NeonRabbit's Proxy Reef Jar experiment

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister's fiancé is an avid diver and seemed interested in my reef hobby so for christmas I sent him some LR, ceriths and some aiptasia as a little desk experiment. Well the LR bag tore and had some die off I hadn't planned for and it nuked the aiptasia. I think he was disappointed at first but was eager to continue on a small setup.

He seemed interested in the coral keeping and I sent him a ton of information on Reef Jars, basic setups and had numerous phone calls totaling several hours about reefing. He ended up getting an air pump, 1 gallon jar and ABI reef light and seemed increasingly excited about keeping some easy coral. Today he went to a LFS and picked up 2 lbs of LR, a few hermits and snails and a Kenya tree. Wrote out the instructions to acclimate them and seems like he will be finishing the jar setup later today.

This build thread will be a proxy build thread for his first reef setup. Any tips on guiding him? Tagging @brandon429 as I know he likes stuffing animals in tiny containers as much as I do.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crazy SOB did it. He ended up going with a Kenya as his first coral and got 2 lbs of additional live rock, blue legged hermits and an unidentified snail. The LFS store owner tried to convince him that he would need to cycle the jar for atleast a month before adding anything and said it would never work.

Here is the jar! Got a cool skeleton from a Scoli or Lobo which I guess is to some extent a "rock"
IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

The last jar I did I made a DIY stir plate to generate random flow so on the question of flow I am not sure how to tell him to judge flow via an air pump. Here is a short clip below that I hope attaches fine. To me it looks too strong but he filled it to the rim. Thoughts? I think it would be good to cut that in half... I will be sending him a little care package of duplicate items I have such as an API test kit for kH and Calcium, coral food, air valves ect. Very excited to suck him down the rabbit hole.

Any thoughts for a new reefer keeping a jar would be appreciated! Don't want to overwhelm him to much too soon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back