OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a tank is cycled ammonia will be 0. It takes a little time for that to happen, but eventually the beneficial bacteria reach a population size to convert any ammonia to nitrite almost immediately. The same then happens with nitrite to nitrate. If a tank is cycled ammonia and nitrite should be 0. In reef tanks ammonia is problematic as it is caustic to the gills of fish. Nitrate numbers are less important to worty about.
I discovered something terrible it’s the tap water that has that same level of ammonia
So I think the tap water is where it’s coming from
It’s not my fault I brought my tap water to the fish store to be tested before starting the tank and the guy told me it was good and ammonia was 0 now I am very upset . He either lied to me or his test kit is **** .
So the problem is the tap water
Where do I go from here ?
Tap water is reading 0.05

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, don't necessarily blame the LFS. Chlorine in tap water will show up as ammonia in an ammonia test kit. However chlorine dissipates quickly when exposed to air. So by the time you get to the LFS the chlorine has gone to the point of being undetectable whereas wouldn't have had time to dissipate if you are testing at home.

Using prime while mixing salt with tapwater will help with that.

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered something terrible it’s the tap water that has that same level of ammonia
So I think the tap water is where it’s coming from
It’s not my fault I brought my tap water to the fish store to be tested before starting the tank and the guy told me it was good and ammonia was 0 now I am very upset . He either lied to me or his test kit is **** .
So the problem is the tap water
Where do I go from here ?
Tap water is reading 0.05
Did you use any products like prime in conjunction with your tap water? It will neutralize things like ammonia and chlorine. Additionally you could also add a product like marine colony to help boost your population of beneficial bacteria.

Ultimately, you are best to switch to RODI water. Reef and marine tanks differ from their freshwater counterparts and RODI is the best way to go - especially if you are considering coral in the future...

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use any products like prime in conjunction with your tap water? It will neutralize things like ammonia and chlorine. Additionally you could also add a product like marine colony to help boost your population of beneficial bacteria.

Ultimately, you are best to switch to RODI water. Reef and marine tanks differ from their freshwater counterparts and RODI is the best way to go - especially if you are considering coral in the future...
Always have used prime both for new saltwater and top ups
Uhm yeah that was the plan but when I got the tap water tested before starting the tank I was told my tap water was perfect . Now I’m annoyed at myself for not testing it myself because whoever tested the water initially is stupid for not seeing it obviously isn’t . So I will have to buy a rodi unit any other benefits besides no ammonia ?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhm yeah that was the plan but when I got the tap water tested before starting the tank I was told my tap water was perfect . Now I’m annoyed at myself for not testing it myself because whoever tested the water initially is stupid for not seeing it obviously isn’t . So I will have to buy a rodi unit any other benefits besides no ammonia ?
This is not true, chlorine tests as ammonia and even if it was ammonia and not chlorine, so prime binds that too. That is not the source then.

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M
Well, don't necessarily blame the LFS. Chlorine in tap water will show up as ammonia in an ammonia test kit. However chlorine dissipates quickly when exposed to air. So by the time you get to the LFS the chlorine has gone to the point of being undetectable whereas wouldn't have had time to dissipate if you are testing at home.

Using prime while mixing salt with tapwater will help with that.
no I don’t think you understand how much my lfs has screwed me over . First it was “ammonia at 0.05 is normal” then it was “all our tanks have ammonia and don’t listen to the internet” then shwy sold me a used led light set which I was told was new and I have got a new one now
Then they also sold me a powerhead that was electrocuting me and my fish and it ended up killing my two cleanser shrimp .
The other day I went in asking for better filter media for my canister as I noticed it was all sponge I thought maybe that’s why my blenny was sick and I explained I did a 40% water change and he freaked out and told me never to do water changes and that I had shocked my fish ....... he told me he does a 10% weekly if he has to and that that is what I have to do I don’t understand everywhere I go someone tells me different
So I chose to do the research myself and through forums like this take the advice
Because I think my lfs is useless
Also take this
They told me corals can be added to a cycling tank which I was shocked to hear
That was the first day I went there while my tank was cycling
I asked what fish should I start off with lol
(I didn’t do that )
Then a week later the other guy told me no no corals should be added to mature tanks which was a relief to hear for me ..
Then recently they setup a new display tank which I was interested in upgrading to soon which has a sump and everything double the size of my current tank
They set it up Friday and by Tuesday when I went again all their corals were in it ????????
I saw them mixing the saltwater and adding it in I was talking to the guy while he was doing it there are already angelfish in too ???

