened to anyone else before? Will they stay in the sand and clean it from under the surface? #reefsquad thanks for the help !
I have them in all of my tanks and sometimes you see them and sometimes you don’t. I have found the longer that the tank matures the less likely you are to see them because they are finding food down in the sand and under rocks and things instead of actually coming out looking for food because they are hungry. You will probably get a surprise one day and they will just pop out or you will find eggs somewhere.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them in all of my tanks and sometimes you see them and sometimes you don’t. I have found the longer that the tank matures the less likely you are to see them because they are finding food down in the sand and under rocks and things instead of actually coming out looking for food because they are hungry. You will probably get a surprise one day and they will just pop out or you will find eggs somewhere.
I wouldnt mind some baby nassarius snails tbh. I do have like 40 baby margaritas right now so maybe thats not the best idea XD

Back