Need a lighting recommendation for a weird setup.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just saying just assuming everything bad can happen at any time in this hobby
yeah I know what you mean and of course, I've prepared for what I hope is every possible disaster, thanks for the concern. Murphy's law and all that lol.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I know what you mean and of course, I've prepared for what I hope is every possible disaster, thanks for the concern. Murphy's law and all that lol.
There’s a guy in my reef club that set up his tank directly below his circuit breaker... he can’t even open it now.......

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a guy in my reef club that set up his tank directly below his circuit breaker... he can’t even open it now.......
Wow, that's unfortunate. Though I assure you I put a bit more thought into my location and setup than I'm sure he did.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into his stuff, also what do you mean by black box? (also I imagine your second suggestion involves I find lights with swappable lenses or lenses at all?)
Just going back to this one since you said you're new to the hobby and no one answered this. "Black box" is a hobby term for Chinese LED lights with no real brand presence. They are often a bit lacking in features, but are effective and very affordable (often less than ¼ of the price of competing units). This makes them a solid bargain.

Personally, I'd look at doing 2 Reef Brite Lumi LED Pro strips over your tank. They're designed to sit directly on top of the tank with some mounting legs that give them a total height of an inch or so. Only downside is you would have to slide them out of the way to get in the tank, but that's not particularly difficult.

Your tank looks like a 40 breeder (36 x 18 x 16), is that correct?

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going back to this one since you said you're new to the hobby and no one answered this. "Black box" is a hobby term for Chinese LED lights with no real brand presence. They are often a bit lacking in features, but are effective and very affordable (often less than ¼ of the price of competing units). This makes them a solid bargain.

Personally, I'd look at doing 2 Reef Brite Lumi LED Pro strips over your tank. They're designed to sit directly on top of the tank with some mounting legs that give them a total height of an inch or so. Only downside is you would have to slide them out of the way to get in the tank, but that's not particularly difficult.

Your tank looks like a 40 breeder (36 x 18 x 16), is that correct?
Yes it is

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back