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not true, chlorine tests as ammonia and even if it was ammonia and not chlorine, so prime binds that too. That is not the source then.
I just tested untreated tap water and it had ammonia
Prime works for only 24 hours no ?
And it detoxifies not removed ammonia
Am I right ? This is what I was told

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! Chlorine, chloramines, nitrates, phosphates, metals etc. can all be found in your tap water. You will spends 100s of hours fighting off nuisance algaes if these thing get into your system, but your RODI system will filter them out, not to mention that RODI will promote livestock health.

Consider how much you need to pay for a bottle of prime... eventually that will add up too, so you might as well invest in the RODI system right away and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Additionally, if ever you need to dose your fish with prazipro, it can't be used in water that has prime in it, so you're limiting your ability to treat your animals.

I once thought I'd use tap water in conjunction prime when I was doing a TTM method of QT. I thought it wouldn't matter so I might as well cut cost. I lost some of the fish - only time that's ever happened to me during TTM, so I attributed it to the tap water.

As for your fish, did you quarantine them? Medicate them? How long have you had them? Do you notice any spots, slimy coat, change in scales or heavy breathing?

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! Chlorine, chloramines, nitrates, phosphates, metals etc. can all be found in your tap water. You will spends 100s of hours fighting off nuisance algaes if these thing get into your system, but your RODI system will filter them out, not to mention that RODI will promote livestock health.

Consider how much you need to pay for a bottle of prime... eventually that will add up too, so you might as well invest in the RODI system right away and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Additionally, if ever you need to dose your fish with prazipro, it can't be used in water that has prime in it, so you're limiting your ability to treat your animals.

I once thought I'd use tap water in conjunction prime when I was doing a TTM method of QT. I thought it wouldn't matter so I might as well cut cost. I lost some of the fish - only time that's ever happened to me during TTM, so I attributed it to the tap water.

As for your fish, did you quarantine them? Medicate them? How long have you had them? Do you notice any spots, slimy coat, change in scales or heavy breathing?
Thank you I will be getting I rodi unit .
Once I do get one should I do water changed daily or weekly or what ? What would you do ?
I buy the fish quarantined at the lfs
I don’t buy fish that have not been quarantined I have one tank so that’s the only way for me . No spots only some white spot in the beginning which has disappeared I know it’s still in the tank I know how the lifecycle works but I prefer it in the tank then treating it and bringing it back every time I add a fish or coral .

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will be getting I rodi unit .
Once I do get one should I do water changed daily or weekly or what ? What would you do ?
I buy the fish quarantined at the lfs
I don’t buy fish that have not been quarantined I have one tank so that’s the only way for me . No spots only some white spot in the beginning which has disappeared I know it’s still in the tank I know how the lifecycle works but I prefer it in the tank then treating it and bringing it back every time I add a fish or coral .
What all do you have in terms of livestock? What size is your system?

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all do you have in terms of livestock? What size is your system?
I have a vlamingi tang
Powder brown tang
Rolland’s damsel
2 clowns( ocelaris)
2 hermit crabs
2 cleaner snail
1 lawnmower blenny
It’s a 100 galon

F034B596-DAD1-43B7-B45E-07F024187800.jpeg

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angelfish was returned to the lfs because he was fighting with my special tang
Oh and I forgot I have a fire fish

F69C67F7-19D3-42D6-93FF-044612D5D8E5.jpeg

84353375-CB23-4DCB-8F03-CF7856BB3B6A.jpeg

6F31E1D0-F03A-4D39-8CB6-CC749C18B963.jpeg

DB54EB43-4828-43FB-9837-7BED470AD43A.jpeg

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blenny is still very white he is currently in the same place and not eating still btw

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a vlamingi tang
Powder brown tang
Rolland’s damsel
2 clowns( ocelaris)
2 hermit crabs
2 cleaner snail
1 lawnmower blenny
It’s a 100 galon

F034B596-DAD1-43B7-B45E-07F024187800.jpeg
Is the hang on filter your only filtration? I suggest getting a powerhead ASAP and placing it a few inches under the water line in order to get surface agitation going. This is critical for oxygen gas exchange in the tank.

Looks light on the amount of rock also which is an important part of a tanks filtering ecosystem.

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the hang on filter your only filtration? I suggest getting a powerhead ASAP and placing it a few inches under the water line in order to get surface agitation going. This is critical for oxygen gas exchange in the tank.

Looks light on the amount of rock also which is an important part of a tanks filtering ecosystem.
I have a good powerhead macspect gyre
Here is my salinity refractometer and food bucket and the controller
About the rock I did t want too much because I wanted to be able to clean all sides of the glass well

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I just want to throw this out there about the ammonia test some kits are not quite as accurate and will always read a low amount of ammonia API test kits are good for this. Good Luck!
Thank you yes I’ve never seen an api test kit here . They are hard to find I want one though

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back