Need help stocking a 75 gallon

Fishy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help stocking a 75 gallon FOWLR tank. These are the fish I would like to have but I understand they may not be compatible with this size tank or with each other.
Yellow tang
Copperband butterfly fish
Bicolor angelfish
Antenneta Lionfish
Seahorse
mandarin fish

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing this is a new setup? If yes, I'd hold off on the mandarin until the tank matures a bit and you get a population of pods going. If you're running a fuge in your sump get some pods and get them started.

OP
OP
F

Fishy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing this is a new setup? If yes, I'd hold off on the mandarin until the tank matures a bit and you get a population of pods going. If you're running a fuge in your sump get some pods and get them started.
It is a new setup also I don't have a sump I'm using a fx4 filter

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a new setup also I don't have a sump I'm using a fx4 filter
No reason you can't run a successful tank with a canister filter and hob skimmer. But if you want a mandarin, or any fish that feed primarily on pods you'll either have to culture them yourself or add them at regular intervals. Also, cbbs can be a challenge to get eating. If you decide to try one make sure to see it eat at you lfs, find out what they're feeding it, and still be prepared to have it not eat when it goes in your tank. I've had great luck with my cbb by making my own food fresh from the fish market. Welcome to the hobby btw :) .

OP
OP
F

Fishy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason you can't run a successful tank with a canister filter and hob skimmer. But if you want a mandarin, or any fish that feed primarily on pods you'll either have to culture them yourself or add them at regular intervals. Also, cbbs can be a challenge to get eating. If you decide to try one make sure to see it eat at you lfs, find out what they're feeding it, and still be prepared to have it not eat when it goes in your tank. I've had great luck with my cbb by making my own food fresh from the fish market. Welcome to the hobby btw :) .
Thank you can you give me some recommendations on what fish to go with the antenneta lionfish, yellow tang,and bicolor angelfish. I'm not going to go with the mandarin and Copperband butterfly and the seahorse.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the yellow tang needs a minimum of a 100g tank.

If you’re interested in another species of tang, a Tomini tang (or other species in the genus Ctenochaetus) stays smaller and can go in a 75g.

OP
OP
F

Fishy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the yellow tang needs a minimum of a 100g tank.

If you’re interested in another species of tang, a Tomini tang (or other species in the genus Ctenochaetus) stays smaller and can go in a 75g.
I've came up with a new list let me know if I can have these fish together
Bi-color angel
Antenneta Lionfish
Neon dottyback
cardinal fish
Fathead anthias
flame angelfish
Royal blue tang

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bi-color angel
Antenneta Lionfish
Neon dottyback
cardinal fish
Fathead anthias
flame angelfish
Royal blue tang

I assume by royal blue tang, you mean blue tang? Needs an even bigger tank than a yellow tang.

Pretty much the only tangs that can have enough swimming space in a 75 gallon tank are of the Ctenochaetus genus, also know as Bristletooth tangs.

OP
OP
F

Fishy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume by royal blue tang, you mean blue tang? Needs an even bigger tank than a yellow tang.

Pretty much the only tangs that can have enough swimming space in a 75 gallon tank are of the Ctenochaetus genus, also know as Bristletooth tangs.

Ok but are the rest ok?

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok but are the rest ok?
I’m not an expert, so I’m not going to speculate on what I’m not certain of.

I do know that lionfish will eat any other fish that can fit in its mouth.

I would recommend looking up each species you’re thinking about on liveaquaria.com. They have very thorough information for almost every species of fish available for home aquariums, including level of care required, level of aggression, whether or not they are reef safe, and minimum tank size.

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help stocking a 75 gallon FOWLR tank. These are the fish I would like to have but I understand they may not be compatible with this size tank or with each other.
Yellow tang
Copperband butterfly fish
Bicolor angelfish
Antenneta Lionfish
Seahorse
mandarin fish
All fish are compatible together when placed in resin cast. Lol. But seriously, over the years I have mixed things that really shouldn't live together with good outcomes. The one thing I refuse to do is have 2 of any fish with the exception of clowns. When adding I usually add any carnivore fish last. (lion/dwarf lion)

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am all for the more interesting social interactions of fish kept in pairs and harems. It’s really beautiful when some of them do courtship and spawning dances, chasing and circling each other and ascending in the water column. See OrionN’s Flame and Flameback Angels for example.

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend looking up each species you’re thinking about on liveaquaria.com. They have very thorough information for almost every species of fish available for home aquariums, including level of care required, level of aggression, whether or not they are reef safe, and minimum tank size.
That's what I do when considering a fish. Them and bluezooaqutics. Only thing I wish they'd add would be approximate lifespan.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bi-color angel
Antenneta Lionfish
Neon dottyback
cardinal fish
Fathead anthias
flame angelfish
Royal blue tang
Lion fish will likely eat the dottyback and cardinal, possibly others.

Stick to bristletooth tangs in a 75 (yellow eye kole tang, tomini, white tail, blue eye).

OP
OP
F

Fishy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know just about everything about freshwater fish now that I'm trying to start a saltwater tank I feel like I'm starting over lol

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do a mandarin with a canister filter its not hard to do at all but you will need to get an ORA mandarin that accepts frozen food.
Mandarin is not the fish you want with a lion though.

Back