neoGeorge's Build: One Reef & One Planted Freshwater

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose magnesium as necessary, but my tank doesn’t seem to consume much. Yes, it’s my understanding That the part c accomplishes what many other vendors are trying to do as well - you dose it in proportion to your calcium and alkalinity. The BRS TV link that I provided has some good information and it’s worth a watch
Sweet, I’ll check it out.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Floss, the sixline wrasse, has been placed in foster care at Kona Reef Aquariums (a local LFS), and I brought back some new residents for the tank: a mandarin goby (verified eating frozen food), an orange spotted watchman goby, and a neon cleaner goby.

Freshwater is getting 3 jewel corys and a otocinclus catfish.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6F61DD15-F782-4A86-A974-722EF59EC6D7.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Floss, the sixline wrasse, has been placed in foster care at Kona Reef Aquariums (a local LFS), and I brought back some new residents for the tank: a mandarin goby (verified eating frozen food), an orange spotted watchman goby, and a neon cleaner goby.

Freshwater is getting 3 jewel corys and a otocinclus catfish.

I thought Floss was coming back nicely. Did I miss something?

Good picks on the new crew. It's nice to find a mandarin that is eating frozen!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Floss was coming back nicely. Did I miss something?

Good picks on the new crew. It's nice to find a mandarin that is eating frozen!

Thanks @crusso1993 - Floss was the sixline that I moved from Cleveland; beautiful fish and a hard worker, but she was very aggressive towards my Yellow Assessor and Tri-Color Wrasse (Bo), so I brought Floss in to the LFS for fostering. Miss that girl, but the tank is much more relaxed without her - all the other fish are now swimming front and center in the tank!

The mandarin, watchman and neon gobies seem to be doing great (1 hour drip acclimation), but I'll know more when I feed this morning. Intending to target feed the mandarin for now to ensure she has a no stress eating opportunity.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The freshwater also gets a shroud to hide the sump wires and equipment, here are before and after pics. The difference is more prominent for the reef since there are more hoses and wires, and I chose white for the shroud because the stands are white and also to help hide salt creep

8CE391AE-903D-4F25-9A92-BE46A2DE218A.jpeg

1B1E097A-A271-438C-9736-594D134C5E98.jpeg

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that you are using the same LED's on each tank.

Are the lights the exact same? Or is the FW one a different spectrum?

@count krunk Exact same lights, but running different custom programs. The freshwater has been tuned with a Seneye PAR meter; the reef is on the to-do list. Lights are Cobalt Aquatics C-ray 200...

Brandon Etzler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great dude! Mine will be here Tuesday. I got the white stand too. I will have to shim mine ,hopefully its still super supportive and not wobbly;). You made those back pieces that hide everything? Hmm how much would you charge to make me one ;)?

Brandon Etzler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what are you doing for filtration? Im gonna try two 9004 tunze skimmer. One DC one AC at same time;) At least try:) Going to go pick up the DC one now:) already have the Ac which does a solid job on my 30L . Im thinking two of these skimmers together will be as good as a full size skimmer in a sump:) At least thats my hope.

If the DC really out skims my AC one that i would probably just use the Dc and put a reactor in orher chamber. But i really think with the 2 will be sweet because they will both get water from each overflow. I think ill just run some media like [Chemipure) in each sock area in the socks but under some floss . I will then run two 150 watt heaters in same area as skimmers. This would leave me no room for refugium unless i added a hang on back which i dont plan to. Anyway we shall see:)

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great dude! Mine will be here Tuesday. I got the white stand too. I will have to shim mine ,hopefully its still super supportive and not wobbly;). You made those back pieces that hide everything? Hmm how much would you charge to make me one ;)?

@Brandon Etzler You can make your own acrylic shroud - here are the supplies that I purchased from Tap Plastics (this is for 2 shrouds):

upload_2019-5-17_11-21-59.png

Line up the acrylic pieces snuggly (I used framing clamps), then apply the cement at the inside of the joint with the applicator. Capillary action will wick the very "watery" cement into the joint and melt the two pieces of acrylic together. Allow 30-60 minutes of set time, longer if it's cool outside.

Here's an article about working with acrylic.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what are you doing for filtration? Im gonna try two 9004 tunze skimmer. One DC one AC at same time;) At least try:) Going to go pick up the DC one now:) already have the Ac which does a solid job on my 30L . Im thinking two of these skimmers together will be as good as a full size skimmer in a sump:) At least thats my hope.

If the DC really out skims my AC one that i would probably just use the Dc and put a reactor in orher chamber. But i really think with the 2 will be sweet because they will both get water from each overflow. I think ill just run some media like [Chemipure) in each sock area in the socks but under some floss . I will then run two 150 watt heaters in same area as skimmers. This would leave me no room for refugium unless i added a hang on back which i dont plan to. Anyway we shall see:)

I've stopped using a skimmer, so only mechanical filtration (filter cups) + NOPOX dosing + Vibrant. Note that the rock used in my tank is 3 years old (from my previous 28g nano tank). Before this I was using an Aquamaxx HOB skimmer, but after using Vibrant for a month or so it stopped producing skimmate, so I removed it from the system.

Good luck on your setup; it's so exciting to start a build - consider starting a build thread on R2R for your tank!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what gives? Updates?

Lol! Last 16' pod arrived last week - we moved from a 2700 sq ft home to a 2100 sq ft home, and even though I found new homes for the largest furniture before we moved, there is no basement here in AZ and we just don't fit! Overwhelmed with the task, but trying to organize every room, but for now, all the rooms are cluttered with boxes and items to organize, arghhh.

On the aquarium front, things are going quite well! Very pleased with both aquariums! The reef is much happier without the sixline wrasse :)

Thanks for asking @crusso1993 !

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back