NEED LIGHTING ADVICE PLEASE!!

PinHeadBunny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEED ADVICE PLEASE!! Alright to all you lighting experts out there, I have a JBJ 45 Cube and want to upgrade my lighting. I have about $500 to spend. I would like opinions on which route to go. I have done a lot of research, but I am torn between the Maxpect Ethereal, SB Reef Lights 16 Wifi, AI Hydra 26 or Radion xr15w Pro. The Radion would put me over budget though with the mount and Wifi reef link. Tank is about 26x19 so all of those offer enough coverage. Would love to see everyone's tanks and hear good or bad about any lights you guys have. I appreciate the help!!

OP
OP
PinHeadBunny

PinHeadBunny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the AI's suplimented with VHO actinic and 454.. I like the AI's, they have not had any issues...
I had a prime hd on my smaller tank before this one and I liked the control through the app. Just trying to make the right choice as I know I will have this light for a while

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
I like the lights but was not getting the growth I am used to seeing that is the reason for suplimenting the VHO's..
AI's are a good choice for the money..

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like (or at least not care about) shadows? Spotlights will all create fairly dramatic shadows. You might feel differently if you were coming from a tank lit by metal halides, but otherwise there seems to be a trend.

You might want to check out post #12 and #126 from the Can't decide whether to abandon LEDs thread.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't heard of us, I would recommend taking a look at the reefbreeders Photon 16-V2, they use Cree LEDs and come with a wireless controller for $339.99 shipped (they are on sale right now). They also have a much nicer look vs. the cheap black box fixtures, and a 2 year USA warranty.

If you are looking for smartphone control, the aquasanrise plus R60 would be a great fit, and has a much much more intuitive app than the black box offering, with 6 control channels and Cree LEDs.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/

Tom Davey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good success with my Radions it took me awhile of playing with the spectrum and intensity to make my cols happy. I see constant growth. Keep in mind they are expensive. For me it was worth the money. I talked to a lot of people at LFS's and read many posts and stories about other peoples experience with them. in the end the pros out weighed the cons. I have also used AI lights on other tanks and still keep one as a back up. If I understand correctly ECO Tech owns AI so the LEDs will be the same with either one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back