0   0   0
xlwr.jpg

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW that was a really unique and awesome set up! Hope to see the restoration of it!

Would love to do a build like that on my channel! Crazy awesome love the thread!

Welcome to Reef2Reef, tons of helpful people on the forum. That being said maybe you get a chance to check out my channel! Hope you like it!

OP
OP
MadsDK

MadsDK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome welcome welcome to the r2r!! Looks like you need more nitrogen going in. This could be anything from amino acids to nitrate itself, and if you're advanced you can also use ammonium. Good luck!!
I tried boosting my nitrates through feeding but I only saw phosphates rise.
My LFS also advised me to do some dosing. The problem with dosing as I see it is the size of the system and the maintenance schedule, as I do 5-10 liter water changes weekly or bi-weekly (15-30%). Thus water parameters should be kept in check by water changes. Also, I do not think dosing is going to be affordable or easy for such a small system where water parameters fluctuate quickly.
I, therefore, think I will try what imerk proposed, by rinsing 50% of my biohome media every 3 months, as I think the biological filtration in the system is too high (Can it be too high?).

OP
OP
MadsDK

MadsDK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a crisis that I have experienced before. The cause can be a continuous, slow build up of nitrates in the bio filtration. Then, you think you are helping by removing the bio filtration media or replacing it, which causes a huge spike in nitrates. I have found it best to rinse about 50% of the media in RO water (throw out rinse water!) about ever 3 months. Keep a close eye on the before/after Nitrate numbers. Don't know if this applies to you, but let me know if this helped. GOOD LUCK!
Hi and thanks for the suggestion. I think this is the right way to go. I have started testing the nitrate and phosphate weekly and I will, test your suggestion over the next 6 months or so and see how it goes :)

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried boosting my nitrates through feeding but I only saw phosphates rise.
My LFS also advised me to do some dosing. The problem with dosing as I see it is the size of the system and the maintenance schedule, as I do 5-10 liter water changes weekly or bi-weekly (15-30%). Thus water parameters should be kept in check by water changes. Also, I do not think dosing is going to be affordable or easy for such a small system where water parameters fluctuate quickly.
I, therefore, think I will try what imerk proposed, by rinsing 50% of my biohome media every 3 months, as I think the biological filtration in the system is too high (Can it be too high?).

Yes you can remove your nitrifying bacteria so the ammonia isn't 'stolen' as much (and will remove some heterotrophic bacteria that use ammonia as well). In essence this is increasing nitrogen as NH4/NH3 to your other residents. The idea that it is going to increase nitrates though? Not sure how unless you're thinking you have a large anaerobic denitrifying population in your biomedia?

Oh and to be sure I am not personally worried about nitrates at all, except maybe as a signal that there is not enough nitrogen fluxing through the system.

Yet if you want nitrate you will have to increase nitrogen in some way. That could mean dosing nitrate...So for example

It would be really inexpensive to add nitrate to your water change water to the same concentration as the tank. So if you decide to run 2ppm in your tank, then you can add 2ppm to your water change water. For a tank your size a pound of sodium nitrate would last years upon years and shouldn't cost too much. I can get a 5 lb bag in the US for $21. If you dosed 2ppm daily in your ~35 liter, plus a bit to water change, lets say 2ppm/50L or 137mg daily (which is probably a lot for your system). So in this instance a 5lb bag would last more than 16500 days.

OP
OP
MadsDK

MadsDK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can remove your nitrifying bacteria so the ammonia isn't 'stolen' as much (and will remove some heterotrophic bacteria that use ammonia as well). In essence this is increasing nitrogen as NH4/NH3 to your other residents. The idea that it is going to increase nitrates though? Not sure how unless you're thinking you have a large anaerobic denitrifying population in your biomedia?

Oh and to be sure I am not personally worried about nitrates at all, except maybe as a signal that there is not enough nitrogen fluxing through the system.

Yet if you want nitrate you will have to increase nitrogen in some way. That could mean dosing nitrate...So for example

It would be really inexpensive to add nitrate to your water change water to the same concentration as the tank. So if you decide to run 2ppm in your tank, then you can add 2ppm to your water change water. For a tank your size a pound of sodium nitrate would last years upon years and shouldn't cost too much. I can get a 5 lb bag in the US for $21. If you dosed 2ppm daily in your ~35 liter, plus a bit to water change, lets say 2ppm/50L or 137mg daily (which is probably a lot for your system). So in this instance a 5lb bag would last more than 16500 days.

I do not think dosing will work for this pico system, as I travel too much and thus won't be home to do the dosing. Additionally, I don't find it realistic to invest in auto dosing systems for such a small and simple system. I think it would be best to invest time and energy in finding the right balance of water changes, feeding, and biological filtration.
The system has a sandbed of about 5-7,5 cm fine sand, which has an anaerobic zone producing bubbles, lots of live rock, and about 1 kg of biohome media which is enough for a 100 liter system.

But dosing is something I have been looking into.

For my new 300 liter system, I am planning on using dosing as I want to try growing sps, but I have also considered it for the pico system :)

Back